Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community
  1. Hi Guest! Cat experts Esther Mechler (founder of Spay USA) and Dr. Phil Bushby, DVM will be here from August 13th through 15th.
    Visit this time-limited forum here and post your questions about spaying and neutering cats.

Tips For Flying Cats

Discussion in 'Cat Health' started by mopandsheldon, Jun 13, 2018.

1. mopandsheldon

mopandsheldon Thread Starter TCS Member Kitten

Feb 7, 2018
    im moving in a few weeks and i just convenced my parents to let me bring my cats. they will be flying in cargo in the same crate together. do you have any advice to make it more easy/comfy for them? its a 5 an half hour flight its also through the night. any tips are helpfull

2. abyeb

abyeb Charlie's Purrson Staff Member Forum Helper

Feb 18, 2017
    How are they in car rides? If they get nervous while traveling, spraying Feliway in their carriers before the flight would help, but you could also talk to your vet about if they think an anti-anxiety medication would be useful.

Most of the people I've talked to who have gone on an airplane with cats take them in the main part of the plane. I would recommend checking with your airlines if that would be an option for you, because that way, your cats could travel in a soft carrier and you could interact with them a little bit while flying.

silkenpaw purraised this.

3. mopandsheldon

mopandsheldon Thread Starter TCS Member Kitten

Feb 7, 2018
    they have never really been in a car. there to big to go up with with ( there mainecoon mixs) what is feliway?

4. abyeb

abyeb Charlie's Purrson Staff Member Forum Helper

Feb 18, 2017
    Feliway is a spray that mimics feline pheromones. This helps cats to relax. It’s very harmless, and lots of cat owners say that it helps a lot. You can buy it in any pet supply store, and it doesn’t require a prescription or anything.

5. silkenpaw

silkenpaw TCS Member Super Cat

Oct 18, 2009
    Hollywood, FL, USA
    Make sure that your cats do not become lost. Put collars on them with your name and contact information. I begged a plastic collar from my vet, the kind they put on a cat that’s admitted to the hospital. Once they found out what I needed it for, they were thrilled to give it to me. Those collars are great because they are strong and easy to write on with a ballpoint pen or a marker.

Make sure your crate is put together correctly, with all the bolts screwed tightly. Put a padlock on the door for extra security, some of those “locks” are pretty rickety without a padlock.

Make sure the cats well hydrated but don’t feed them for 12 hours before flying; you don’t want any accidents in the crate. Make sure to bring them to the airport as late as you can get away with and pick up as soon as possible to minimize the time the crate sits on the tarmac in weather.

Good luck. Let us know how the kitties do.

abyeb purraised this.