Tips for leaving a cat alone

shelbyc47

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

I adopted my 5 month old tuxedo cat on Monday. I knew from the start that I needed to get him acclimated to being by himself during the day. So, on Tuesday I left him for 1 hour increments and played with him for about 30 minutes in between each 1 hour time slot. On Wednesday I did the same but for 2 hours, and today I did it for 3 hours. He is doing wonderfully! I plan on continuing this pattern until he gets used to being alone during the time that I will be gone once school starts back. However, next Saturday I will be gone for about 12 hours and next Sunday I will be gone for about 6 hours. I will be able to be here for the majority of his scheduled feeding times, and I already have an automatic feeder for the feeding times I will miss and water fountain for him. I plan on keeping him confined to his kitty room, which is a large spare room filled with toys, scratching posts, cat towers, a litter box, and his food/ water. Do you think he will be okay being left alone for this amount of time this soon? Also, do you have any tips for leaving him in the future?

Sincerely,
A very anxious new kitty owner :)

helen drye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
cct[/BI have found if I leave my cats with a dog crate with dog bed they will go to it when they are scared.I live in north west ar.and my hubby is from ok.so he will not buy us a shelter.so when I heard bad warnings I put my cats in there crates and place then in the hall way facing each other.some times I come home and can't find them.I have learn they have taken to there crates and that is where I find them.So when I have to leave I make sue they can get to then.