Tips On Cutting Nails

Alli_KittyLover

My Companion My Friend My Cat❤️
Kitten
Purraise
I've tried to cut my Cat's nails a few times, trying to distract with Treats but He does not want His Paws being touched. and I don't want to make Him uncomfortable.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried just clipping one claw at a time when he's very sleepy? You'll probably have to get him used to your handling his paws first by giving one paw at a time a short massage, followed by a treat, over several days or weeks. Once he accepts that, you can try clipping the tip of one claw, and then slowly work yourself up to two, etc..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alli_KittyLover

My Companion My Friend My Cat❤️
Kitten
Purraise
Alright I'll try that, Thank You So Much!:)

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do the kitty burrito to clip nails. You can find youtube videos on how to do it. I just lay out a big towel and spray it with some calming spray. Put my cat in the center and let her sniff and relax laying on the towel. Once she seems comfortable, I slowly wrap it over her. This lets me pull out 1 paw at a time to clip. I still don't do all of her paws at once because she doesn't like to stay still that long. She's fine in the burrito, actually purrs in it! But she's just over nail clipping in a short amount of time so I do what I can and then let her go as soon as she starts to act restless. Come back later and repeat until I get them all clipped.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could try the towel trick. I had a cat who hated being picked up but would get all sleepy and purr when wrapped up in a towel, so thats how I cut her nails.

Some places also sell cat bags with openings for their paws. Amazon.com : Carykon Adjustable Multifunctional Polyester Cat Washing Shower Mesh Bags Pet Nail Trimming Bags (Blue) : Pet Supplies

But not all cats like being in one. I get my cats used to it by feeding them treats while theyre in the bag.

I also had another cat who hated having her paws touched but didn't move if I cut her nails while she was sleeping.