Tired Of Blue Buffalo

Arn

A life without cats is no life!
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats a 2 year old(Moonlihht) and a 4 year old(Snowflake). Snowflake seams to be eating a lot and she's putting on a lot of weight. We free feed them blue's adult healthy living dry food which is the only food that Snowflake will eat. I want to change their food because of Snowflake's weight issues and I think it keeps giving her ear infections. I'm just not sure which food to try next. Snowflake is very picky but I want them on something healthy and I keep reading that they should be on wet food or homemade food not dry. What is a good healthy wet food or homemade food recipe and has anyone used The Honest Kitchen?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
There are a lot of very good-quality cat foods, but what's available depends on where you live. My general checklist for cat food is that it should be grain-free, potato-free, carrageenan-free, and have meat listed as the first ingredient. Meat is generally a preferred protein to fish for cats, because fish can contain mercury, but I think the general consensus is that a little bit of fish is fine, as long as it's not the main protein source.

Probably a lot of Snowflake's weight gain came from overeating while free-feeding, so when you switch to the new food, I'd suggest transitioning to scheduled feedings (with wet food this is basically a necessity because it would get gross after leaving it out for hours).

You can ask your vet about what Snowflake's daily caloric intake should be... there's a way of computing it that I'm not familiar with (but other TCS members are, so I'll just leave that to the nutrition experts to contribute ;)). Being on a wet food diet will also help to control Snowflake's weight because the higher water content keeps cats feeling fuller for longer. Other posters will probably be able to help you out more. :thumbsup:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I absolutely agree with the above post.

There are so many choices of canned foods to go with, but the best food is one your cat(s) will eat :wink:. You and only you will have to figure that one out, possibly by trial and error. I had four cats that were free fed kibble with I managed to convert them to an all wet diet, so I know it can be done. Perhaps these articles will help you.

Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food (canned, Raw, Or Homemade)

How To Choose The Right Food For Your Cat

What Makes The Best Canned Cat Food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Arn

Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the links, I'll look them over. It took months before we found a food that Snowflake would eat. I was so worried about her because she would only eat small amounts or none at all and was dropping weight until we tried blue, but I have to find something else. I just don't trust the brand anymore.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with all of the above, and that free feeding almost always leads to overeating. I'm dealing with that right now with my mom's cat. However I would like to add that before cutting back on her food or putting her on a diet, please consult your vet to find out the right amount you should feed her so she will lose weight slowly. Cats are a bit more delicate when it comes to dieting and if they don't get enough protein or their blood sugars drop they can get fatty liver disease.

Dieting cats isn't as cut and dry as dieting dogs or some other animals, so make sure you talk to a vet first.

Arn

Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the info.
Well I tried to switch them to th e new food by Dr. Elsey and both cats HATED the dry. The younger one Moonlight ate a lot of the canned turkey but Snowflake only licked the juice and state maybe a teaspoon of it before she started scratching at it. I held out for a whole day before I gave in and poured her some blue buffalo. I dont know how I'm going to get her to switch foods without a fight.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First you need to get them on scheduled meals. Have you accomplished that yet? That won't help Snowflakes ear issues, but it is the first step in switching up the type of food she eats.

What different wet foods have you tried? Even Fancy Feast Classics should be fine for her ear issues. (and most cats love those) I actually used Soulistic for our transition, after trying several other brands. The key is to figure out whether or not she likes pate, shreds, chunks, etc., but remember, since she has an issue with yeast (we think), you need to keep the carbs low, so if you go with anything other that pate, you'll need to look closely at the ingredient list.

Arn

Kitten
Purraise
I've tried to put them on a schedule but Snowflake cries until we feed her. We only buy pate canned food for them and I dont feed them friskies because of the ingredients. This is all the info that they list for their foods.

Attachments

thehistorian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've tried to put them on a schedule but Snowflake cries until we feed her. We only buy pate canned food for them and I dont feed them friskies because of the ingredients. This is all the info that they list for their foods.
Here is the thing: you must endure the whining. I know it sounds awful and possibly detrimental your own health, but you cannot let Snowflake rule the pride so to speak. You rule the pride. First, get her on a schedule.

