Tips on discouraging unwanted behaviors?

Cyantaiga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This may be a long one, so bear with me.
Background: our cat, Milliard "Millie" Peacecraft, is a 14yo neutered male domestic shorthair tuxedo cat that we've had and kept strictly indoors since he was about a year old. A few years back, he developed sediment buildup in his bladder, which necessitated a switch to a prescription food and denying him bits of cat-safe people food. He's been healthy since then, and a recent checkup (with extra blood work due to his age) confirmed that he's doing very well. As none of the behaviors listed below are new, I'm not concerned about them being signs of health problems - rather, I think most of them are to do with self-stimulation and/or attention-seeking, but my partner and I have run out of ideas for how to discourage/redirect these behaviors into ones less bothersome and potentially harmful.

1) bathtub licking. Doesn't matter if the tub's wet or dry, he'll jump in and just start licking the bottom of the tub. Since we keep his collar and tags on him (as a precaution in case he escapes outside), there's a very distinct clinking sound when he does this, at which point we generally chase him out and shut him out of the room we're in for a short while. It seems that he knows the consequences of this behavior, as he will often jump out just from one of us saying his name in a stern tone or hearing one of us get up from where we're sitting, and if it's the latter, he will often show himself out of the room. To note, the tub is fiberglass, and we do our best to keep it clean, but we still worry that he's going to ingest something harmful. We don't like keeping the bathroom door closed because the ventilation isn't great and it gets stuffy and starts smelling weird. We've been hoping that two water bowls (one a filtered fountain, the other a gravity bottle, both separate from his food) and denying him socialization would discourage this, but so far it's done jack-all.

2) chewing on everything. Again, not a new behavior, so we're not concerned about it being a dental issue. He has a tendency to go for cardboard, loose papers, and plastic (especially shrink-wrap plastic - the more the crunch, the more it fascinates him). Apart from small pieces of rubberbands (which we have long since learned to keep well out of his reach), he doesn't ingest any of it, as far as we can tell, but again, it could still potentially harm him at some point (and...it's just really annoying). He has a bunch of toy mice, several cat dancers, an automatic "red bug" toy, and a cat tree, but he still prefers going after plastic and cardboard. Even when we pay attention to him and try to play with or cuddle him, he still prefers going after plastic and cardboard. As far as we can tell, he just likes doing it, even though it usually causes us to chase him off and put whatever he was getting at out of his reach. To a lesser (and less obsessive) extent, he'll also try to chew on earbud headphones and their wires; he also goes after string and used q-tips with earwax on them, so those are all probably related (but still, we did lose several pairs of earbuds to this behavior when we first got him...).

3) pawing at anything on a surface. I know this is a common grievance from cat owners, but it's usually a sign of under-stimulation, and like I mentioned, he has plenty of toys to play with, and as with the chewing, he'll opt to do this even when we are trying to socialize with him. He also likes going after things that make noise, either when he pushes them or when they fall - most often this ends up being pill bottles, but he's also fond of batting at the TV remote (which has a rounded back, so it rocks with every kitty tap). Luckily, we tend to only have bottled drinks around (as my partner and I are both somewhat clumsy, and Millie also has a tendency to stick his head in any open cup, regardless of what is or isn't in it), so it's rare for him to knock over, say, a glass of water, but that doesn't mean he doesn't try to go after our bottles anyway.

4) constant vocalizations. I'm honestly more just curious as to why, since we first adopted him, he is almost always vocalizing. I find it difficult to categorize them as "meows," as they're closer in volume and "shape" to yowls, but without any obvious distress, plus he makes more noises we tend to call "chirps," "squeaks," and even "quacks." Alongside all this noise he actively makes, he's also constantly purring, to the point that every vet that tries to listen to his heart beat has to come up with a different technique to get him to stop for long enough that they can hear what they need. He's just...a very, very noisy cat, and we've never really figured out why. Our best guess is that he has some Siamese in him, as the shape of his snout and ears are similar, and that breed does tend to be rather talkative, but any other theories are welcome.

