Tips on making a catio?

mozzarellastick

Mom to Mozzie and Catrick
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm looking into turning my apartment balcony into a catio, especially since I'm planning on bringing home cat #2 this weekend and maximizing space/giving them both extra stimulation wouldn't be a bad thing! My roommate and I don't really use it so it might as well be a cat space. It's a standard 4x10ish wood-floored balcony, with about a four foot high metal railing that would definitely accommodate a kitty suicide attempt :( I want to get a protective mesh to cover the railing but still allow them to see out (there's a lovely little wooded area out back), but would them jumping up be an issue? I'm also planning to get a woven outdoor carpet to put down, some fake vines to cover one wall to decorate and give them something to bat at, another litter box, scratchers, and a couple of camp chairs to allow both me and the cats to hang out. I already have a birdfeeder hanging from the edge of the roof that my cat has really enjoyed watching through the balcony doors. Would she get too enthusiastic and try to hunt them and end up falling to her fluffy death? Even if she were out there, it's quite a ways up, but she could make a stupid decision, idk. Obviously the catio would be a supervision-only zone, but I want to cover all my bases (with minimal expense). Mozzie did not take to leash training but she's always interested by what's outside, so I think this could be enriching.

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I see a lot of catios in NYC. Never asked anyone specific why but probably 90% are done with bird netting. I guess it does double duty, keeps cats in and birds out. Some have frame from different materials wood pvc metal but mostly bird netting is attached floor to the balcony above .

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ive covered the sides and top of mine with pea netting, similar to bird netting. Keeps the cats safe but doesnt spoil their view.

16504835299991044065766417808015.jpg

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its wrapped around the outside of the balcony, I put two upright posts and a cross bar to give it height and draped the net over the top.

16504840075833015532494541425426.jpg

Its getting a bit dark here in the UK so photo not as clear as it could be.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Check with the landlord first before you start installing catio stuff. Landlords can fine tenants (maybe even evict?) for having unauthorized things on balconies. Your lease may have rules on balcony use.

A pop up catio / tent on the balcony that you can set up and take down in minutes might be an alternative.

FetchingCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bird netting tore quickly once the big cat started sitting on it like a hammock. My husband switched to chicken wire. He stapled it on. Be sure to cover the railing part, too.