Tiny 2 week old kitten

Salchicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!
I rescued a litter of 4 kittens on December 29th (they were previously rescued from a plastic bag in the trash by another person on the 25th, but he couldn't keep them). I believe they are approximately 17 days old now, which would place them at around 250g+, ideally (please correct me if I'm wrong). Three of them are about 245g, 250g and 268g, which I think it's fair since they were less than 80g when the other person rescued them, but the last one is at merely 155g!..
I've had a couple of problems with her since the beginning; she had a bit of diarrhea, an eye infection, would suckle on her siblings but wouldn't eat, so I had to slowly "force-feed" her with a syringe. I was really worried about her... Her weight wouldn't go up the first couple of days, stuck in 90g at a bit more than a week old. However, as her eye infection started getting better, she's regained her appetite and has been steadily gaining weight, around 10g per day!
I've been feeding her every 2:20hrs and her siblings every 3:20hrs, so my question lies here: should I keep feeding her by weight or by age, along with her siblings?

Thanks in advance!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know the answer to your question, but wanted to say bless you for everything. I know it isn't easy, what you've taken on, and as the old saying goes, you deserve a star in your crown. I think the vet could better answer this question for you, and I hope he or she can tell you over the phone, without you having to go to the extra expense of taking her in. Please keep us posted on how the kittens are.

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!
I rescued a litter of 4 kittens on December 29th (they were previously rescued from a plastic bag in the trash by another person on the 25th, but he couldn't keep them). I believe they are approximately 17 days old now, which would place them at around 250g+, ideally (please correct me if I'm wrong). Three of them are about 245g, 250g and 268g, which I think it's fair since they were less than 80g when the other person rescued them, but the last one is at merely 155g!..
I've had a couple of problems with her since the beginning; she had a bit of diarrhea, an eye infection, would suckle on her siblings but wouldn't eat, so I had to slowly "force-feed" her with a syringe. I was really worried about her... Her weight wouldn't go up the first couple of days, stuck in 90g at a bit more than a week old. However, as her eye infection started getting better, she's regained her appetite and has been steadily gaining weight, around 10g per day!
I've been feeding her every 2:20hrs and her siblings every 3:20hrs, so my question lies here: should I keep feeding her by weight or by age, along with her siblings?

Thanks in advance!
Wow, thanks for taking care of them! I do feel angry though some cruel people can just dump them in bins 😾

My cat recently had kittens too. My tracking spreadsheet shows all except for were over 300g. 150g after two weeks could indicate it has some underlying issues? Have you done a gentle physical check on it? Is it pee/poo normal? I supplement feed my smallest one with PE 3 times a day - note they are with mom. My vet told me for kittens at this age, nutrition and weight gaining is crucial, even if they have deformities, nothing invasive can be done until they are a bit older.

good luck and keep us posted

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The history as you describe, proves she isnt the classical runt, its the infection which drained her energhy... When infection become better, so the daily gains come. 10 grammes a day is not whopping, but its a sound good raise.

My suggestion is, even if she is better, you continue with the extra care. While here healthy siblings you may proceed as it is.

Ps. I gather they do add their regular 10 grammes a day. Its sa said good, but many kittens add more... IF you manage, you could perhaps give them slightly more often, say, every 3 hours in the days??
As you forcefeed with syringe the little one, I presume you use bottle for the biggies?
What kmr do you use?
Can you get raw goats milk? Raw goats milk has some potential health properties. Not necessary here, but still, useful.

Tx for your service to humanity and cats. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Salchicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The history as you describe, proves she isnt the classical runt, its the infection which drained her energhy... When infection become better, so the daily gains come. 10 grammes a day is not whopping, but its a sound good raise.

My suggestion is, even if she is better, you continue with the extra care. While here healthy siblings you may proceed as it is.

Ps. I gather they do add their regular 10 grammes a day. Its sa said good, but many kittens add more... IF you manage, you could perhaps give them slightly more often, say, every 3 hours in the days??
As you forcefeed with syringe the little one, I presume you use bottle for the biggies?
What kmr do you use?
Can you get raw goats milk? Raw goats milk has some potential health properties. Not necessary here, but still, useful.

Tx for your service to humanity and cats. :)
Her siblings generally add more than 10g a day, but it's sometimes uneven: some days it'll be 20g, others 9g, or as little as 2g... I don't really understand why, cause they eat similar quantities at each feeding, around 10ml. According to Kitten Lady, it should be more than that, but as I said, they generally add more than 10g per day.

As for the little one, I don't have to force feed her anymore, she suckles from the syringe (I still use it to better track her milk intake). I try to use the bottle for the biggies, but they are not so strong sucklers (getting better though 😁), so I complement with the syringe.

PetAg KMR doesn't exist in my country; the best one here is Royal Canin Babycat milk, but it's out of stock everywhere, so I've been using Lactol. I'll see if I can get a hold of raw goat's milk.

Thanks for the reply!

Salchicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again :sweat:

I felt the need to come here again because I have some doubts about the little one...

I've been guiding myself with KittenLady's feeding chart (sometimes too literally 🙃), seen below:
Screenshot_20220118-172639_YouTube.jpg

As Margarita (the smallest of the litter) is now 245g, that would mean that she could be fed every 3:30 hours, but my problem is that she's not eating even near those 10-14ml... She'll willingly accept up to 3ml, but I "semi-force-feed" the rest of the 5,5ml syringe, and that's it! :dunno: She's still gaining 10g or more per day, but that's probably gonna change soon.
Yesterday I tried feeding her along with her siblings for the night (every 3:20 hrs), and I noticed that when I was done with them all and I would go for a second round with her, she would drink just a couple more ml from the bottle... Is that enough? Or should I stick with the 2:20 routine?

Thanks in advance!

*Pic of the culprit*
20240113_210650.jpg

Salchicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, should I worry if some days they don't gain weight? Or just a couple of grams?

Or the real question: Am I worrying too much about these kitties? :lol:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What you are doing sounds fine. As long as the kittens are gaining weight consistently, things sound good.

It’s okay to extend the time between feedings as long as the kitten is gaining daily.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
That little one is adorable- I personally would feed her more often if you see she cannot get what the adequate amount for her weight is all at once as the others can take in one feeding session.... It's like a tiny person with a smaller tummy,they get full faster

However ,from the info you provided her steady weight gain is good ,Id give her the extra feedings to try to increase it more than just adequate

You're doing a wonderful job btw,I think you are the " cats meow"👍❤

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You got good advices. Occasional less gain is normal, as long as the average is the same. but less gain 2 days running is worrying.

Re these kmrs. Lactol is surely OK, lots of our forumites seems to use it, and do have good results.
Re "the best there is in your country", royal Canine... This has a some reputation there may be sometimes constipation; and the receipt against is, to dilute it somewhat more than what is on the label....

Goats milk does seldom cause constipation, so its almost always a doable alternative / supplement. also when the kittens become cats.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent suggestion from StefanZ StefanZ to dilute more than the label instructs,she certainly does not need to be constipated and I would rather prevent with such a simple solution instead of.... Well,you get my point

Salchicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I hope you're all OK
As for the kitties, one of them got sick today... I think I accidentally gave (just) him spoiled slurry (milk + wet food I refrigerated) and he vomited :frown:. I feel so bad!
I've seen it happen only once and he has regained his appetite and energy since, but he's still losing weight; 25g in less than a day! He has pooped twice today and it seemed fine, though...
Don't know whether to worry or not. I'm out of town until Sunday and vets here are not so good, to be honest. I hope he gains weight tomorrow! :cringe:

What do you think?
20240125_125014.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You said in your Post #12 that you are out of town until Sunday. That is why I asked if you have someone to check on mama and kittens in your absence — weigh them, put food and water down, etc.

Now you say you are with them. I am very confused. Are you with the kittens or not?
Salchicat Salchicat

Salchicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry if I failed to explain myself :disappointed:
I stayed in another town for a week and I brought the kittens with me. They don't have a mama; I've been feeding them, weighing them and everything else

Salchicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vomiting kitten (Narciso) is better now, we don't know if it was the slurry or something else that he ingested, but they gave him Dipramida and instructed me to give him only milk for a few days. He has also gained a lot of weight!

On the other hand, everything else has been a disaster, haha :stars:. I'm having trouble weaning them; nobody really understands what to do with the food, even when I use my finger to give it to them, they are not interested unless it is in a slurry... Three of them accept the slurry, including Narciso, but I can't feed him that anymore. The other one (Camelia) doesn't like it, and I think she might be allergic because every time she tries it, she starts coughing a while later...
There is also one (Begonia) who doesn't want to eat all of a sudden, and she has dropped a few grams since yesterday :(

I honestly need a bit of guidance in this confusing time :sigh: