Tiny kittens and fleas.

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, we rescued a couple of 4 week old kittens from outside. They are both ridden with fleas. I don't know what would be safe to get rid of the fleas but they are really terrible. Flea comb isn't working at all, the vet said to use Adam's spray but that didn't work at all either... dawn lemon bath, the whole nine yards. Nothing has worked. Any other suggestions would be great. They live mostly around the eyes right now and it's tricky combing through there.

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you rung your vets again to let them know the product they recommended isn't working?  As well as defleaing, they also need worming.  Also those fleas are laying eggs that are falling into your carpets and floors - hope you haven't let them run round the house. 

Whatever, don't get pet shop products - some are dangerous, most are ineffective and in the UK they are no cheaper than safe effective products.

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/fleas/info.html

There used to be a pump-action Frontline spray in the UK which could be used on kiittens this small, I have no idea if it's still available or not.  My vets used to keep it to treat kittens with obvious fleas.

In the meantime change their bedding each day and either wash it hot (60C) or discard it.  Do lots of vacuuming as well to reduce the burden of flea eggs and larvae, and look at treating the room they are in (or the house).

(Edit) I just Googled for 'Frontline spray' and it's still around.  However in the UK it needs a prescription.  The US might be different.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Washing the bedding every day will be difficult, we don't have a washer and dryer at home and we have no vehicle and lately it's been 110 F with the laundromat about a mile away. We can try vacuuming.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What I did with kittens I took in that had  a lot of fleas, I kept combing them with a fine tooth comb and as the fleas were coming off on th comb I put it into soapy dish washing liqiod that killed them until they were old enough for frontline.  Hope this helps

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's very important that you be diligent in ridding the babies and home of fleas.  If you can't get the bedding washed daily, put a flea collar in your vacuum bag and vacuum them, then put them in a trash bag and set outside so they are not inside your home.  Vacuum the floor and area where they are playing and sleeping.  You can sprinkle food grade Diatomaceous Earth, found at feed stores and organic garden centers) on the carpet and then let sit.  Vacuum up a few hours later.  Get a flea comb and dip it in Dawn water.  Comb them daily.  You could also bathe them in Dawn water daily until the fleas are gone.  I don't know if you can give them a Capstar or part of a Capstar at that age, but ask your vet.  Of course, you'll also need to have them treated for tapeworms because they're going to have them.  However, I don't know if they're old enough for that.  Here's the dangerous things about fleas and young kittens.  Fleas can and will deplete their blood supply, leaving them anemic, and can lead to death.  That's why it's so important for you to stay on top of it and treat them daily.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For now just bathe them in Dawn everyday and comb the fleas out while they are still damp. Don't let them get too cold in the process.

The Front Line spray is prescription only here too, that would obviously be ideal. If you can afford that route, do it. Also, your vet may prescribe it w/o you having to come in if he's already seen these 2 before.

As far as your bedding/transportation situation, change the bedding every day & put it in a sealed plastic garbage bag outside until you can get to the laundromat.

Last edited:

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We'll do the Dawn dish soap... we only have the one change of bedding. These guys were orphaned and with an 85% kill rate at our shelter we had no choice but to bring them in.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can use old towels for bedding.  If you can get to the dollar store or a thrift store, you can get some towels for them fairly cheap.

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I read about a trick somewhere: put a ring of soap(?) around the neck to trap the fleas on the body and then wash the body. I will try to find the source because I'm not sure... hopefully someone with experience will chime in.

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you are giving your cat a flea bath, wet the area around its neck first. Fleas will try to escape to the dry areas of the cat, which can mean a mass exodus of fleas to the head and face while you are bathing. A wet neck will keep them off the head, and in contact with the water and flea shampoo.

http://www.wikihow.com/Bathe-a-Cat

Fleas will run for the driest area of the kitten, so it is not unusual to see them swarm to the head and facial area. If you can grab these fleas, drop them into the cup of hot water you prepared or stick them on the double-sided tape before rinsing the kitten.

http://petsadviser.com/pet-health/flea-medicine-for-kittens/

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I run a cat rescue group and have tons of experience with fleas, this recent kitten season I have pulled 60+ newborns and young kittens from our Humane Society, and believe me they ALL are loaded with fleas. Most were born outdoors.

Depending on the age, here's what I do with perfect success-

Moms with nursing babies, treat the mom first with Advantage! Make sure it is under her fur on her neck and pat it down so as to not allow it to run down and come in contact with the babies.