My first question is: Do you have her eating both wet and dry right now? I ask because under no circumstances do you want to make a sudden change to her diet. Once you have her on a schedule, you should begin to slowly introduce a new food. I cannot stress enough how important a schedule is.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
:yeah: You will probably NEVER transition Snowflake if you don't get her on scheduled meals first. Believe me, I've been there, done. thehistorian thehistorian has given you excellent advise.

Oh, and BTW, many cats do not like what seems to be the BEST foods out there. Even now, mine often refuse the most expensive foods with the very best ingredients I can find for them. They don't know what kibble is anymore, but they also still refuse certain wet foods. One of the favorites among cats here on TheCatSite seems to be Nutro Natural Choice Chunky Loaf Chicken.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with thehistorian thehistorian . Whining/begging is unfortunately part of dieting a cat. My senior cat has been on a diet and slowly losing weight for the last 10 months, and we're only about half-way to the "finish line". If I am walking anywhere in the house (i.e. not sitting down) he gets in front of me and tries to lead me to the kitchen so that I'll "notice that his saucer is empty". When I'm in the kitchen, he sits by his saucer and stares at me. He doesn't meow non-stop any more though. The first few months, every time he meowed for food, I pick him up, hugged him and said, "I love you, too, Tan Man." Now he only meows sort of half-heartedly shortly before he knows he is due a scheduled meal.

Just pretend you don't understand what she's meowing about and make a fuss over her with a good petting, or pick up a string toy and say, "Oh, you want to play?" She'll decide you're too stupid to know she's asking for food, and settle into her new routine. :p

Mary Nielsen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would definitely recommend wet food over dry if you will go for the commercial food diet and not preparing food on your own. But please if you can afford it, go with HUMAN graded, cat food ingredients in your wet food.

However, if you do want to prepare food on your own then you must be aware that preparing a nutritionally balanced diet is not as easy as it seems and especially for a cat that has ear infections like yours.

It will depend on a lot of factors like cats diet until now, cats age, breed, allergies, known illnesses and if a cat is prone to some diseases in future. Your veterinarian MUST do an exam and help you come up with a proper nutrition plan if you wish to feed your cat a home made diet. You can read more about it here How to Make Homemade Food for Your Cat - FelineLiving.net

Just please make sure you talk to a vet about your cat's condition before switching to homemade diet.. Many pet owners with their best intentions in mind, often do more harm than good by switching their pet to a homemade diet because it is not as simple as cooking a nice recipe. Sure, you can find many cat homemade diet recipes online and they will even tell you about the great nutritional benefits of them but what they can't tell you is the bloodwork of your cat and its nutritional needs considering its current state (age, weight, past illnesses, if it's prone to some disease, etc..)

Even the famous Dr. Karen Becker will tell you that homemade pet diet is a great thing but only if done right.
Listen to her here:
She really knows her stuff about pet nutrition. You can see her website too and read further about this.

But when it comes to transitioning your cat from one type of diet to another or from one cat food to another you must accept that there will be resistance by your cat and this can be due to many reasons and it is usually not something to be worried about. You just have to take it and endure it until the cat is transitioned. Remember persistence is the key. Do not give in to your cat's meowing, she is just reacting to the new nutrition way.

The best thing you can do is give your cat different attention than she is asking. If she is meowing because of your diet scheduling and diet changes simply play with her or pet her but don't give in to her diet requests as you know what is best.

Last edited:

thehistorian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with thehistorian thehistorian . Whining/begging is unfortunately part of dieting a cat. My senior cat has been on a diet and slowly losing weight for the last 10 months, and we're only about half-way to the "finish line". If I am walking anywhere in the house (i.e. not sitting down) he gets in front of me and tries to lead me to the kitchen so that I'll "notice that his saucer is empty". When I'm in the kitchen, he sits by his saucer and stares at me. He doesn't meow non-stop any more though. The first few months, every time he meowed for food, I pick him up, hugged him and said, "I love you, too, Tan Man." Now he only meows sort of half-heartedly shortly before he knows he is due a scheduled meal.

Just pretend you don't understand what she's meowing about and make a fuss over her with a good petting, or pick up a string toy and say, "Oh, you want to play?" She'll decide you're too stupid to know she's asking for food, and settle into her new routine. :p
Haha, exactly my point! Luckily, my big boy is pretty well behaved and it has not been too hard to get him on a schedule. However, he does follow me around and meow in his squawky baby meow when the bowls are empty after breakfast, lunch, and dinner. He expects me to refill them. :lol:

I just shower love and affection on him and he calms down.

thehistorian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:yeah: You will probably NEVER transition Snowflake if you don't get her on scheduled meals first. Believe me, I've been there, done. thehistorian thehistorian has given you excellent advise.

Oh, and BTW, many cats do not like what seems to be the BEST foods out there. Even now, mine often refuse the most expensive foods with the very best ingredients I can find for them. They don't know what kibble is anymore, but they also still refuse certain wet foods. One of the favorites among cats here on TheCatSite seems to be Nutro Natural Choice Chunky Loaf Chicken.
My cats LOVE the soft loaf versions of the chicken and turkey. It is an excellent wet food. I feed Nutro Natural Choice soft pates, Fancy Feast Classic pates, and right now I left them have Fancy Feast grilled slices in gravy next to the pate. I am going to cut the grilled slices out once I run out of the current cans, though. I want them entirely on pate.

Arn

Kitten
Purraise
Here is the thing: you must endure the whining. I know it sounds awful and possibly detrimental your own health, but you cannot let Snowflake rule the pride so to speak. You rule the pride. First, get her on a schedule.

My first question is: Do you have her eating both wet and dry right now? I ask because under no circumstances do you want to make a sudden change to her diet. Once you have her on a schedule, you should begin to slowly introduce a new food. I cannot stress enough how important a schedule is.
Sorry for the late response we were away. I added dome of the new food with the blue so she would try it by accident, because as long as it was in a separate bowl neither of them would touvvh it. I have been giving them the wet food separate from the 2 dry foods. Moonlight was only eating the wet but now she's starting to eat the dry mix to and Snowflake is now eating the new dry but hasn't tolerated being put on a schedule. She sits at my door screaming.

Arn

Kitten
Purraise
I

Thought Dr. Easley had healthy ingredients but I also thought the same about Blue Buffalo.

Arn

Kitten
Purraise
I would definitely recommend wet food over dry if you will go for the commercial food diet and not preparing food on your own. But please if you can afford it, go with HUMAN graded, cat food ingredients in your wet food.

However, if you do want to prepare food on your own then you must be aware that preparing a nutritionally balanced diet is not as easy as it seems and especially for a cat that has ear infections like yours.

It will depend on a lot of factors like cats diet until now, cats age, breed, allergies, known illnesses and if a cat is prone to some diseases in future. Your veterinarian MUST do an exam and help you come up with a proper nutrition plan if you wish to feed your cat a home made diet. You can read more about it here How to Make Homemade Food for Your Cat - FelineLiving.net

Just please make sure you talk to a vet about your cat's condition before switching to homemade diet.. Many pet owners with their best intentions in mind, often do more harm than good by switching their pet to a homemade diet because it is not as simple as cooking a nice recipe. Sure, you can find many cat homemade diet recipes online and they will even tell you about the great nutritional benefits of them but what they can't tell you is the bloodwork of your cat and its nutritional needs considering its current state (age, weight, past illnesses, if it's prone to some disease, etc..)

Even the famous Dr. Karen Becker will tell you that homemade pet diet is a great thing but only if done right.
Listen to her here:
She really knows her stuff about pet nutrition. You can see her website too and read further about this.

But when it comes to transitioning your cat from one type of diet to another or from one cat food to another you must accept that there will be resistance by your cat and this can be due to many reasons and it is usually not something to be worried about. You just have to take it and endure it until the cat is transitioned. Remember persistence is the key. Do not give in to your cat's meowing, she is just reacting to the new nutrition way.

The best thing you can do is give your cat different attention than she is asking. If she is meowing because of your diet scheduling and diet changes simply play with her or pet her but don't give in to her diet requests as you know what is best.
Have you ever tried any of the recipes in this book?