Tiny kitten help

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping to get answers too. So the kitten is starting to pee on his own now but he still hasn't pooped at all. Do I still need to stimulate him after his feedings? The vet said that his belly was soft and wasn't concerned about constipation but should I still try to get him to go or just let it happen naturally it's been about 4 days but he pees alot.
Yes, do continue to stimulate.  If by no other reason, it makes your work easier, you getting some controle on where he is peeing, so he isnt soiling his bedding.   Also, you want to get his nr 2 get going...

A part of it is, if he is somewhat  dehydrated, the poo will be harder than usual = constipation.  As he now gets correct amoutn of fluids, he should soon begin with the proper production of wastes too.

Also, you can give a couple of drops of oil with his food with every meal.  Its a harmless home remedy  loosening constipation.  Almost any food oil will do, but our recommendation are coldpressed organic style olive oil, rapeseed / canola oil or cocoa  oil.   These are healthy and nourishing foods by themselves, so its an extra plus.

If this doesnt works out, next step will be minerale oils.  which is more potent, but the problem is to where find a food grade minerale oil...  But this your vet promised to help you with questions if you had, so you can always phone and ask.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babysasha2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your response. I did ask the vet today before I posted the question here and he said to "just wait it out and let nature take its course" but in the same sentence he said "we don't usually see kittens this young everyday". I felt uneasy with his response that's why I asked the question here.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
you can add a drop or two of oil to each feeding. stimulate before feeding and after feeding. damp warm wet cloth feels like moms tongue.

I don't blame you for being uneasy about the response..I am sure other folks will chime in. You can never overfeed a kitten..feed as much as they want.

more pictures please!

babysasha2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
you can add a drop or two of oil to each feeding. stimulate before feeding and after feeding. damp warm wet cloth feels like moms tongue.

I don't blame you for being uneasy about the response..I am sure other folks will chime in. You can never overfeed a kitten..feed as much as they want.

more pictures please!
I haven't been stimulating before feedings only after but I will start as of today. He is starting to eat more and more at each feeding. For whatever reason he takes more from my son than he does from me. His belly gets so big but he does pee alot afterwards. I will get some more pictures put up today.

babysasha2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is so darling.  Have you picked out a name for him yet?
Thank you, I am getting very attached to him. We are a family of 6 and I'm trying to let the kids decide. They are torn between the names Angel and Halo. The boys say that Angel is too girly lol. I was wanting to wait until he was a little older to see his personality but I don't like the kids all calling him different names lol

babysasha2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just realized that he has finally pooped and he did it on his own. I only had coconut oil so I added a tiny bit to his bottle last night. I put coconut oil in my dogs food for his skin and digestion so that's something that I always have in the house.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He'll be 3 weeks old tomorrow, so the really fragile age has passed. He should be getting some teeth poking through in the next few days or so---when he does, you can start adding a little meat baby food to his milk, as an introduction to solid food. When he's 4 weeks, offer a little canned kitten food (I like Fancy Feast turkey for something easy to find, but if you can get Royal Canin Babycat that's the best) mixed with formula to make a mush and try to get him to eat some (it'll be messy the first few times!). Once he's eating solids he shouldn't need to be stimulated to go potty anymore.

I like to give orphan kittens at least 1 bottle a day up until 8 or 10 weeks (or whenever they refuse it on their own), because I think this helps prevent adult suckling behaviors, but you can gradually cut back on his bottles as he eats more solid food. I prefer to keep little kittens confined when unsupervised---a large carrier or solid-bottomed rabbit/guinea pig cage should work---because there are so many dangers in a busy household. It also helps them develop better litterbox skills.

Enjoy this time, he'll be a big kitty before you know it! :D

babysasha2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He'll be 3 weeks old tomorrow, so the really fragile age has passed. He should be getting some teeth poking through in the next few days or so---when he does, you can start adding a little meat baby food to his milk, as an introduction to solid food. When he's 4 weeks, offer a little canned kitten food (I like Fancy Feast turkey for something easy to find, but if you can get Royal Canin Babycat that's the best) mixed with formula to make a mush and try to get him to eat some (it'll be messy the first few times!). Once he's eating solids he shouldn't need to be stimulated to go potty anymore.

