Tips for next step in cat introduction?

clolobo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Almost two weeks ago, my family adopted an 11 week-old male kitten named Cam. He's very sweet, chatty, and playful. We've been in the process of introducing him to our 7 year-old female, Una. I knew Una would struggle with him at first because she's always been quieter and more timid, but I think things have been going okay. They can be in the same room and be more or less at peace, as long as Cam is focused on something that isn't her.

They greet each other with nose boops, and Una even licked him a few times the other day. Just this morning, they were sharing a feather wand toy for the first time. However, Una still has issues with Cam trying to play with her. She softly growls when he gets too close, and will hiss and swat (no claws) when he tries to physically play with her. I try to keep Cam occupied with other toys whenever possible, but he'll still break away to try to chase and pounce on her. I know the hissing and swatting is good for setting boundaries, but I'm worried that it may escalate if he doesn't listen.

I understand it's still early in the introduction process, so things could easily improve within the next couple weeks, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help them along!

**Note: Una is NOT food motivated and doesn't like treats, so the method of getting them to eat near each other for positive association won't work lol

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Una sounds very nurturing and patient,the no claw paw is telling. I'm assuming they've had their separate space & time,then smell,then short supervised contact? If not you can go right back to stage 1,smell first,sight second screen or gate type separation and short sessions sharing mutual space- just remember it's Unas territory so Cam is the new guy so Cam gets the limited space,not Una...
Honestly,imo it sounds like it's going well-Una is teaching Cam.....personally I don't do shared toy play,someone is always odd man out ( just my own opinion,others might disagree)It's too competitive,I teach all mine to fetch their own favorite toy and throw 1 one way,one the opposite- they bring them back and go for their own toy.....no compete
I think your Una is just displaying Mama behavior,see what everyone else thinks- ,.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
11 weeks is very young. Usually not an age I'd recommend for him to be separated from litter mates.

She's teaching him. You can try just physical sitting next to her and preventing him from moving forward towards her again when he does this. Use another toy for distraction. If you're sitting right next to her, you can stop him from all sides because his breakaway from you is also away from her

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
11 weeks is very young. Usually not an age I'd recommend for him to be separated from litter mates.

She's teaching him. You can try just physical sitting next to her and preventing him from moving forward towards her again when he does this. Use another toy for distraction. If you're sitting right next to her, you can stop him from all sides because his breakaway from you is also away from her
Ageed,good advice
Cam has 2 Mama's now,he'll get it right ....team work,Una can teach him like no Holman can and you help Una as well..... it does sound like it going well,he's a BLESSED little fellow