Tinkling on bathroom floor

elssa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm finding a small lake on my (tile) bathroom floor lately.. There haven't been any changes to her routine or changes in her health.  Appetite is good.  I tried getting her a new box and keeping everything very clean, but hasn't helped.  Anything I can do to discourage this behavior?  Thanks!

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats are very good at not acting sick when they are. How do you know this is not health related?

Where did you put the new box?

riccadawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you take her to the vet yet? Could be a urinary tract infection...the main symptom is peeing outside the box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elssa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, she's been to the vet in the past couple months and does have early stage CKD (she's about 17 years old).  Pepcid was recommended, and that has stopped the vomiting completely and gotten her appetite back to normal (voracious). lol  Her energy is good, jumping up on counters etc as usual..

She has peed outside the box off and on over the years before any health problems, though.  In the past, I've cut back on her water and the problem has gone away, but I don't want to reduce the water now that she has CKD.   The vet seems to think the peeing is behavioral since it's been an intermittent problem for so long.  Just wondering if there's anything I can do to discourage this behavior... Thanks. :) 

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since she's so old I have to wonder if it is pain related somehow? where are the boxes? how easy is it for her to get in and out of them?

What kind of litter? have you tried cat attract litter?

elssa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think she's in pain, as she's jumping around up and down as usual (she's part Abyssinian - still very active).  I ordered that Cat Attract Litter... hope that works.  Thanks for the suggestion!  :)  

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you put a litterbox in the bathroom to see if she uses it? THat could be a clue. If not there is certainly something that tells her the litterbox means pain, and she needs medical attention.

elssa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The litterbox is now and has always been in one of my bathrooms. 

Thanks again AEEVR for recommending the Cat Attract Litter...keeping my paws crossed.  :)