I like to give orphan kittens at least 1 bottle a day up until 8 or 10 weeks (or whenever they refuse it on their own), because I think this helps prevent adult suckling behaviors, but you can gradually cut back on his bottles as he eats more solid food. I prefer to keep little kittens confined when unsupervised---a large carrier or solid-bottomed rabbit/guinea pig cage should work---because there are so many dangers in a busy household. It also helps them develop better litterbox skills.

Enjoy this time, he'll be a big kitty before you know it! :D
That all sounds great thanks. I already have some meat baby food that someone gave me chicken and turkey. I also bought some fancy feast turkey kitten food the other day. I only bought 5 tiny cans for when he is old enough but when that is gone I will go to pets mart to get the Royal Canin Babycat because I've seen it there before. I just fed him again and he did pee and poop again so at least were over that hurdle for the time being. It's good to hae a time line of what to do and when since I've never done this before.

babysasha2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention that I do have him confined at all times. There are strict rules that only I can remove him from the box. I do have a large solid bottom rabbit cage that's been sitting in the garage for a few months so I think I will clean that out and have it ready to transition him to in the next week or so. He has gotten a lot more active since I first brought him home.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well it's been several days since checking in and see things are coming along nicely, doing a great job!

At this point what I will do is take one of those small cardboard flats that fancy feast comes in, which you can pick up anywhere, put a little newspaper on the bottom and some NON-CLUMPING ONLY litter in it, and then when you stimulate him, do it over the box, then now and then put him in the box and dig front paws a little, he will hop right out but this is a great start for litter box use.

They really don't need to be trained, it's instinctual for them to bury their scent to avoid predators.

Confined kittens always end up excellent faithful users too.

Non clumping because he will eat it at first, why who knows but they all do it in the very beginning and up to maybe 6 weeks or about.

One problem with raising a solo baby is due to lack of siblings to interact with, he will not learn the skills on appropriate behavior with other cats. This affects the rest of their lives.

Too bad you couldn't ask a rescue or shelter if they have one they can let you foster, but they do need to be the exact same age, as it progresses fast, from 3 1/2 week olds beginning to tag one another, and advancing weekly in to WWF wrestling matches and chasing one another by 7-8 weeks and up.

Last edited:

babysasha2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well it's been several days since checking in and see things are coming along nicely, doing a great job!
At this point what I will do is take one of those small cardboard flats that fancy feast comes in, which you can pick up anywhere, put a little newspaper on the bottom and some NON-CLUMPING ONLY litter in it, and then when you stimulate him, do it over the box, then now and then put him in the box and dig front paws a little, he will hop right out but this is a great start for litter box use.
They really don't need to be trained, it's instinctual for them to bury their scent to avoid predators.
Confined kittens always end up excellent faithful users too.

Non clumping because he will eat it at first, why who knows but they all do it in the very beginning and up to maybe 6 weeks or about.

One problem with raising a solo baby is due to lack of siblings to interact with, he will not learn the skills on appropriate behavior with other cats. This affects the rest of their lives.
Too bad you couldn't ask a rescue or shelter if they have one they can let you foster, but they do need to be the exact same age, as it progresses fast, from 3 1/2 week olds beginning to tag one another, and advancing weekly in to WWF wrestling matches and chasing one another by 7-8 weeks and up.
I was going to start the litter box next week but I will introduce it now. He is developing so fast that he amazes me daily. I will do it exactly as you said and hopefully everything will go well. I did notice today that he does already have teeth, I don't know how I missed them but they are there. I put a dab of turkey baby food on my finger to see if he would lick it off and he didnt, I even wiped a dab on his mouth and he didn't react so I'm going to try again in a few days. I truly do wish he had a sibling here with him as I know how important socialization is with other kittens for his development.