Tips on getting my cat more tolerant to nail trimming?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is excellent advice. We do this with Magnus. I also tell him how many more to go. "Okay all feets. This feet. All done this feet, next feet." Then when he gets really kick-y I say how many toes left and then we are left with, "okay just one more."

Why feets is just to keep words consistent because Magnus has AAC buttons. It's not grammatically accurate but we didn't want to have him running off whenever someone mentioned a foot when we used to have to soak his feet daily.
Willy is very responsive to verbal cues so I will definitely try adding such practices to the process (and be 100% consistent with it).

I already know what verbal cues make him feel more relaxed, and often make him start purring.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The human clipper may be the issue long term. I used to use one with Nobel and I did note that it requires more pressure and can cause more splitting as they age.
This is the other kind I own. I used it exclusively at first but had much more luck with the human clipper, so I started working with that entirely. I can give the cat kind another try.

Attachments

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I already know what verbal cues make him feel more relaxed, and often make him start purring.
To add to the above... this is totally unoriginal, but "good boy" is what does it.

But it is in a specific tone that I discovered gets a reaction. I say it a few times in a certain tone, and he almost always starts purring. It didn't occur to me to try talking to him during this process.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We tried ones that came in this set. I found them very sharp and I'm able to be swift.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07SDMWFRL/?tag=
Thanks for the recommendation. Maybe I just have to learn to be fast. My approach thus far has been letting him determine the pace, but that may be counterproductive.

Since he lets me do one before he starts fighting with the next one, maybe he would let me do a few if I could get them done fast.

Also, whenever I take him to the vet, I request a nail trim. Every vet, or vet tech, plows through them with absolutely no problem within seconds, and he tolerates it without struggling.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, whenever I take him to the vet, I request a nail trim. Every vet, or vet tech, plows through them with absolutely no problem within seconds, and he tolerates it without struggling.
Strangers are much scarier than you and the vet's office is scary. You're his person so he knows he can express his feelings.

If it's affordable and accessible to you, there isn't any issue having a neighbour or groomer come by and do it. There's many door to door services..I used to help a few elderly neighbours for free.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Strangers are much scarier than you and the vet's office is scary. You're his person so he knows he can express his feelings.
I haven't thought of it this way before. I assumed that strangers would make him fight more. But now that I am thinking about it, I realize why it could be easier for a stranger (scarier) person to do it.

Especially because he is generally a passive cat. He has never been aggressive towards a single human in his life, even brand new humans he's met for the first time.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I started paying a local company to come to my house to do it. Best $30 spent. I put him in a carrier about 10 min before the vet tech gets here. She clips them and then she’s on her way.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't thought of it this way before. I assumed that strangers would make him fight more.
Fight, flight, freeze and fawn are all valid fear responses. Its really common for owners to do d that the vets and techs can do more. Part of it is fear response and part of it is experience.

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise
I give my cat her favorite snack after nail trimming or brushing. She hates both activities, but she tolerates them if she sees an unopened snack right in front of her.

I'd avoid going to a vet or a pet shop for nail trimming. You never know if some cat with panleikopenia was nail-trimmed before yours. And you can never just trust everyone to disinfect properly.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I give my cat her favorite snack after nail trimming or brushing. She hates both activities, but she tolerates them if she sees an unopened snack right in front of her.

I'd avoid going to a vet or a pet shop for nail trimming. You never know if some cat with panleikopenia was nail-trimmed before yours. And you can never just trust everyone to disinfect properly.
I tell people to screen their vets or groomers/anyone who will handle your animal. They should be able to answer your questions, but if you're not comfortable you can always go somewhere else.
Keeping the unopened snack as a promise in plain view is a very good idea!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Gypsy loves to be brushed and massaged including her toesies. I massage her into what I call a "melted butter" state and use human baby nail clippers held sideways to prevent splitting. I don't like using pet clippers. I tell her what I'm doing and if she pulls her foot away I go back to massaging, usually I can get at least one foot at a time done but I don't force the issue, one nail at a time if need be but we can usually do a whole foot. I keep the Sheba meat sticks out of sight til we're done or she doesn't relax. Do you think nail caps might work? I don't really know much about them just have read that some folks have good luck with them. :hangin: :goodluck::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::catrub: Keep us updated.