Like I mentioned at the beginning, any insight and/or advice to help understand/curb these behaviors would be much appreciated!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Minus the bathtub licking, those are all Magnus behaviours as well and the vet suspects some sort of Asian cat lineage. Also let us know the vet tricks! They keep Magnus for half a day and last time had to hold him and try to spook him into not purring! (Didn't work)

What's helped but solved nothing fully:
Cat calming music (also Faouzia but I think this is Magnus specific)
AAC buttons (like Bunny and Stella the dogs)
Feliway
Chew safe items like cardboard cat structures and tissue or craft paper (since he likes crinkle, a dog toy might be suitable)
Silvervine sticks and catnip
Bird feeder outside the window (though, as warning he spams "Hungry. Birds." nonstop)

Ignoring doesn't work. Locking him out of somewhere doesn't work and if he wants something you won't give he will jump all over everything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cyantaiga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Minus the bathtub licking, those are all Magnus behaviours as well and the vet suspects some sort of Asian cat lineage. Also let us know the vet tricks! They keep Magnus for half a day and last time had to hold him and try to spook him into not purring! (Didn't work)

What's helped but solved nothing fully:
Cat calming music (also Faouzia but I think this is Magnus specific)
AAC buttons (like Bunny and Stella the dogs)
Feliway
Chew safe items like cardboard cat structures and tissue or craft paper (since he likes crinkle, a dog toy might be suitable)
Silvervine sticks and catnip
Bird feeder outside the window (though, as warning he spams "Hungry. Birds." nonstop)

Ignoring doesn't work. Locking him out of somewhere doesn't work and if he wants something you won't give he will jump all over everything.
One vet flicked water at his face to get him to stop for a second, another just tried to make him uncomfortable by pressing at his tummy. At this point, I think they just listen for a bit longer than usual to try and get a sense of the heartbeat underneath the rumble.

We've been considering getting AAC buttons, actually, though we can figure out most of what he wants because mostly what he wants is attention. He actually lost weight this year because my partner and I have been staying on the second floor and his food is on the first, and he refused to leave us to go eat (we've since moved his food upstairs and he seems to be getting back to a healthy weight) - as we explained to the vet, he's FAR more socially-motivated than food-motivated.
We've tried giving him designated cardboard to chew on, but I don't know if he understands that the cardboard box we put out for him is different than the soda carton on the table. We've also tried those cardboard kitty house things? But mostly he just likes finding out how to knock it down, and then gets bored and yowly because it's flat and no longer fun. (Pretty much anything that he can get into from the side, he will also figure out how to flatten it so he can sit on it, and then doesn't understand why he can't get back into it.) Generally speaking, we've been trying to avoid letting him get at things that resemble things he shouldn't get at, because he doesn't seem to understand the difference and may view our reactions as wildly inconsistent. We've also been wary of trying things like catnip and silvervine because a) he's been ambivalent about such things in the past, and b) because of his bladder issues, we're avoiding anything he could ingest in case it makes things worse for him.
We do have a bird feeder that we put out sometimes, but our area has a bear problem, so feeders are discouraged when the bears aren't hibernating, and when they are, well, most birds have flown south, and the weather makes feeders feed more bacteria than birds. Plus the feeder is only visible on the first floor, giving us the same problem as the food issue. He does, however, have a window perch where we normally hang out, which looks right into the boughs of a tree, so he does get his bird-watching fix that way when they're active, but again, as it's winter here, there's not a whole lot for him to watch.
I should look more into calming cat music, though. He does seem to get more problematic when he's anxious, and he's not the biggest fan of his Thundershirt, so maybe that'll help curb some of it...

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This may be a long one, so bear with me.
Background: our cat, Milliard "Millie" Peacecraft, is a 14yo neutered male domestic shorthair tuxedo cat that we've had and kept strictly indoors since he was about a year old. A few years back, he developed sediment buildup in his bladder, which necessitated a switch to a prescription food and denying him bits of cat-safe people food. He's been healthy since then, and a recent checkup (with extra blood work due to his age) confirmed that he's doing very well. As none of the behaviors listed below are new, I'm not concerned about them being signs of health problems - rather, I think most of them are to do with self-stimulation and/or attention-seeking, but my partner and I have run out of ideas for how to discourage/redirect these behaviors into ones less bothersome and potentially harmful.

1) bathtub licking. Doesn't matter if the tub's wet or dry, he'll jump in and just start licking the bottom of the tub. Since we keep his collar and tags on him (as a precaution in case he escapes outside), there's a very distinct clinking sound when he does this, at which point we generally chase him out and shut him out of the room we're in for a short while. It seems that he knows the consequences of this behavior, as he will often jump out just from one of us saying his name in a stern tone or hearing one of us get up from where we're sitting, and if it's the latter, he will often show himself out of the room. To note, the tub is fiberglass, and we do our best to keep it clean, but we still worry that he's going to ingest something harmful. We don't like keeping the bathroom door closed because the ventilation isn't great and it gets stuffy and starts smelling weird. We've been hoping that two water bowls (one a filtered fountain, the other a gravity bottle, both separate from his food) and denying him socialization would discourage this, but so far it's done jack-all.

2) chewing on everything. Again, not a new behavior, so we're not concerned about it being a dental issue. He has a tendency to go for cardboard, loose papers, and plastic (especially shrink-wrap plastic - the more the crunch, the more it fascinates him). Apart from small pieces of rubberbands (which we have long since learned to keep well out of his reach), he doesn't ingest any of it, as far as we can tell, but again, it could still potentially harm him at some point (and...it's just really annoying). He has a bunch of toy mice, several cat dancers, an automatic "red bug" toy, and a cat tree, but he still prefers going after plastic and cardboard. Even when we pay attention to him and try to play with or cuddle him, he still prefers going after plastic and cardboard. As far as we can tell, he just likes doing it, even though it usually causes us to chase him off and put whatever he was getting at out of his reach. To a lesser (and less obsessive) extent, he'll also try to chew on earbud headphones and their wires; he also goes after string and used q-tips with earwax on them, so those are all probably related (but still, we did lose several pairs of earbuds to this behavior when we first got him...).

3) pawing at anything on a surface. I know this is a common grievance from cat owners, but it's usually a sign of under-stimulation, and like I mentioned, he has plenty of toys to play with, and as with the chewing, he'll opt to do this even when we are trying to socialize with him. He also likes going after things that make noise, either when he pushes them or when they fall - most often this ends up being pill bottles, but he's also fond of batting at the TV remote (which has a rounded back, so it rocks with every kitty tap). Luckily, we tend to only have bottled drinks around (as my partner and I are both somewhat clumsy, and Millie also has a tendency to stick his head in any open cup, regardless of what is or isn't in it), so it's rare for him to knock over, say, a glass of water, but that doesn't mean he doesn't try to go after our bottles anyway.

4) constant vocalizations. I'm honestly more just curious as to why, since we first adopted him, he is almost always vocalizing. I find it difficult to categorize them as "meows," as they're closer in volume and "shape" to yowls, but without any obvious distress, plus he makes more noises we tend to call "chirps," "squeaks," and even "quacks." Alongside all this noise he actively makes, he's also constantly purring, to the point that every vet that tries to listen to his heart beat has to come up with a different technique to get him to stop for long enough that they can hear what they need. He's just...a very, very noisy cat, and we've never really figured out why. Our best guess is that he has some Siamese in him, as the shape of his snout and ears are similar, and that breed does tend to be rather talkative, but any other theories are welcome.

Like I mentioned at the beginning, any insight and/or advice to help understand/curb these behaviors would be much appreciated!
I too have a vocal neutered Alpha Male whom enjoys chewing on plastic. My best effort is to stop this habit is too remove said objects from his sight.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
calming cat music
There's RelaxMyCat, MusicForCats, and spotify and other sources have harp music for cats. There's cat music that has purrs in it as well :)

About the bathtub licking, could you put a couple of bathmats down when you're through (or something like this, large and heavy enough so he can't lift it but easy for you-all to remove and place back down), so that either he doesn't find it as interesting as the tub surface or if he does, that he's less at risk for ingesting any leftover soap residue?

We've been hoping that two water bowls
I don't know whether he needs more hydration or not, but as an fyi, you might take a look at this link and the blurb about water bowls;
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles
This is from todaysveterinarynurse .com ;
"Making sure all water bowls are cleaned daily may encourage water consumption. Circulating water fountains can be provided for cats that like to drink running or dripping water, and multiple water bowls should be offered throughout the home. Also, the size and depth of water bowls may need to be considered, and different types of water (e.g., distilled, warm, cold) may need to be tried."

Definitely don't deny him socialization. I'm thinking, and his temporary weight loss bears this out, that he's one of those cats for whom contact with his people is at least as important, maybe more so, than actual food. I'm glad to hear he's gaining weight back but to be certain, you'll want to begin a log of his weight at home. This can be invaluable down the road. Use your bathroom scale, weigh yourself, note that, then weigh again while holding him, the difference is his weight. If you do this every week until he's back to where he should be, then you can do this every couple-three weeks.

constant vocalizations.
He's a chatty cat, which is one of the most darling, charming things a cat can do. Many members have conversations with their chatty cats, and sometimes, maybe at least half the time, find these conversations more entertaining, certainly endearing and possibly even more enlightening that those with humans.

Other than the pica-ish chewing, see if you can begin to enjoy his eccentricities. Cats are incredibly sensitive to our emotions. Positivity and lots of love is better :)

but it's usually a sign of under-stimulation, and like I mentioned, he has plenty of toys to play with, and as with the chewing, he'll opt to do this even when we are trying to socialize with him.
So, have you tried clicker training with him? Do you live in an area where you can train him to a harness and leash, and take him for walks (a link to a how-to article for leash training is in the article linked below)? I realize pica (--if that's what the chewing is about) isn't just boredom, but he's obviously an extremely smart cat and I personally think, as you seem to be aware of, that he needs more mental stimulation.

Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:

Cyantaiga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I too have a vocal neutered Alpha Male whom enjoys chewing on plastic. My best effort is to stop this habit is too remove said objects from his sight.
I mean, yeah, that's what we do, too, but I'm trying to find ways to discourage him from engaging in this behavior in the first place by seeing if we can figure out what, exactly, he's trying to get out of it.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mean, yeah, that's what we do, too, but I'm trying to find ways to discourage him from engaging in this behavior in the first place by seeing if we can figure out what, exactly, he's trying to get out of it.
My older boy (Miles) could care less about any form of plastic. I try to provide other distractions like my Squirrel Feeder on my deck that sits directly across from the Cat Stand.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry I don't have better insight for you. We've been thinking of a thunderjacket as well. Let me know how it goes!

Cyantaiga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About the bathtub licking, could you put a couple of bathmats down when you're through (or something like this, large and heavy enough so he can't lift it but easy for you-all to remove and place back down), so that either he doesn't find it as interesting as the tub surface or if he does, that he's less at risk for ingesting any leftover soap residue?
That's something to consider, yeah. I mean, he does also just randomly lick the outside of the tub, too, but yeah, if we can get him away from licking the inside, that'll at least be progress...

"Making sure all water bowls are cleaned daily may encourage water consumption. Circulating water fountains can be provided for cats that like to drink running or dripping water, and multiple water bowls should be offered throughout the home. Also, the size and depth of water bowls may need to be considered, and different types of water (e.g., distilled, warm, cold) may need to be tried."
He drinks out of his water bowls plenty, and like I said, he licks the tub even when it's bone dry. I do try to keep his water bowls clean, but a) my partner and I have disabilities that make daily cleaning very difficult, and b) the gremlin keeps trying to drink pee out of the toilet. He doesn't exactly have a "refined palate," as it were, so I don't think he's being picky. I think he's just being weird.

Definitely don't deny him socialization. I'm thinking, and his temporary weight loss bears this out, that he's one of those cats for whom contact with his people is at least as important, maybe more so, than actual food.
Yeah, he's absolutely socially motivated - even more so since he had to be switched from his Purina One food (which he LOVED) to his prescription food (which he'll eat, but he won't scarf it down, but at least he can free feed now). We're both home most days, and we do give him plenty of attention, which is why we were hoping that shutting him out for a short while would discourage the behaviors preceding the "time out." Unfortunately, we also need to shut him out when we need him to not jump on us and yowl in our faces, like when we're trying to sleep.

He's a chatty cat, which is one of the most darling, charming things a cat can do. Many members have conversations with their chatty cats, and sometimes, maybe at least half the time, find these conversations more entertaining, endearing and enlightening that those with humans.

Other than the pica-ish chewing, see if you can begin to enjoy his eccentricities. Cats are incredibly sensitive to our emotions.
Oh, we absolutely have full conversations with him - he has an incredible vocal range, and can definitely understand a lot of what we say to him (and I'm halfway convinced he can read what we put up on our whiteboard calendar...). I'm not really trying to discourage his chattiness, more just looking for more ways to understand what he wants, if anything. (To this end, I've looked into the FluentPet system, which is now on our list of "splurge buys.")

So, have you tried clicker training with him? Do you live in an area where you can train him to a harness and leash, and take him for walks? I realize pica isn't just boredom, but he's obviously an extremely smart cat and I personally think, as you seem to be aware of, that he needs mental stimulation.
I have tried a few times to get him acclimated to different harnesses, but he absolutely hates them. Even if he does get used to wearing it, the moment a leash gets attached, his first reaction is to find the nearest crawlspace, and any attempt at extracting him will result in him extracting himself from the harness. On top of that, every other time he's managed to get outside, he's gotten fleas and then worms (including a time when he only went as far as the porch for less than 10 seconds), and even if that wasn't a concern, his penchant for eating anything and everything is far from ideal when we're trying to keep his system clean so he doesn't pee blood again. So I've given up trying on that front, but I have been eyeing some kitty backpacks and strollers that may allow him some novel stimulation while still keeping him safe - I just haven't yet been able to justify the expense when we're unsure if he'll even take kindly to it.

And yeah, he's a very smart cat, which is why it baffles us that he can't seem to accept the alternatives we offer him when he's doing something we don't want him to do!

Cyantaiga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry I don't have better insight for you. We've been thinking of a thunderjacket as well. Let me know how it goes!
I can't ever tell if the Thundershirt works, or if he just feels like he can't move with it on him... We've only used it a few times, usually when we're moving or there's a lot of construction/storm noise from outside, but it does at least keep him relatively still instead of anxiously rocketing around and attacking anything that moves...

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's something to consider, yeah. I mean, he does also just randomly lick the outside of the tub, too, but yeah, if we can get him away from licking the inside, that'll at least be progress...

He drinks out of his water bowls plenty, and like I said, he licks the tub even when it's bone dry. I do try to keep his water bowls clean, but a) my partner and I have disabilities that make daily cleaning very difficult, and b) the gremlin keeps trying to drink pee out of the toilet. He doesn't exactly have a "refined palate," as it were, so I don't think he's being picky. I think he's just being weird.

Yeah, he's absolutely socially motivated - even more so since he had to be switched from his Purina One food (which he LOVED) to his prescription food (which he'll eat, but he won't scarf it down, but at least he can free feed now). We're both home most days, and we do give him plenty of attention, which is why we were hoping that shutting him out for a short while would discourage the behaviors preceding the "time out." Unfortunately, we also need to shut him out when we need him to not jump on us and yowl in our faces, like when we're trying to sleep.

Oh, we absolutely have full conversations with him - he has an incredible vocal range, and can definitely understand a lot of what we say to him (and I'm halfway convinced he can read what we put up on our whiteboard calendar...). I'm not really trying to discourage his chattiness, more just looking for more ways to understand what he wants, if anything. (To this end, I've looked into the FluentPet system, which is now on our list of "splurge buys.")

I have tried a few times to get him acclimated to different harnesses, but he absolutely hates them. Even if he does get used to wearing it, the moment a leash gets attached, his first reaction is to find the nearest crawlspace, and any attempt at extracting him will result in him extracting himself from the harness. On top of that, every other time he's managed to get outside, he's gotten fleas and then worms (including a time when he only went as far as the porch for less than 10 seconds), and even if that wasn't a concern, his penchant for eating anything and everything is far from ideal when we're trying to keep his system clean so he doesn't pee blood again. So I've given up trying on that front, but I have been eyeing some kitty backpacks and strollers that may allow him some novel stimulation while still keeping him safe - I just haven't yet been able to justify the expense when we're unsure if he'll even take kindly to it.

And yeah, he's a very smart cat, which is why it baffles us that he can't seem to accept the alternatives we offer him when he's doing something we don't want him to do!
I see that you provide water bowls. Have you considered using a Pet Fountain instead?. I use a Catio brand that runs 24/7. I replace the filter about twice a month. I check the filter every other day to ensure that food particles don't gum up the filter. I add water when I hear a sound change of the pump running.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
my partner and I have disabilities that make daily cleaning very difficult,
My Poppycat began to like drinking out of a tall water glass, which might be easier as an additional source.

You said his bloodtests came back great, but trying to drink out of the toilet at specific times, and consistently trying to lick the tub makes me wonder if he's actually missing some nutrient.

I'm wondering, could you ask the vet if you could reintroduce the Purina One, maybe once or twice a week?

we absolutely have full conversations with him - he has an incredible vocal range, and can definitely understand a lot of what we say to him (and I'm halfway convinced he can read what we put up on our whiteboard calendar...).
LOL Oh, I wish I could hear him and you-all :heartshape:

Cyantaiga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I see that you provide water bowls. Have you considered using a Pet Fountain instead?. I use a Catio brand that runs 24/7. I replace the filter about twice a month. I check the filter every other day to ensure that food particles don't gum up the filter. I add water when I hear a sound change of the pump running.
Yup - his main water bowl is a Catit fountain that runs constantly, and I do my best to change the filter every 30 days like it recommends, including cleaning all the parts and refilling it with fresh water. We got the second, a simple gravity bottle type, when we moved from a one-story apartment to a two-story condo, so he has the new one on the second floor. I monitor both to make sure he's always got a source of clean water, and neither are near his food bowl (largely because he's always had an unfortunate tendency to drop kibbles into his water, which made it unappealing for him to drink and for us to clean...). Despite having constant sources of fresh water, he'll go after any standing liquid if given half a chance, whether that's the leftover lactose-free skim milk at the bottom of a cereal bowl, hot bath water I'm sitting in, or the oily water in a pan soaking in the kitchen sink. I get that it's novel for him, but these things also tend to make him throw up, which is not fun for anyone.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't help but bring up dementia. It is not the same for all cats, but some do display compulsive behavior. It can exaggerate old compulsive habits, for example. Dementia is a very unexplored condition in cats (as well as humans, for that matter), and many vets/documents default to behaviors that don't necessarily apply to your cat. I would suggest you ask your vet about how you could pursue this aspect.

Cyantaiga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You said his bloodtests came back great, but trying to drink out of the toilet at specific times, and consistently trying to lick the tub makes me wonder if he's actually missing some nutrient.

