To blog or not to blog

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Is anyone here a blogger?  Or decided not to?

My organisation is looking at starting up a blog and it is likely to be me who organises it and keeps it going.

I'd love any advice on, firstly, is it a good idea, and then any other comments (workload, does only one person take on the blogging for an organisation etc etc)

jazzythecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I tried blogging, got very bored of it after a while and I couldn't think of anything to add to it. If you have something to say I think it's a good idea, good luck with it!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMHO, if this is for work you are way better off doing facebook and tweeter. Social media marketing can do a LOT to help a business nowadays if you know how to do it. You can reach an exponentially higher number of people on social media networks that you wouldn't simply be able to by blogging.....
My honest opinion FWIW. I do have a blog, and it is stopped now as I am too busy for my work. If I worked at the marketing department of my Company, I would push for Social Media instead.....
You can always do both (a lot of work for one person alone, I think, especially if you are creating the promotions too), but blogging wouldn't be my first priority in all honesty.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
IMHO, if this is for work you are way better off doing facebook and tweeter. Social media marketing can do a LOT to help a business nowadays if you know how to do it. You can reach an exponentially higher number of people on social media networks that you wouldn't simply be able to by blogging.....
My honest opinion FWIW. I do have a blog, and it is stopped now as I am too busy for my work. If I worked at the marketing department of my Company, I would push for Social Media instead.....
You can always do both (a lot of work for one person alone, I think, especially if you are creating the promotions too), but blogging wouldn't be my first priority in all honesty.
Thanks, Carolina.

The thing with our organisation is that I didn't explain is that it isn't about advertising ourselves; it's more about providing information/exchange of ideas for members.  If we had our own Facebook page or Blog, it would be restricted to members only. 

That means that so much research I do is not very useful as most articles etc are about getting the information out to as many people as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Well, we decided not to blog, and I'm pretty happy about that, as I would have ended up with the job.

We're sticking to our regular newsletter, which is really comprehensive with great articles (and that's a lot of work!), regular email notifications and Facebook.  (What you were saying, Carolina, helped me to make an argument against it, so thank you!)