Tips For Flying With A Cat?

rhinuh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post in-- please point me elsewhere if need be!

Okay, so: I'm travelling with my fur baby Charlotte for the first time in a week. Heading home for Christmas, and she's had a few health issues (she's much better now, and the vet has reassured me she can fly!). Regardless, I'm still uncomfortable leaving her with a sitter for three weeks because of her recent health things, so I'm taking her home to the farm! My question for ya'll is: do you have any tips/tricks/advice for flying with a kitty? I've done some reading, and I know the very basics. But I'm curious about any stories, or things learned the hard way, maybe. The thing I'm most worried about is accidents-- Charlotte tends to pee in her carrier, whether or not she's nervous or chill. She just likes to free the bladder and I'm almost certain that's going to happen mid-flight. How should I handle a situation like that without making my row mates uncomfortable?

Thanks for any and all tips you can offer! Here's a pic of the adorable fluffer-nutter for reference:
Charlotte asking for scratches.jpg

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Well for sure you want to line her carrier with a puppy pad or even an opened baby diaper to absorb any urine, and bring with some cat or baby wipes. And absolutely you want her in a harness since you will likely need to take her out of the carrier at security and also so that if you should need to open her carrier you can keep control of her via the harness.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've flown with Saipha numerous times, and thankfully she's never peed in the carrier. But I did hear some advice to carry garbage bags, wipes, and a blanket with you. That way, even if she does manage to pee on the soft pad at the bottom of the carrier through/around the pee pads, you can just put it in the garbage bag to keep the smell in, wipe up the bottom, and replace with a clean blanket.