Tips on making kitten sleep throughout the night...

jamiem104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I'm new to this site. I've read a few other threads but every situation is unique.
I just got an 8 week old Siamese mix. She's a ball of energy...She loves sleeping with me but wakes often.
She climbs up and down my couch at night waking me up. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment, I sleep in the living room and my 10 year old sleeps in her room. The kitchen is right by me and I've tried shutting her in the bathroom with everything she needs, but she cries so loudly it wakes my daughter up.
I've tried playing with her and giving her a meal before bed but she still doesn't fall asleep at bedtime. Will She eventually stop crying if leave her in the bathroom? My apartment complex has thin walls and I don't want to anger my neighbors.

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A kitten is not going to sleep through the night. Cats do not have the same sleeping patterns as humans, and while kittens sleep overall more than adult cats, they are more rambunctious when they are awake and in my personal experience go from asleep to awake more quickly. Does "everything she needs" include stimulation? Toys, scratching post, and something to climb around on? Not just food and litterbox and a bed? There may be some chance that she'll stop crying in the night if she just gets used to it and has the means to entertain herself when she's awake. A cat becoming diurnal - awake in the day and sleeping all night - is not going to happen. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jamiem104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Of course she has stimulation as well. This is the first kitten I've had. I've always had adult cats, so I never had to deal with them waking me up because they never did.

jamiem104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for answering! :)

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If her issue is loneliness rather than boredom there might not be much to do other than wait it out for her to get a bit older when she'll probably calm down and still want companionship in the night but maybe will just sleep on you instead of jumping all over your face. (This varies cat to cat, of course.)

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Although honestly, I don't know if I've ever seen a one-bedroom apartment with a bathroom large enough that it wasn't pretty darn small for a cat to spend 1/3 of their time in. Cats wake and sleep with little regard for day and night, although usually being active in the morning and evening. Perhaps a lot of play equipment would make a very stimulating environment, but think of putting a toddler in a room for 4 hours of being awake with no one to interact with.

jamiem104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, that's why when I tried it it, it was only for 5 minutes, then I felt bad hahaha. The bathroom is rather spacious though. It's a larger luxury apartment. But I really don't think I like that idea of keeping her there. Only had get for 2 nights though so I guess I'll just wait and see. I'm not exactly giving her attention or doing anything when she makes noise or climbs and claws on the couch haha.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
She is so cute! 

You can see the mischief in her eyes!

I think you just have to wait this out. Eventually she will grow out of this. Does she have a small toy that she can cuddle with? Or even a small ticking clock wrapped in a towel and placed in a bed. Sometimes that calms them down. The ticking kind of reminds them on their mom...

She is after you because she is lonely and wants company. If she did not love you, she would leave you alone. 

She is sweet...

jamiem104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haha yes she is very mischievous but very sweet also. She loves sleeping on my tummy haha. Thank you. :)

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She will indeed grow out of being so rambunctious in the night. While she'll always alternate sleeping/waking on her own schedule throughout the night, when she calms down she'll most of the time just join you for bed when she wants to sleep and get up and do her thing when she wants to be awake. Generally speaking - every cat has their own personality.

Last edited: