Tiny Kittens Can't Eat

SoulMallow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat ended up having kittens after only her second time in heat, so she is not fully developed. The kittens are really little, one being born a day late and fear there may still be another on the way, going into the third day since this began. She acts normal and cares for the kittens, and we have bottle fed them to try and keep them alive. My cat, Mallow will lay down as we periodically try and get them to eat but they either fall asleep while trying, or fall over. Vets in my area are expensive and particularly scarce, so we aren't sure what to do from here.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do they take the bottle? If so its just to proceed. They need about 20 ml a day.
What kmr do you use?

You can smear a little water with honey on lips and gum, it gives quick energy.

If they have difficult with bottle try with a dropper in corner of mouth. Tummy down.

Continue with trying for mommas milk but continue with kmr or goats milk. SoulMallow SoulMallow

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SoulMallow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The one who barely survived birth does well with the bottle, but the first two have to be practically forced to open their mouths..
Here is the main predicament.. I can't bottle feed them, my parents do.. I am up at 2 a.m trying to get them to eat some because mamma cat keeps meowing at me when they whine. I know they are suppose to eat around every two hours, but my parents need to sleep..

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As said a dropper or a little syringe is tricky but may be easier.
Some try with a little sponge drenched in with kmr or goats milk

SoulMallow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are there any particular signs I should watch for?

SoulMallow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your help.. but I believe one will not make it til sunrise.. He is really little and would not eat at all according to my mother.. I became worried when he stopped making as much noise as before and woke up my mother even though I was asked not too... She says it was maybe sick or just too small..

My cat is a siamese and I read earlier they are more likely to have problems.. I still wish I could have done more to keep them all alive..

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try again try harder. Keep warm but not hot. Massage it.

Smear water with honey on lips and gum.
If it perks up a little get this honey water into him with a dropper.
SoulMallow SoulMallow

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you been stimulating their little behinds with a warm wet wash cloth to make them pee/poo?They become lethargic if they don't get to go. Keep them warm and feed as StefanZ says, it is all you can do. My heart goes out to you.....

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They really must be fed every two hours, even every hour if they are in very rough shape.

Which formula are you using?

Are you able to keep mom inside and away from intact males?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please watch this very helpful video about syringe feeding kittens and stimulating their genitals to pee and poop.

Syringe Feeding

You are lucky that your parents are helping!

I hope the kittens make it. Which formula are you using?

SoulMallow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are using carnation..? Mallow won't stay with the kittens as much now and I believe she hid the sick one..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is the Carnation human infant formula?

Please look for the runt, and do not let mom take the babies out of one room.

SoulMallow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She hid them all in a corner when my mother made me go to bed, since it was 4 am.
and no, its evaporated milk with egg yolk.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get goats milk?

This carnation ok emergency formula but goats milk is always good. SoulMallow SoulMallow

SoulMallow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dunno.. I'm trying my best to feed them, but mother cat keeps trying to steal their food, and idk how much they are getting

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may need to move each kitten out of the room while you feed. The formula you are using is not sufficient for their nutritional needs.

Where are you located? I think you may want to consider handing the kittens over to an experienced bottle feeder with a rescue.

SoulMallow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to do by this point.. The mother has stopped paying any attention to them.. making me believe she thinks they're all dead considering she hid them in a cold corner under the blankets..

They're in my makeshift closet, as my room didn't already have one.. The sick one was wrapped in a shirt when I fell asleep, I still can't find it..