Toilet training????

Briemmartin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m wondering if you guys think it would be possible to actually toilet train a 1 1/2 year old cat, or if toilet training has been successful at all in y’alls experience. Niko has been pooping in the bathtub recently (I changed his litter a while back and changed it back when he started acting out...now he just likes the bathtub better every once in a while) we brought him to the vet, nothing is wrong, he just likes the bathtub for some reason. His litter box is outside on a cat porch so I think it may have to do with the fact that sometimes he just doesn’t like the weather. We really wanted to try to redirect him to used the toilet instead when prefers not to go outside. If he doesn’t take, we are going to move the litter box inside but want to try to make this last resort! His sister loves the litter box being outside and has never had any problems. Do you guys have any advice? Or tips on how to toilet train? Thanks in advance!!!

Kitty Beholder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My understanding is that toilet training a cat is usually a bad idea. It is not in your cat's instincts to squat at a toilet, and straddling the toilet seat will most likely stress your cat out. It's also going to make it harder to track his urine/stools for any health problems in the future. I suspect cats who use a toilet instead of a litter box have a lot more 'accidents'.

My advice is to move the litter box inside and keep the cat inside. Having him out only puts him in danger. If you're worried about a mess inside from the litter, you can always switch to paper pellet litter which has been very handy in my own experience. Just make sure to clean it often and it should be fine.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any success in my training attempts with my cat since she was a grown up (preferences and habits already formed) depended on her decision to cooperate, there had to be a reward and her basic instincts had to be satisfied. Minish sometimes poops in bathtub and she got the idea after a period of living indoors outdoors. Then she peed in the garden and pooped at home litter box where she felt safer. When we moved back to city apartment (indoors only) she started separating her pee and poop this way (when I changed litter and got a larger box she again preferred the box)

If you got the idea of toilet training because niko already goes to the bathroom, the preference of tub may depend on many factors not only preference of the room. Maybe niko likes the smell from the tub. Maybe he wants to be in the bathroom and the surface of the tub is good enough (he can scratch around the poop)

Toilet training methods I watched is based on reducing choice: smaller rings of sand day by day. If the cat falls in the bowl once, you would have to start all over again. Are you sure you want to put this pressure on yourself and niko? My answer was no (single bathroom in house)

My suggestion is adding a litter box to the bathroom in case Niko also wants to go inside. If he doesn't use it by himself you can encourage and reward. Inside the house will still be cleaner and Niko will probably be happier

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Briemmartin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both so much! I think we are just going to move it inside! Y’all are the best!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Probably would be better to add a litter box inside and leave the other one outside for Niko's sister. If it turns out that she ends up using the one inside more than outside, then you can reconsider not keeping one outside at all. But, given Niko's tendency at this point to want to use the bathtub instead of a box, having two litter boxes might keep down the amount of 'stuff' that collects in just one, as that could also be attributing to his issue.

Last edited:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I defer to Jackson Galaxy on toilet training your cat: No. You can look up the video if you want.

Cats get security & ownership from their litter boxes. If you don’t want a litter box, don’t get a cat. That said my mom had 1 cat (out of 8?) that taught himself to use the toilet to go pee..... and flush the toilet for fun! (Something you do not want your cats to learn!)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah Jackie has a pee box & a poop box. Then every couple of months he switched up what will go in each box 🤷🏻‍♀️ He even pees in one box, then crawls over the side & litter guard yo use the other boxes. His 2 ‘large’ boxes do not take up that much space. His boxes are in the closet in the bathroom. Personally I would rather give cats an extra box then deal with their accidents.

That Said I had 2 cats & 2 Buddha dome litter boxes. They were just fine with that arrangement. Those boxes were rather large though.