To Say Goodbye

Wonderfulcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is the hardest decision ever. :(

We discovered that Nala suffers from cognitive dysfunction and has been for quite some time. She has been wandering off again because the kids accidently let her out and she is aggressive towards the other cats now. I thought it was going better yesterday, but then she ATTACKED Scarlet this morning (Scarlet opened the door herself and wanted to greet Nala). She has never attacked any cats before. And she isn't using the litter box anymore even though I placed it so that it would be easy to find. The other cats are confused about her behavior and my children have been very sad and crying while Nala was gone. They were so happy when she came back. But it seems like all Nala wants right now is to run away and then they will be sad again. She sits and waits by the door all the time and we can't open any windows.

How to make the decision and say goodbye? It doesn't make it any easier that it is my 4 year old daughter's cat and I know she'll be crushed. And even though Nala is acting this way she still greets me and purrs when I talk to her. I've had her for 13 years. I don't want to have her put down.

But I don't think we can give her a good life anymore. :(

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is nala on any medication for her cognitive dysfunction ? Maybe her aggression towards the other cats is that she wants to be left alone ? Or maybe the aggression is caused by something else not from cognitive dysfunction. I dont think you should put nala down , because she wants to go outside all the time. Maybe Nala is hearing another cat out there outside thats why she is trying to get out to see him/her ? When you mentioned that Nala is more aggressive now because she has been outside, maybe nala is learning to become more territorial to the other cats ? When she goes out, she is probably marking her space from the other cats, probably also learning to fight with them to claim her territory, that when she returns back inside, she starts do the same to the other cats inside the house. It sound more of a territorial thing going on , rather than a cognitive dysfunction.

The behavioral signs of cognitive dysfunction tend to become clearly noticeable in cats that are 10 years of age or older. The signs include spatial disorientation; wandering away from home into unfamiliar territory; lack of interest in playing; excessive sleeping; altered cycles of sleep and wakefulness; long periods of staring blankly into space or at walls; indifference to food and water; urinating and defecating outside the litter box; and seemingly unprompted episodes of loud vocalizing, frequently in the middle of the night.

Last edited:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not an expert here, but I believe she does not need to be put down.

You can still provide her the quality of life that she needs, although not as much as she was much younger. Just like humans suffering from disorders associated with aging, it is just recommended to limit her access to the parts of the house that may present danger to her or to other cats, set a fixed schedule for feeding and playing, and try as much as you can to prevent her from getting out of the house by herself. You can also add more litterboxes in case she experiences excessive urination or even pooping. If there is no catio, you can also build one for her if possible.

You said she still greets you and purrs at you when you talk to her. Just continue doing this as you talking to her obviously soothes her. Surrounded by her loving family who understands her now more than ever, this will be her happy memories she will bring with her when the time comes that she will pass through this earth.

My prayers.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with the catio idea, to keep her away from the other cats. She needs routine with feeding and sleeping and toilet time. I think the kids and other cats are probably making her more agitated at the age of 13 years old, she wont be as playfull as the other cats. Leo in my profile pic was almost 12 years old, and would like to lay around more rather than go chasing other cats and play with them. So imagine that you are a mature person who wants to relax, lay around and not be bothered by anyone, and then people and kids keep irritating you , doing things you dont like, of course you will snap at them and then try to leave the area where you are getting annoyed at all the time. For Nala it seems that when she is outdoors, she probably finds a nice shrub to sleep under to sleep during the day, and when she comes indoors she is trapped with all the noise and have to worry about the other cats bothering her.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the catio idea, to keep her away from the other cats. She needs routine with feeding and sleeping and toilet time. I think the kids and other cats are probably making her more agitated at the age of 13 years old, she wont be as playfull as the other cats. Leo in my profile pic was almost 12 years old, and would like to lay around more rather than go chasing other cats and play with them. So imagine that you are a mature person who wants to relax, lay around and not be bothered by anyone, and then people and kids keep irritating you , doing things you dont like, of course you will snap at them and then try to leave the area where you are getting annoyed at all the time. For Nala it seems that when she is outdoors, she probably finds a nice shrub to sleep under to sleep during the day, and when she comes indoors she is trapped with all the noise and have to worry about the other cats bothering her.
True. Nala is now at her point in time when she just wants to be left alone, sleep and bask in the sun. To her that is her quality of life at her age. A catio is perfect for her - living her life outdoors yet still secured indoors.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take it she has been thouroughly examined and nothing physically wrong was found? Pain can cause many of those symptoms too, arthritis or an injury. you might want to start with some pain meds, and ask the vet what he recommends to do. I too, would start with maybe one of those 'chicken coops' the have now to see if that would help, but really recommend you try meds first and letting her enjoy some outside time, because the guilt and second thoughts you have any time you euthanize is overwhelming, but it helps to know you have exhausted every avenue you have first. I'll pray for you all, bless you for your love for this sweet girl.....

