Today My Cat Learned A Magic Trick! Ta-da!

FirstRescue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The trick: she disappeared before my very eyes in the kitchen. I thought I was watching David Copperfield.

The two monsters Cleo and Pixel were fighting over a ring pull tab in a corner of the kitchen:
IMG_0878.JPG

Suddenly Pixel (orange one) was getting smaller and smaller while Cleo kept trying to wrestle with her.

Here is Pixel starting to disappear:
IMG_0883.JPG

Then Pixel's tail disappeared and she was gone. Vanished. I remember thinking that I'd never noticed any gap in the toe kicks under the kitchen cabinets. (Toe kicks are the vertical boards at floor level under a cabinet, right where you toes would kick.)

I looked at the corner where the two toe kicks connect, but there was no gap! I was baffled as to where Pixel had gone.
IMG_0885.JPG

Hands and knees time. Turns out the builders didn't finish completely under the cabinets in the corner. There is a cat-sized gap that allowed Pixel into the dead space!
IMG_0886.JPG

I thought I might have to get a power saw to cut into one of the cabinets to get her out, but Pixel was able to get back out with no problem. But she's still a scrawny kitten now. I stuffed the space with stiff paper as a temporary measure to keep her out. Naturally, she's not happy about this.

If you have corner cabinets and a small cat, you might check them to see if you have this situation.

This is the second scare she's given me. Last time, Pixel blockaded me from opening the bathroom door.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
The trick: she disappeared before my very eyes in the kitchen. I thought I was watching David Copperfield.

The two monsters Cleo and Pixel were fighting over a ring pull tab in a corner of the kitchen:
View attachment 197277

Suddenly Pixel (orange one) was getting smaller and smaller while Cleo kept trying to wrestle with her.

Here is Pixel starting to disappear:
View attachment 197278

Then Pixel's tail disappeared and she was gone. Vanished. I remember thinking that I'd never noticed any gap in the toe kicks under the kitchen cabinets. (Toe kicks are the vertical boards at floor level under a cabinet, right where you toes would kick.)

I looked at the corner where the two toe kicks connect, but there was no gap! I was baffled as to where Pixel had gone.
View attachment 197279

Hands and knees time. Turns out the builders didn't finish completely under the cabinets in the corner. There is a cat-sized gap that allowed Pixel into the dead space!
View attachment 197280

I thought I might have to get a power saw to cut into one of the cabinets to get her out, but Pixel was able to get back out with no problem. But she's still a scrawny kitten now. I stuffed the space with stiff paper as a temporary measure to keep her out. Naturally, she's not happy about this.

If you have corner cabinets and a small cat, you might check them to see if you have this situation.

This is the second scare she's given me. Last time, Pixel blockaded me from opening the bathroom door.
They are growing so fast. Boy are they really keeping you on your toes!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
:lol::lol::lol: That's a kitten for you! Our last cat pulled a disappearing act at ten weeks, right before our eyes. He squeezed behind the radiator! Talk about panicking for a minute or two.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FirstRescue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yikes, the radiator would be very scary, especially in cold weather. Power tools wouldn't even help. Thanks goodness they're made of India rubber when they're young.