Tips on comfortably getting my cat to sleep in my bedroom?

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have mostly kept Willy out of my bedroom at night, with the door closed, because he can get very annoying. He wakes up frequently, walks all over the bed, jumps on the dresser, etc.

I have already tried feeding him his nighttime meal as well as playing with him so he gets tired right before bed, but he still wakes me up frequently.

He is comfortable outside my bedroom at night, but he is aging and being able to sleep with him in his later years would just be nice.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, you are willing to put up with his nighttime antics now? If he is older now, he might not have as many, but be prepared for those he still does!!! This will be particularly true at the start because being in there at night will be new and different for him.

Maybe place some food or treats, along with a water dish, in your bedroom at night, obviously with the door open. If he has some blankets or towels, even bedding, that he likes, you could try placing one of those on your bed and see if that would entice him to use it. You might even place him in/on it when you go to bed. No guarantee he will stay initially, but perhaps over time.

Any toys that he likes to play with overnight? Take one or two of them and place them in your bedroom - while that might encourage nighttime play, it is still a way to get him to realize that your bedroom is no longer off limits at night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, you are willing to put up with his nighttime antics now? If he is older now, he might not have as many, but be prepared for those he still does!!! This will be particularly true at the start because being in there at night will be new and different for him.

Maybe place some food or treats, along with a water dish, in your bedroom at night, obviously with the door open. If he has some blankets or towels, even bedding, that he likes, you could try placing one of those on your bed and see if that would entice him to use it. You might even place him in/on it when you go to bed. No guarantee he will stay initially, but perhaps over time.

Any toys that he likes to play with overnight? Take one or two of them and place them in your bedroom - while that might encourage nighttime play, it is still a way to get him to realize that your bedroom is no longer off limits at night.
Yeah, I realize there would be an adjustment period, and there is some extent that I just have to put up with it if I want to achieve the result. Putting enrichment/food nearby is good advice though.

He does have two favorite cat beds that I could try putting on my bed. That's also good advice.

i have had issues with insomnia, so getting a good night's sleep is important to me. If I am woken up, I have trouble falling back asleep. My cat and I may be an incompatible couple in the bedroom, so to speak. 😂

But I haven't given it a more serious try recently, though. And he is older so it might be easier than last time I tried.

Last edited:

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I sure would give it a try, leaving your door open so that he can come and go. That way if he is restless he may choose to leave but come back when he wants to sleep and snuggle. Cats do settle down and sleep through more of the night as they age. If he is moving around too much set him on the floor, and you may need to repeat this a number of times before he starts to understand.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might try putting a cat bed on the floor beside the bed instead. It's easier for an older cat as they age.

At 17, Nobel still woke me in the early morning.

• Purraise
Reactions: D_H