Toaster Oven and Cats

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about getting rid of my microwave and replacing it with a toaster oven. From what I remember though, toaster ovens get incredibly hot on the outside. I'm afraid my cats might walk by on the counter and accidentally touch it or something while I am cooking something and get hurt.

Does anyone here have a toaster oven? Do the cats generally stay away from it while it is on?

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have a regular oven?  What would you do without a microwave?  I have a small toaster oven, and it's great for toasting, but also when I make tuna melts, and want to melt the cheese on top. My regular oven stopped working so I bought a large toaster oven which fits a 9 by 13 rectangular pan for casseroles. I have also baked chicken, and whatever else you would want to bake or roast. I don't use the big toaster oven to make toast, although it does have a setting for that. I think it's a Black and Decker, I ordered it from Walmart online. I could not be without my microwave!  And I have enjoyed both toaster ovens. The small one was some off brand I found at Big Lots, like $20.  I've had it about 5 years. My cats have never gone near either of these appliances, but they are kept on the opposite side of the kitchen, which doesn't interest them because I do all the prep and cat food can opening on the other side!  Hope that helps.

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I believe there are appliances that combine both microwaves and toaster ovens together. I would assume the all-in-one would have a thicker door and won't emit too much heat. 

I still need a microwave though! But we might be one of those families with excessive amounts of appliances. We have a toaster oven, microwave AND a regular toaster...

My cat doesn't walk up on top of the counter where all the hot appliances are so I can't help you there! Sorry

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think those are toaster oven with convection feature which cuts the cooking time down. My big toaster oven has that feature, but I haven't tried that yet. I'm with you mingking, too many appliances!  I also have a Ronco set it and forget it rotisserie, Nesco counter top roaster (which are stored away)  But all the rest of this stuff is impeding on my valuable counter top real estate!

Last edited: