Tips/tricks for convincing cats that regular dental care is a good thing?

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use PetzLife gel on my dogs' teeth, and I would like to use on my cats' teeth as well. Bastian I can sometimes convince to let me sort of smear it on his teeth, but Griffin - my sweet, laid-back, do anything you want to me cat - would rather take my finger right off than allow me to put it in his mouth. And Griffin has HORRIBLE breath. He's not quite 3 years old yet so his teeth don't have any severe decay, but judging by his breath I can't imagine it will be long before he develops dental problems.

Any ideas for how to convince him to cooperate with me on this?

nutrolori

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It would be so much easier if they cooperated. Chester has never been a fan of me brushing his teeth or even getting a quick look at his teeth. I have found less restraint is always better and maybe have a favorite treat standing by (if you don't already). I know it is best to withhold food for at least 30 minutes when using but if you can show them for awhile they get a reward then give the reward closer to the 30 minute mark as time goes buy. It could work, or not.

Chester Cheetah eats Greenies because he won't let me mess with his mouth, no matter what tricks I try. He is 11 1/2 years old and is hip to all of my tricks. I believe they have helped his teeth stay healthier and he definitely has fresher breath because I can actually stand to have him rub his face on mine in the mornings.

Anyway, I hope you find what tricks will work for you. Good luck!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NinaCaliente

He's not quite 3 years old yet so his teeth don't have any severe decay, but judging by his breath I can't imagine it will be long before he develops dental problems.
Cats can have dental issues before 3 years old, has he seen a vet? I would be concerned about the bad breath.

Can you get them to eat meat strips/chunks? Or chicken necks, both are very good for teeth. Most owners over here who don't feed full time raw offer stir fry strips or bones a few times a week at vets advice for teeth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He is due to go in for his yearly check up soon, but he has had this bad breath for a long time and the vet was aware of it. It hasn't changed since then, I'm just not sure how to fix it. Where do you find chicken necks?? I've only been able to find turkey necks. Would chicken wings from the grocery store work just as well?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure where you live but over here they are available at supermarkets and butchers. Chicken wings also work but necks are usually easier to start cats on.