Today I Catch The Feral!- Help!!

Mim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This evening after I get out of work at 3 p.m. I'm going to be catching mr. Grey, the gray feral cat that lives in my backyard. He's now openly socializing with me, meows at me to pet him and waits at the back door of my house for me to come home every day. This is the day that I take him to the vet to get looked over, neutered and then his shots. I know catching him is going to be a problem but I'm up for the challenge. I'm looking for tips on how to safely catch him and what to do when I bring him back home. Thank you!!!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he allows you to pet him it shouldn't be an ordeal at all. Ger your carrier and open the door, most cats become curious and walk right in that are not feral. And if he is letting you pet him he is not feral, but a stray and partially unsocialized. You have to let him get half way in and then push him from behind, You have to be forceful and quick, don't let him back out or you won't get him near it again. If he won't go in, put a small amount of dry food in the back of the carrier to entice him, not wet, or he will get it all over himself. You are going to feel bad, he is going to cry and be really scared. It may be a good idea to throw a towel over it to calm him. I always get sick to my stomach and almost cry when I do this, and I have done it many times. But it always turns out for the better in the end, they are so much more happy after neutering and don't get into fights and get beat up. When you get him back, try to keep him contained in a garage or shed with a place to hide for a while, or even your bathroom, unless he goes bezerk.You don't want him being so scared he runs so far he gets lost. I have never had this happen, but it could. Neutering is fairly easy on them, they are back to normal usually the next day or even in hours. Good luck and keep us posted.

Make SURE you post a note on the carrier that he is unsocialized, if he has been on his own for a while you don't want a tech to let him out or pick him up and get bit, then they have to keep them in quarantine for rabies and that is terribly traumatic on the cat. My vet has a chamber to put the whole carrier in to give them a gas first to calm them, it works very well and no excess trauma.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the advice, but sadly he had Feline Leukemia and had to be put down. I am very thankful for the help, the entire capture went very well. He was such a lovely kitty.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry...... He knew you were trying to help him and loved you for it, my thoughts and prayers are with you......

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for the kitty. Thank you for doing your best to help him.