Titer Test

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would like to share my titer test experience and results I had done for Ziva recently.
I got Ziva from a shelter near the end of August 2017. She was approximately 3 years old. I know almost nothing of her past. I do know she got her vaccines at the shelter. We visited our vet shortly after bringing her home for a general check up.
A year passed and we received notice from our vet that vaccines are due. Rabies and FRVCP. I replied that I know we have to do the rabies shot because of laws, but I would like to titer test the FRVCP. Our vet practices both holistic and traditional. They told me that they have sent out titers for dogs before, but never for a cat. Ziva is their first. They needed to check with the lab they use.
At our annual appointment Ziva got her check up, rabies shot and blood sample taken for a FRVCP panel. The vaccine would of been less than $20. The 3 titer tests were considerably more.
The results came back showing the vaccines still present in Ziva's system as I had expected. We will titer again in 3 years. My personal belief is that she is most likely good for life.
I took 3 screen shots on my phone of the report. You may need a larger screen to read them.
IMG_7888.PNG
IMG_7889.PNG
IMG_7890.PNG

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vaccines last much longer then originally thought. Things are changing though. The general recommendation now for indoor cats is every three years when it used to be annually. I think in time that may get to be a longer period then three years. More and more vets are also stopping with the vaccines for senior cats that are indoors and have a good vaccine history.

Rabies vaccinations are a matter of public policy and local and state laws.