Tips On Cat Enrichment?

sooser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What are some good DIYs for kitty enrichment in the home? I recently had to make the move into a much smaller basement suite, and my boys are having some trouble adjusting. I'm getting them new toys often and playing with them lots (several times a day), leaving birds and fish on the telly for them to watch, leaving lots of kitty nip and got some cat grass seeds. They've got lots of windows, boxes, destrapped bags. I make them hunt for their treats, etc.
In the plans are building an outdoor space with large dog crates. These boys cannot be outdoors unrestricted, there's too many predators in my area.
But I'm getting at my wits end a bit, cus we're getting more vet visits than I can afford thanks to stress related syndromes.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, you're doing a lot and if the boys can hang in there the outside will be theirs :) in the meantime, what kind of stress related syndromes? What are they doing that's sending you all to the vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sooser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom We're having issues with feline idiopathic cystitis. Have a thread on that one too. They're anxiety prone because they were abandoned before they were properly weaned, so I need more ways to distract them now that we're in a smaller space...lol

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you’re doing a great job already! Have you considered leash-and-harness training them to go for walks? That can be a great way to reduce boredom in cats by giving them a safe way to explore the outdoors and get some exercise.

Here’s an article that will give you more info about helping your cats relax in their new environment: Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sooser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom we're lucky that we have wide windowsills and a wide fireplace, both fairly high, for them to hang out on. They do have a cat tree, but they have to share it, and it's not very large. Considering getting or making more, or expanding on their current one.

abyeb abyeb I have! And would like to. I've had some success with Spook, the one most affected, but that's where I've fallen short and not gotten into much of a routine with him on. His brother Rogue is not interested in the least haha