Tnr For Feral Cat, When Can You Release?

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So we just caught a momma cat where we recently found a kitten two weeks prior. Taking her tomorrow to get fixed. Was curious how soon after her surgery can we release her back to where we got her? Mainly asking because we cannot let her back out of the cage again. She just about destroyed our bathroom lol.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there are no complications, you can release her in about 48 hours. If she is either pregnant or in heat when they spay her, there is a lot more bleeding and swelling and it's a more complicated surgery, and may require a longer recovery time. You may be able to keep her in your bathroom for the few days after the spay because she will still be groggy from the anesthesia. If you request that they give her an injection for pain as well (the ideal) that will sedate her for a few days. Unlike a male cat getting neutered, a female getting spayed is a hysterectomy, which is major surgery. I would not release her until she is fully alert and recovered, and she is eating and using the litter box. Also, some clinics will board a feral female cat recovering from the surgery for a few days. The clinic I use for my ferals has boarded them for free for me. This would be the ideal situation for you. Good luck and thanks for helping this kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If there are no complications, you can release her in about 48 hours. If she is either pregnant or in heat when they spay her, there is a lot more bleeding and swelling and it's a more complicated surgery, and may require a longer recovery time. You may be able to keep her in your bathroom for the few days after the spay because she will still be groggy from the anesthesia. If you request that they give her an injection for pain as well (the ideal) that will sedate her for a few days. Unlike a male cat getting neutered, a female getting spayed is a hysterectomy, which is major surgery. I would not release her until she is fully alert and recovered, and she is eating and using the litter box. Also, some clinics will board a feral female cat recovering from the surgery for a few days. The clinic I use for my ferals has boarded them for free for me. This would be the ideal situation for you. Good luck and thanks for helping this kitty.
That makes sense. I’ll check with the place we take her to and see if they will hold her. Im afraid to let her out again after how she acted. Not sure if she will destroy the place again or if we will will be able to get her back in the cage.