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with di and bob, dont put her down. Leo had a limp and the pain caused his aggression and some problem with his spine. He never once attacked me in my life, he was a gentle cat, loved belly rubs, placid just loved to hang around , sleep or be near me for a 6.5kg cat, until this limping started . So you can imagine his strength when he would go into attack mode, with teeth and claws and all. I managed his aggression by managing how i was working with him. I would observe him to see when or what is triggering the aggression, such as eyes becoming wider or not, if i petted him the wrong way, or give him a quiet place to relax in away from outside noise and indoor noise. If i would come close to him, i let him smell my hand to let him know i wont touch him in his sore spot, i try to redirect his aggression before he starts into it, you can tell from their body movements and eyes and i listen to his meow when they are going into attack mode. He would produce a different meow sound just before he was preparing to go into attack mode. Redirect his focus from this attack mode preparation to look at and focus on something else . And as Di and bob said it could be some injury or arthritis in the leg or spine, a pinched nerve etc that may be causing this aggression.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wonderfulcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are many replies. I will try to answer all of them.

I haven't talked to the vet about it yet. I didn't know there was medication for cats? I hope the vet can help on what is best for Nala and if she thinks it is cognitive dysfunction.

There is nothing physically wrong with her except she is hearing impaired. It started about two years ago, I think. And she was constipated one time and was treated but that's long ago. She had a terrible bellyache and I could hardly touch her without her making noises. It didn't make her aggressive though.

It was our plan that she should be in a room in another building that has access to a catio but it is also meant for our other cats and that is why we suddenly didn't know what to do with her. But for now we will try and keep the other cats in the house and then only Nala in the room so that she can't hurt Scarlet again. There is no way we can divide our house to separate the cats but we can try it this way.

She loves attention from us - also the kids. She is not this aggressive in generel only towards Scarlet who has done absolutely nothing. She is very calm. Scarlet is a cat just to be clear.

I don't think she acts territorial - she acts scared and as if the other cats are strangers. The description of cognitive dysfunction fits perfectly to what I have experienced with her.

The problem having her inside the house is mostly that she is trying to get out all the time and that she reacts on simply seeing the other cats from a far distance. The other cats aren't bothering her all the time. Scarlet quietly greets her a few times, that's it. And only a month ago Nala was completely friendly towards the others. Then she went nuts and ran out the door at the sight of one of them. It's like suddenly out of the blue she is different.

The aggression is only the newest development in a long story of symptoms of a more and more confused cat that now walks strait past the litter box when she was supposed to use it and circles around in a corner for no reason, wanders off and one time came back with a head injury, has started meowing louder, sleeps more during the day, seems to hate being inside the house at periods of time and then becomes normal for another period. It's up and down and new strange behavior all the time. I am hoping she will have a better period and be able to live with the other cats again.

Wonderfulcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:
Hi everyone
I almost forgot about this thread. I want to thank you all for your interest in the situation with Nala. Maybe you are wondering how it's going? We didn't put her down! She seemed to get better and we managed to arrange things so that Nala could live alone with Star and Boris and not with the rest of the cats.

It is going so well with Nala now. She is very happy and healthy and my girl talks with her every day and they are so sweet together. :)

Last edited:

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Update:
Hi everyone
I almost forgot about this thread. I want to thank you all for your interest in the situation with Nala. Maybe you are wondering how it's going? We didn't put her down! She seemed to get better and we managed to arrange things so that Nala could live alone with Star and Boris and not with the rest of the cats.

It is going so well with Nala now. She is very happy and healthy and my girl talks with her every day and they are so sweet together. :)
This made me cry happy tears. Yay! Thank you for loving this cat and doing everything for her.

Wonderfulcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes it certainly is a win win! :D And Nala is so calm and enjoys living with her two best friends. I never thought I should see her share bed with another cat since her sister died about 9+ years ago. But she and Star are so close now. :)