Tips To Stop Litter Tracking?

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have wood floors, which are great aesthetic wise... but not so great for litter tracking. We currently have a little mat in front of both of our boxes, and we have also tried the low tracking litter (it still tracked and it was so difficult to clean from the box)... but nothing seems to be preventing at least a reasonable amount of litter from tracking all over our floors. Right now we vacuum at least once a day. I have a small apartment so it doesn't take too long, but it is annoying. Anyone have any tips, or do you know of any product that made a difference for you? Any advice would be appreciated!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I too have a rug in front of the litter box, which helps some but inevitably Feeby is always tracking litter on my faux-wood plank floors. I think some of it is caused by the fact that Feeby walks into the box, and just stands right there and pees - which I think sometimes causes her end up walking through damp litter to get out of the box. She also rarely covers her pee/poop, so it probably stays damper than it would otherwise. Could your cat(s) be doing something similar?

Do you have more than one cat? How often do you clean out the boxes? Scooping them out after every use might help some, as the litter will stay drier (and cleaner). A little moisture in the litter might be contributing to the tracking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two cats and two boxes. I can’t clean it after every use because I work, but I do clean them both out every night. The tracking is just really bad.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Fresh Step, which tracks a lot, so I tried Clean Paws this week. I don't have to worry about the floors as the major pans are in the basement, but Clean Paws does seem to reduce the tracking a lot. It's worth a try.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Would you be interested in trying a different litterbox? I have two. One of them has the usual mats in front of it and we see some litter there that we just pick up the mat and redeposit it back into the box every so often. My second box I've linked below. No mat and there is never any litter around it.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve never been able to successfully deal with it. I have wood floors as well. I sweep the floor twice a day. :dunno:

Maybe look into pellet type litter.

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here's what I did to stop my litter tracking!! Worked like a charm and stopped the tracking entirely. A baby gate on a desk, litter box underneath. The litter box opening faces the wall. They have to walk around the path inside kicking litter off onto the carpet the whole time to get inside the box. Aside from a week where the gate had to be moved to pen a kitten into a bedroom, my family hasn't stepped on cat litter in years. At that time we even complained about little grey rocks somehow getting into the house and under foot because we didn't know what cat litter felt like anymore. We had forgotten.
obzfnp1qo5r01.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here's what I did to stop my litter tracking!! Worked like a charm and stopped the tracking entirely. A baby gate on a desk, litter box underneath. The litter box opening faces the wall. They have to walk around the path inside kicking litter off onto the carpet the whole time to get inside the box. Aside from a week where the gate had to be moved to pen a kitten into a bedroom, my family hasn't stepped on cat litter in years. At that time we even complained about little grey rocks somehow getting into the house and under foot because we didn't know what cat litter felt like anymore. We had forgotten.
View attachment 254294
That might be a good idea for kittens/younger cats! But, you'd better start working on "plan B" if in their senior years they get arthritis. As a devout litter box user as Feeby is/always has been, I am not sure now at 14+ with arthritis that she wouldn't just say 'screw it' and go near the box - lol!