Toilet Training Group

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Is there a support group for toilet training cats? Please post a link here if you know of any.

Thanks in advance
daisie and SuShi

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have been toilet trained for 14 years, since they were kittens.
I don't know of any social support groups, though.

Toilet training takes a dedicated bathroom and a lot of patience. Ya gotta be ready to deal with the messes along the way. Just like training a child, you need to be aware of the potty signals to guide them to the toilet. And praise... lots of praise... and treats. And whatever you do, DON'T teach them to flush... your water bill will skyrocket.

One thing to remember is that as they get older and arthritic they may find using the toilet to be too awkward, so you may want to train for outdoors as a second option. Our 20 year old angel Belle would go out, do her business, and come right back in. It was just easier for her at that point.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daisie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi furmonster mom,

Thank you for sharing your success stories:) When I tried to train my last cat, Kiko (persian), it was a very rough ride (rebellions, stance problems etc). By the time we made it to the point where his deposits went into the toilet, I decided to stop at that stage and left the contraption on the T indefinitely. His T was not shared with humans so I was content with that achievement.

Having gone through the trials and tribulations with Kiko, I never thought I would attempt TT ever again. With SuShi, however, my instincts tell me that she is a good candidate for TT so I couldn't resist the challenge and decided to do it again. She doesn't fuss with litter (no burial ritual, no preferences for the type), she is exceptionally neat and clean, very agile and is fascinated with the water in the T. I installed a T just for her use to save our sanity in the TT process. We are on day #12 (Litter Kwitter on the T, red disc) and so far SuShi is 100% on track.

For those interested in following our TT journey, I've started a photo/video thread in the forum:

Photo/video Diary Of Sushi Toilet Training

With fingers and paws crossed,
daisie&SuShi

Patience1019

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, need help with litter Twitter training. Our little girl took to it so well that we didn't think our boy when we got him would have much issue. He learned so quick and poops in the toilet like a pro, but pees only on the litter... Won't go on the hole and cant reposition as he will jump off if you try. Read that the solution fixes itself as he hole emlarges, but when we try, he goes in the sink instead. Once we go back a step.. He goes on the litter with no issue. We have left him at this stage for months before trying to advance him.. And same result. Need tips to get him to pee in the toilet as well as he poops. Thanks.