Tiny Kitten - Vet Put On Meds - Now Doing The "crouch"

Nancy Ninetails

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have about an 8 week old kitten (rescue so exact age unknown). Took for a vet check. Was dewormed 2/21. Vet said had coccidia and diarrhea. Put him on meds. Called vet since he struggles to defecate and is now not eating. Put him on an appetite stimulant/vitamin. He has only had one dose of that. Still struggling to defecate and doing the "crouch".

Any advice for this guy? Scared he isn't going to make it. Tried to stimulate a bowel movement but did not work. Should also note he is getting pedialite as well.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried plain pureed pumpkin? Or a couple drops of olive oil in his food/by syringe directly into the mouth?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you call the vet and ask if you could use a tiny bit of Miralax on such a young kitten? It would likely yield results faster than other alternatives. If not, ask the vet about Laxatone, which is a flavored edible petroleum gel and if that would be safe for a young kitten? I would stay away from the pumpkin for right now, as it might make the problem worse since it adds fiber to the stool.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you call the vet and ask if you could use a tiny bit of Miralax on such a young kitten? It would likely yield results faster than other alternatives. If not, ask the vet about Laxatone, which is a flavored edible petroleum gel and if that would be safe for a young kitten? I would stay away from the pumpkin for right now, as it might make the problem worse since it adds fiber to the stool.
Pumpkin fixed my kitten's constipation in 24 hours.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pumpkin fixed my kitten's constipation in 24 hours.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be critical of your suggestion. It's just that pumpkin can be used for either constipation or diarrhea, depending on the nature of the problem. So, I am always kind of leery to recommend it, never knowing for sure whether it might have the opposite of the intended effect.

Glad it worked for your kitten, though!!

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be critical of your suggestion. It's just that pumpkin can be used for either constipation or diarrhea, depending on the nature of the problem. So, I am always kind of leery to recommend it, never knowing for sure whether it might have the opposite of the intended effect.

Glad it worked for your kitten, though!!
It should make the kitten more regular, but I understand what you're saying. My vet was enthusiastic about using pumpkin to clear up constipation in kittens (minimizing pharmaceutical options), though, and I do trust his judgment.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coconut oil straight from an eyedropper or syringe. 2- 3 drops, then if he hasn't gone in a few hours, repeat.
When mine had Giardia I had to do this.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin can help for constipation because it brings moisture with it. But it also adds bulk. So if bulk is not desirable, you can use Miralax to bring moisture without bulk. You'll need to give Miralax with a little bit of moisture like a tuna serving or baby food or whatever you can get him to eat. A little olive oil or a small pat of butter will help grease the chute if you can't get any pumpkin or Miralax in him. When he's eating again, you can choose between pumpkin or Miralax based on whether or not his stools need extra bulk to keep him regular if the constipation returns.