Within 2 days the fleas that were seen on the babies should be gone as well, the fleas prefer the moms fur over babies.

If they are still seen on the babies I put the baby under warm water, very warm but of course net hot!

The great thing about fleas is they can not swim, although it takes up to 15 minutes to drown, holding the baby in water for at least 10 minutes, the fleas will let go and then drown, going down the drain.

The ring of soap thing is this-you put a 4 week old or older kitten or an adult cat in a bath and the fleas will all come up to their face, ears and eyes, mouth, etc. to hide.

So before putting them in a bath, I take a wet washcloth with plenty of dishsoap and starting at the underside of the neck, start creating a soapy ring, all the way around the neck and up to just under the ears.

This means the fleas don't get a chance to move up, then proceed with the bath, without disturbing the soap ring until later in the bath, soaping them up well, especially underside, as they will hide like mad, deep in their fur in the armpits and lower tummy. Rinse, rinse rinse, which also aids in fleas drowning.

Be sure to towel dry well and keep warm, although I will use a blow dryer I hate to advise this since it's tricky to not burn them, I filter the warm air with my hand, fluffing the fur with my hand and blowdrying the back of my hand so I can feel if it's getting hot, constantly moving the dryer.

BTW, I treat kittens at least 4 weeks old with 0.15 ml of Advantage. Thats about 4 small drops. I've treated literally hundreds of kittens this way, for Advantage it's supposed to be 0.4 ml's at age 8 weeks.

Hope this helped.

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Heh, I'm originally from San Jose. Moved away two and a half years ago. Though I doubt it's really "hot" there right now. Not compared to the over 100+ degree temps we've had all month where I live. I think we have had one day below 100, and a lot of this past week was 110.

About Advantage: Our adult cat started foaming at the mouth when we used it on her; she had NOT licked it off. She was foaming within four minutes and I had watched her. So I'm hesitant to use it on any cat, and one of these kittens was just half a pound a week ago. He may be 10-11 ounces now.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, the foaming is from the smell. I have confirmed this twice now from 2 different vets, as occasionally I have seen this happen, 1 cat I am caring for now in fact.

Another very short side effect is squinting eyes, one of my personal cats acts like this and squints, but again it is a temporary thing and harmless.

Fleas can do lots of harm, and even kill a kitten, seen this as well. Flea anemia is deadly, kittens don't have resources like adults do.

I swear by Advantage, to be the best and most effective.

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Heh, I'm originally from San Jose. Moved away two and a half years ago. Though I doubt it's really "hot" there right now. Not compared to the over 100+ degree temps we've had all month where I live. I think we have had one day below 100, and a lot of this past week was 110.
I'm from NYC and have lived in the midwest and you are correct - it is really not that hot especially for this time of year. We're having a very mild summer.

Today should reach a high of 95F, which is a very tolerable temp here since humidity is nil.

Last edited:

mende staggs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Catwoman 707, We have two tiny kittens (from a feral mom that showed at our house) that are probably 2-3 weeks old and are covered with flea eggs en masse. I have not seen adult fleas on the kittens. Do you have any suggestions on how to treat? We are having a difficult time getting all the eggs off the kittens without pulling out fur. I've heard of using mayonnaise to remove lice nits from humans. Do you think we might try this with the kittens?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Catwoman 707, We have two tiny kittens (from a feral mom that showed at our house) that are probably 2-3 weeks old and are covered with flea eggs en masse. I have not seen adult fleas on the kittens. Do you have any suggestions on how to treat? We are having a difficult time getting all the eggs off the kittens without pulling out fur. I've heard of using mayonnaise to remove lice nits from humans. Do you think we might try this with the kittens?
I pm'd you.

hestias family

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just got a kitten this past Saturday, she will be 9 weeks 9-21-15.  I'm pretty sure she didn't have fleas when we got her, I think the humans in our home brought fleas in from our back yard because I had noticed a

flea on me a few times the week prior.  Anyway, I didn't realize Frontline could be used on an 8 week old kitten so I will get that or take to the vet because as I understand she will need to be treated for worms as well but what i'm clueless about is treating our home.  Will it still be necessary to treat the home if she has been treated with Frontline?  Also, what is the best thing to do about our outdoors.  We have one outside dog and a cat (was a stray) both have been treated prior for fleas so we don't bring the fleas back in.  I don't understand the flea problem here, it's dry here.  We have been under a burn band, so dry we have a problem with frogs getting into pets water..dry.  I've never had to bomb a house before for anything, do you have to wipe down furniture and things once it dries?  I'm totally clueless.