Tips to put weight on a nursing mama?

Jackie&Louise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Only one week ago a stray pregnant kitty came running up to me. I took her home and she was really in good shape other than being underweight. No fleas, no ticks, pink gums, good appetite/energy, super loving, seemingly normal urination and stool.
Unfortunately I ended up only having about 6 days to try to fatten her up before the kittens came. I fed her as much canned kitten food as she would eat. She had her 4 beautiful babies last night. And now I'm concerned about the poor little girl wasting away breastfeeding. Is it possible to put weight on a nursing cat? What are the best things for that?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, so sweet looking! Thank you for taking her in. :heartshape:

Continue with as much wet kitten food as she wants. Also dry kitten chow available 24/7 along with water.

Buy a can of powdered kitten formula - PetAg or Royal Canin are good. Give her a dish or two a day. She needs the extra calcium now.

Boiled chicken with salt only. Scrambled egg, full fat plain yogurt, cheese, chopped hamburger or steak. No spices or onions. Any of these will give her extra calories and protein. You’ll need to try different items and see what she likes.

Keep us posted! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jackie&Louise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I'm heading to the store asap for these items.