Tips for preventing infection?

berbdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So yesterday night Kiki did someting to cut her paw. Only my dad noticed, but didnt mention it. This morning while my family was watching T.V. together, Kiki came in and she was slightly limping. My mom found that Kiki had managed to cut the skin at the edge of the largest pillow on one of the front paws. Its not big, and theres not really a point to bringing her to the vet (yet). I'll try post a picture later. Both my cats Kiki and Berbol have free roam outside and inside(we leave the door open on warm/sunny days). They know the area well and at this time of year, the neighbouring cats are pretty active. I guess she just got into a fight. Aanyway, I know that scince Kiki goes outside often, there is a high risk of infection. Kiki cleans the wound often and I think its gotten worse scince the morning because she was half-walking around all day and by now she is really holding her paw up higher. When she falls into a deep sleep, I'm gonna clean out the cut with a piece of gauze wet with some hydrogen peroxide (nothing dangerous, its a disinfectant). So apart from disinfecting it, what other remedies do you suggest to prevent infection?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't use hydrogen peroxide, but flush it as often as possible with pure saline solution (plain contact saline solution works great).  If she's limping, it's painful for her to put full weight on her foot, so I'd make an appt ASAP on Monday to get her seen.  You don't want it to abscess and pop open. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

berbdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just read a page saying how to make saline solution and it said not to use on open wounds and that it leaves the area quite dry. Also I'm considering the fact that Kiki will probably lick the cut straight after

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep her inside as much as possible and to be able to monitor her discomfort level.  You don't want her going into hiding outside and not be able to find her.

berbdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mhm, but what do you think about using saline solution on an open wound?

berbdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mom just began to soak some camomile in hot water. She says that it has anti-inflammatory actions. She also did it for my brother, who hurt his jaw.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just read a page saying how to make saline solution and it said not to use on open wounds and that it leaves the area quite dry. Also I'm considering the fact that Kiki will probably lick the cut straight after
Saline is not drying, and is probably the safest thing you could use. 

berbdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh but what do you think about the camomile water, and also my mom said that she could bring some saline from the hospital she works in tomorrow, but that it helps with cleaning but doesnt kill germs

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Oh but what do you think about the camomile water, and also my mom said that she could bring some saline from the hospital she works in tomorrow, but that it helps with cleaning but doesnt kill germs
Salt water is brilliant for cuts. One teaspoon of salt to a cup of warm water and bath her foot in that. :D

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unopened sterile saline from the hospital is fine to rinse a wound with, although expensive.  The contact lens solution would work just as well, or even a homemade (boiled) solution considering the cat is still walking on the paw.

Chamomile may decrease inflammation, but that's only going to help with inflammation.  The only thing that is going to help with bacteria is an antibiotic.  Some people swear by Neosporin ointment (WITHOUT pain reliever), but you must use a very tiny amount since it can be toxic to cats in certain amounts.  Also, remember that stuff sticks to Neosporin ointment, so applying it may actually not be worth it.  How big is the wound?  Is it deep?  Is it hot?  You might be better off just rinsing the paw with saline, getting a good look at it, then deciding if a vet visit tomorrow is needed.

berbdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I just tried to look at the cut, but Kiki growled at me and jumped away. From what I saw, it wasnt too big maybe half or a third the width of a cat's eye. It didnt look deep and had a bit of blood on it. As for how hot it was, I'd say normal body temperature, but I didnt get to compare it to the heat of the other paw before kiki jumped away

berbdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I cleaned the cut with camomile water, and its smaller than I thought. It looks mostly like a tiny patch of skin without fur and at the very edge there is a red cut 1/4 the width of a cat's eye. Oh and I got an OK picture on my phone, but somethings wrong and its qued for sending

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'd have your vet take a look at it. my concern would be a tiny bit of foreign object in the wound -- like a tiny glass shard or such, that could continue to work it's way into her paw pad skin. i'd want to be sure there was nothing sharp in the wound and have the vet prescribe an antibiotic to prevent infection. it's much easier to prevent an infection than to get rid of one, and less expensive.

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It definitely needs to be checked by a vet to make sure nothing is embedded in there and it can be properly cleaned and maybe an antibiotic given to reduce the risk of infection.  The growling and protecting her paw means it's hurting her and she's in pain.

berbdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, ill try convince my parents the best I can. We recently paid alot for vet visits with Berbol, so they wont be very keen >.