Tips to keep kitten with URI comfortable until appointment.

aangone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I have rescued a feral kitten probably around 5 weeks today. We did follow protocol when it came to taking stray cats. We left it alone for a whole day and even left the area in hopes the mother would come back for her. Unfortunately after a day she didn't and we decided to take the kitten and get her healthy before deciding to keep her or find her a good home.

We however do not have an appointment until tomorrow as all the vets around me are closed, and though I can't hear her breath she seems to be breathing very heavy and fast. What are some things I can do to keep her comfortable through the night and to not make it worse?

If she does get worse of course I'll bring her to an emergency vet 40 minutes away as fast as I can, but if I can hold off until her appointment tomorrow and save the money and gas it would be ideal.

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Is she open mouth breathing or her mouth is closed? Open mouth is an emergency like right now.Do you have any catnip in the house you could sprinkle in her area? I  work with ferals & how feral is she?.Still blue eyes or have they changed?Sometimes putting them in a med. crate with a box at the back used for kitty litter & bowls in the front calms them.Also a sheet over the sides but keep the face open.Even running water from your tap if you don't pay for water can soothe them.Dim lighting.Usually they will be calling their mom,but not always.Is the little one eating? Royal canin baby cat from like petsmart I use for all feral kittens.Very palatable,soft & seems to intrigue them.But if open mouth breathing, this is a whole other thing and you need to take her in asap.Everybody needs to stay calm & the environment has to be calming to them.HTH C.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aangone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No she is not open mouth breathing which is why I'm trying to hold off the hospital. Her eyes are changed but still seems a little bit blue around the edges, but she's been eating okay. Not as much as I would think she should, but at least she's eating. I will try a few of those ideas though, thanks!