Tired of wiping up water

buckeye204

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two year old yellow tiger cat plays in his water bowl. He will take his paw and scoop water all over the floor. Is there any type of bowl that will prevent this? I have tried everything. I even bought him a water bottle with a dish attached. Help!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buckeye204

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have, but I had to change the towel everyday and I was running out of towels.
And if I forgot, then the towel would get mildewed underneath.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's just playing with it, my Sophie does it as well.

Just have two hand towels, one in the morning, then change it at night so the other one will be dry to put back the following day, or use paper kitchen roll

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see how that kind of play can be avoided.

However, you can try out fountains risk free at Petsmart or Walmart, as either retailer takes pretty much anything back. I would hold off on using the filter though if you're not sure you're going to keep it, although they will still take it back either way.

You can see how it works with the Drinkwell Platinum which both of them should carry.

vettechlauren

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

I don't see how that kind of play can be avoided.

However, you can try out fountains risk free at Petsmart or Walmart, as either retailer takes pretty much anything back. I would hold off on using the filter though if you're not sure you're going to keep it, although they will still take it back either way.

You can see how it works with the Drinkwell Platinum which both of them should carry.
A cat at the shelter i volunteer at will scoop and splash water everywhere if it's not the fountain kind. She just likes moving water, it's weird. I would definitely listen to the advice i'm quoting from Ducman69. It's worth a shot.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another idea is to keep a plastic tray under your cats water bowel. This is what I do with the water bowels in my home. It has worked well for me. I will post a photo tonight that shows better what I am trying to say.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Another vote for plastic trays under water bowls. The type you see in cafeterias, with low sides, work really well. If they have a higher rim the bowls have to be placed near a corner to allow easy access without the cats having to stand on the trays.

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i use a cafeteria type tray too and it works out pretty good. one of my furbabies loves to play with water. i tried the towel routine and it was still a mess.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a fountain that keeps Mooch from splashing her water. I also keep a plastic mat under it (one with sides). She has done it since she was a kitten. I've had the fountain at least 5 years now and I'm starting to have some trouble with it...but it was worth every penny! She used to soak the floor and the wall next to it!

lisa4502

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When you find out a solution let me know. My little terror also likes to tip his bowl over or scoop out the water. I currently have to keep a towel under the bowel but I need a better solution. Just know you are not alone.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A cafeteria tray would never keep Scaredy from soaking my kitchen. Her water bowl in set in a tupperware-type container - sides are about the same height as water bowl.

It has saved my kitchen floor.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with the others on the fountain suggestion. Spud used to make a mess, he had to paw the water before drinking. It seemed that he did that to judge the level of the water before drinking. We got him a fountain and he enjoyed drinking from the stream and never played in the water after that. We have a Drinkwell fountain that is about 8-9 yrs old, still going strong. Spud is gone now but Thai enjoys his filtered water stream still, he's never drank from anything else since he's been with us.