Timmy

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,
I am looking for some fast advice on how to get a shelter up out of the stuff I have at my house. I will say it is not much. My Timmy is coughing and sneezing and the rain is about to come in bad. can someone please give me ideas on how to take two patio chairs and a tarp and some straw and make it someplace safe for him.
Or do you think he will just not even bother? He normally sits under my car if he wants to come eat, yet with his health right now I am worried about that.
If anyone has any ideas please don't hesitate to throw them out please. the rain comes in on wed.
Thank ya'll so much ..

no need to reply to the thread , I was going to delete it but I cant. I will get it figured out ..
If an admin reads this post please delete it for me thanks.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm not sure why you want this deleted? Anyway, TCS doesn't delete posts/threads.

Can you get some l-lysine to help boost his immune system? Also, you need some weights such as big bricks to hold the edges of the tarp down. He may use it.
I am feeding him l-lysin now and hoping for the best.

The reason I wanted to delete it was because I was feeling very anxious and worried for him and felt like I was panicking. Which I kinda am

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
On building a shelter...
Using bricks to hold the tarp will be helpful if there is wind. Make sure he sees you placing food, water, etc. there.
If possible, aim the entrance of the shelter towards a 90 degree area of a building so it's protected from wind and rain, but make sure he has plenty of room to move in and out of it easily.
https://www.chewy.com/s?query=vetri dmg&nav-submit-button=
A few members here have recommended this product when l-lysine isn't working as well as they had hoped. I have not used it yet, but have it as a just in case.

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On building a shelter...
Using bricks to hold the tarp will be helpful if there is wind. Make sure he sees you placing food, water, etc. there.
If possible, aim the entrance of the shelter towards a 90 degree area of a building so it's protected from wind and rain, but make sure he has plenty of room to move in and out of it easily.
https://www.chewy.com/s?query=vetri dmg&nav-submit-button=
A few members here have recommended this product when l-lysine isn't working as well as they had hoped. I have not used it yet, but have it as a just in case.
Thanks so much for the advice and I will check on this product once I get to work. Thank you very much ☺

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
price053 price053 - can you open up a little more about his health, what is it about his health that has you concerned? What are you seeing?

I will say something about Lysine, though. For years, there's been an 'old wives tale', now an "urban myth" going around that says 'Lysine boosts the immune system'. Well, it turns out that Lysine does no such thing! It does absolutely nothing for the immune system.

This myth might have come about when people discovered that high doses of L-lysine given in a careful treatment regimen were able to stop Feline Herpesvirus outbreaks and flareups. Not understanding the science behind this, folks may have believed that it was acting as an immune-booster, so that it was a strengthened immune system that then attacked and successfully stopped the virus. But, when scientists looked into this, it was discovered that the Lysine was acting directly on the virus and preventing it from replicating itself......it was acting as an anti-viral. It was not acting on the 'immune system' at all! (and, Lysine does not 'work' on/against any other virus, either)

So, if you are using Lysine in low doses on a somewhat regular basis, or now and then believing it is helping this little cat, you really are wasting your resources and time. Save that money for something else that will actually help!

Some people here use the other product mentioned above, the DMG. I do know that people who manage the health of their FIV+ cats do use DMG in some cases. There are many references to that in the Bud’s FIV Therapy site.

So, back to his health, what's going on, what are you seeing?

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
price053 price053 - can you open up a little more about his health, what is it about his health that has you concerned? What are you seeing?

I will say something about Lysine, though. For years, there's been an 'old wives tale', now an "urban myth" going around that says 'Lysine boosts the immune system'. Well, it turns out that Lysine does no such thing! It does absolutely nothing for the immune system.

This myth might have come about when people discovered that high doses of L-lysine given in a careful treatment regimen were able to stop Feline Herpesvirus outbreaks and flareups. Not understanding the science behind this, folks may have believed that it was acting as an immune-booster, so that it was a strengthened immune system that then attacked and successfully stopped the virus. But, when scientists looked into this, it was discovered that the Lysine was acting directly on the virus and preventing it from replicating itself......it was acting as an anti-viral. It was not acting on the 'immune system' at all! (and, Lysine does not 'work' on/against any other virus, either)

So, if you are using Lysine in low doses on a somewhat regular basis, or now and then believing it is helping this little cat, you really are wasting your resources and time. Save that money for something else that will actually help!

Some people here use the other product mentioned above, the DMG. I do know that people who manage the health of their FIV+ cats do use DMG in some cases. There are many references to that in the Bud’s FIV Therapy site.

His health is pretty good. He just showed up one day watery eyes and sneezing. I do believe it is from the heavy pollen in my area. I will get the other product after pay day its just at the time that was the only thing I could get my hands on. I wanted to give him amoxicillin but I had to order it and its on the way. He is just real congested and I was trying to cut it off at the pass per say before it got worse. The rain is coming and I wanted to protect his immune system the best I could. I have been giving him the l-lysin and he is eating better but a bit congested. Thank you for sharing that information with me 💜💜

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I just think it's the pollen, like hay fever, not feline aids. He only got this way once the pollen got heavy ..not saying he doesn't have it but he never has had this before and it came on after the pollen

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just think it's the pollen, like hay fever, not feline aids. He only got this way once the pollen got heavy ..not saying he doesn't have it but he never has had this before and it came on after the pollen
Going from winter to spring has always been my cats times to get a URI or symptoms like it. IDK if it's the pollen, the seasons, or what but if someone is going to start sneezing, it's right around this time of year.

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Going from winter to spring has always been my cats times to get a URI or symptoms like it. IDK if it's the pollen, the seasons, or what but if someone is going to start sneezing, it's right around this time of year.
I just have never had a cat that did this so of course you get concerned. I am doing the best I can for him given the situation.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just have never had a cat that did this so of course you get concerned. I am doing the best I can for him given the situation.
You're doing much more than many people would. :) He's very lucky to have you watching out for him.

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You're doing much more than many people would. :) He's very lucky to have you watching out for him.
Awwww thank you, I am so trying and those words of encouragement helps me to keep pressing on thank you iPappy 💜💜💜💜

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awwww thank you, I am so trying and those words of encouragement helps me to keep pressing on thank you iPappy 💜💜💜💜
You are so welcome. :) I hope he's able to stay warm and dry during the bad weather you're expecting tomorrow!

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are so welcome. :) I hope he's able to stay warm and dry during the bad weather you're expecting tomorrow!
I will say iPappy it didn't rain a lot but we lost power for about three hours the other night. I got home and Timmy was there 💜💜. I am waiting on his antibiotics and I am hoping it will clear things up 💜💜

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, how are things?
Just a mention that a highly recommended product for healing and immune support for a different species includes L-Lysine. Hopefully its use, or the DMG helps Timmy :)