I'm wondering, could you ask the vet if you could reintroduce the Purina One, maybe once or twice a week?
His prescription food is more nutritionally complete than most store brands, and ever since the sediment issue developed, a lot of things upset his tummy. We even have to specifically get the ocean fish flavor because the chicken flavor makes him throw up. I at one point tried giving him treats that were supposed to be safe for kitties with his condition, but those also caused an upset. I really do wish I could give him some variety, because before all of this, we had no problem giving him novel treats (especially because the things he happily went after were not things most cats even tolerate being near, let alone enjoy...), but since even things that are supposed to be safe for him don't go down well, it's discouraged us from trying much else.

Also the pee thing may be because my partner and I both had elective hysterectomies in the last six months, and my partner's had GI issues since then, prompting a significant dietary change for both of us, so it's possible that he's trying to investigate our pee simply because it smells different now. The "licking everything" behavior has been lifelong, so I think that's just how he is. (And honestly, we wouldn't be that bothered if it didn't pose a risk to him...)

Cyantaiga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't help but bring up dementia. It is not the same for all cats, but some do display compulsive behavior. It can exaggerate old compulsive habits, for example. Dementia is a very unexplored condition in cats (as well as humans, for that matter), and many vets/documents default to behaviors that don't necessarily apply to your cat. I would suggest you ask your vet about how you could pursue this aspect.
I suppose that's a possibility, though not a happy one. I'll look more into it, but since his behaviors are so far just somewhat annoying and still consistent with how he's always been, I probably won't bring it up to the vet unless it escalates or something new crops up. He may be 14, which is like, what, 80? in cat years? But you wouldn't believe it from how active and kitten-like he is. The only difference we've been able to notice in his age is that he sleeps somewhat more often than he used to.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe try a tall drinking glass, filled daily with filtered water, and see what he thinks :)

You sound like a wonderful family. Let us know how things progress with him ☺

Cyantaiga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe try a tall drinking glass, filled daily with filtered water, and see what he thinks :)

You sound like a wonderful family. Let us know how things progress with him ☺
I suppose I could get him his own special glass and test out what he might be preferring... (partner has a thing about germs, so I wouldn't want to use one of ours, and it needs to be distinct enough that he knows it's "his" glass and not that all glasses are fair game for him - give him an inch and he'll take a mile!)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I suppose I could get him his own special glass and test out what he might be preferring... (partner has a thing about germs, so I wouldn't want to use one of ours, and it needs to be distinct enough that he knows it's "his" glass and not that all glasses are fair game for him - give him an inch and he'll take a mile!)
Magnus uses a cup we got from the dollar store pretty exclusively.

With these smart cats, it's often not an issue of "can't" understand but "won't".

Bladder issues often have anxiety as a contributing factor, it could be worth asking the vet if he could have catnip or an anxiety medication to see if that helps. If the cat music doesn't for you.

I hope you give buttons a go though! It can take awhile for them to start using them, but it's been an interesting experience.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats will purr to soothe themselves when stressed or in pain. Sounds like that’s what your cat is doing at the vet’s. Better than clawing and biting!

Dry cat food, even dry prescription food, blocks water absorption in a cat’s digestive system. Wetting dry food won’t change that.

Cats cannot be punished. They do not connect the punishment to the act. All they know is, “Why are you being such a jerk! I thought I could trust you!”

What they do respond to is, “I get a bigger reward for clawing my scratching posts than that over stuffed couch.”

Free feeding is convenient for you, but you’re giving away a great tool of positive reinforcement and bond building. Cats respond much more positively to their humans when they’re on a feeding schedule. It’s more work, but it sends a clear message that you are the Keeper of the Tinned Mice and the Source of All Things Good.

You do have a strong bond with your kitty, but replacing free feeding with scheduled meals will strengthen that bond and is inline with a cat’s nature. Play with your cat at least once a day right before feeding for an even bigger bonus. It feeds into a cat’s natural rhythm of hunt, catch, kill, eat. Your cat will feel like they earned their meal and boost their confidence. This will increase the value of whatever rewards and alternatives that comes from you, Keeper of Tinned Mice, whether it’s petting, cuddling, lap time, treats, alternative items to chew, etc.