Today I almost maimed one of my cats ...

adering

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently took in a stray that I found under a parked car. It is the only kitten/cat I have ever met that actually came toward me when I went "pst-pst-pst."
While not paying attention, I started closing a door. He had poked one of his arms through the gap between the inner edge of the door and the door frame, so as I closed the door, it started to pinch him.
Fortunately, I was closing the door relatively slowly and fortunately, he started screaming in outrage.
His arm is fine. It almost wasn't. If I'd given the door a good push, I would have certainly shattered the bones. And due to the coronavirus -- the vet's office emailed just yesterday that they'd laid off 75% of the staff -- I may not have been able to get the necessary care for him from my vet.
And why am I telling you all this? Because it's a simple mistake to make, a momentary lapse of attention. But maybe you'll remember it one day, just in passing, and save your cat a very painful trip to the vet.
Kittens are explorers, and they have no sense. It's a straight line from the top of the head to the tail (as some comedian observed once).

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. I broke one of my kitten’s tail when she leaped into the dryer just as I was shutting the door.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adering

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I almost dried one of the cats in a dryer. He jumped in during the two seconds between scooping some laundry out of the washer and throwing it into the dryer. I just saw the back end of him disappearing into the machine. I never would have known otherwise (until I took the laundry and my fluffy dead cat out of the dryer at the end of the cycle).
Every day, I worry.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Never hurts to remind everyone of how fast these things can happen, especially now, when many vets' offices are closed, or nearly so.