Toilet training.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I considered toilet training briefly but decided against it for a few reasons: I wanted to monitor for health problems as people have mentioned above, it seemed entirely too messy during the training period (especially if you only have one bathroom), and your cat may decide to eliminate elsewhere if you happen to be taking a shower or using the bathroom yourself. I have a friend who toilet-trained her cats because she has severe asthma that is triggered by any litter dust. One of her cats does fine. The other started peeing on the bed (and completely clear of health issues according to the vet) and putting the litterbox back in place has not fixed that, unfortunately.

Lots of cats can use the toilet without any of these issues, but it just didn't seem to make sense for my situation.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I considered toilet training briefly but decided against it for a few reasons: I wanted to monitor for health problems as people have mentioned above, it seemed entirely too messy during the training period (especially if you only have one bathroom), and your cat may decide to eliminate elsewhere if you happen to be taking a shower or using the bathroom yourself. I have a friend who toilet-trained her cats because she has severe asthma that is triggered by any litter dust. One of her cats does fine. The other started peeing on the bed (and completely clear of health issues according to the vet) and putting the litterbox back in place has not fixed that, unfortunately.

Lots of cats can use the toilet without any of these issues, but it just didn't seem to make sense for my situation.
did she make sure to drain out the pee from the mattress? you can soak it out with a wet tissue if you do it fast. you should then use an enzymatic cleaner, on the bed, and sheets. if they smell the pee they will do it again.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wowowow, there's been a misunderstanding here, terestrife terestrife ,
I never said I see using a leash or giving wet food as bad things.
Those were just examples Neo_23 and I used to discuss the prons and cons of toilet training.
Why do I feel like I'm being a lazy and irresponsible cat owner for wanting my cat to use my toilets ? Just read the very first and the very last sentence of your post.
I totally accept and recognize the inconvenience of not being able to watch out for urinary diseases.

Thank you for suggesting the litter robot. I didn't know it was that efficient. I admit I didn't take that into consideration.
Just giving my honest opinion. I can't think of a single reason for toilet training that would benefit a cat, so it seems like an entirely selfish (and unnecessary) decision on the owner's part.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
did she make sure to drain out the pee from the mattress? you can soak it out with a wet tissue if you do it fast. you should then use an enzymatic cleaner, on the bed, and sheets. if they smell the pee they will do it again.
She pretty much soaked her mattress and sheets in enzymatic cleaner, as well as washed all the sheets and blankets. But even replacing the sheets and getting a waterproof cover didn't really help. Nor did turning around the mattress (to make sure that he wasn't just going in the spot he peed in before).

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She pretty much soaked her mattress and sheets in enzymatic cleaner, as well as washed all the sheets and blankets. But even replacing the sheets and getting a waterproof cover didn't really help. Nor did turning around the mattress (to make sure that he wasn't just going in the spot he peed in before).
=( that sucks, there must be something wrong that is triggering it. i wonder if shes seeing a cat from the window and running to the bed? and it just coincides with the toilet training time frame?

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
=( that sucks, there must be something wrong that is triggering it. i wonder if shes seeing a cat from the window and running to the bed? and it just coincides with the toilet training time frame?
That would be an impressive stray cat, since my friend lives on the 11th floor. ;) I'm not sure about all the details now, I just know that it started a few months after she toilet trained him. Clearly could be correlation, not causation, but I'd rather not risk it since my cats have perfect litterbox habits.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That would be an impressive stray cat, since my friend lives on the 11th floor. ;) I'm not sure about all the details now, I just know that it started a few months after she toilet trained him. Clearly could be correlation, not causation, but I'd rather not risk it since my cats have perfect litterbox habits.
:flail:you never know cats are impressive creatures! i agree, im always careful when it involves litter boxes. my cats kept their old litter boxes until i saw they were comfortable with the litter robot.

jsetopani

Potty Trainer
Kitten
Purraise
I have five great cats and often work late or am out of town, so am trying to potty train them. I have been pretty successful right off with two of them using a toilet training kit and am now working on the other three. As with everything cats, they tend to watch the others and learn even more quickly. However, as this potty training project has progressed, it has quickly become apparent that while the cats can learn to use the toilet well enough, they can't ever actually flush it . . . duh!

So after some further research, I found this great automatic toilet flusher called the FlushMinder. It is designed for human use, but with a little ingenuity, I simply mounted the sensor on the open toilet lid so it would detect the cats and viola . . . automatic flushing!

I was worried that it might actually scare away the cats, but the motor on it flushes the toilet slowly and quietly so they don't run off prematurely. In fact, several of them come back to watch and listen to the whole flush thing, so guess they like it too. Not sure I can post the link for it here, but just search the "FlushMinder" on Amazon or at Water Saver Products, LLC and you will find it. Let me know how it works for you and if you have any tips or ideas.

Now I do monitor their "output" periodically with the litter box as others have noted. When I need to do that, I just put the litter box beside the toilet and close the lid so they can't use the toilet. As we know, cats are pretty tolerant of have the litter box moved around and find it easily. My toilet trained cats will go back and forth without problem and it sure is nice to have the toilet as an option most of the time because it saves a lot of cost on litter and is much less hassle . . . Judy

Lavi

Dexter, the cat with a storm in his eyes
Young Cat
Purraise
hey jsetopani jsetopani , thank you for your very useful answer.
I don't know whether to start toilet training or not... I'll have two cats next week, and I've been searching online the best litter box option (a normal one, the Luuup type one, auto-cleaning, etc). I still haven't choose any option.
Well for now Dexter has a basic litter box.
I'm just afraid He might get frustrated/stressed and have his revenge on my bed or on the dog's bed.