Timmy

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good evening ya"ll... I have a question truly not sure how to do this.
My dear sweet friend got my Timmy an self heating mat for his little home I have for him. I need to use the straw on it as well so he will at least get in it and lay on it.
Does anyone have any idea if I should cover it completely or just exactly what to do, feeling a bit lost on the matter and I want him to use it.
Also how do I dirty it up when it arrives so it wont smell like it just came out of the package? I was just going to rub his straw all over it and then put it in but if anyone has any ideas that would be great..

Thanks so much
Timmy's Mom

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's covered there shouldn't be too much smell. You could lay it outdoors for a while, that may air it out. With a heated pad, I just put a light blanket over it, rolled up along the sides to make it cozy. If it has a fleece cover. If not there has to be a couple of layers of thin blanket. Those cheap small fleece ones work well. straw is the best, especially if he is used to it, but many cats won't use straw. That is why I use blankets. I have heard they may get wet with wet feet, but the gentle heat from the pad will dry them, I have never found wet blankets. always check the bed at least once a week by sticking your hand in there to make sure they are working. I have never had a problem, and some of my pads are ten years old! Make sure you bring a flashlight and check the bed first, I have found opossums in there! ( I now have an extra bed for visiters, I don't want my cats to lose out) I also put several heavy blankets over the top of the 'house', pulling it down over a few days, inch by inch to partially block the doorway. It helps with drafts, but mine are set up on a table in the garage. That insulates them a little better. But we get very cold here, lots of snow (not this year!) and temps below zero. Yesterday we were 60. Unheard of this close to Christmas!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was 24 here night before last. 30 tonight so I have to get it in there tonight. Thank you for your help. I have three layers on top. And the blanket I have been inching down bit by bit too. Thanks again 💜💜

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
price053 price053 I washed my self heating mats before first use in the washer with unscented laundry detergent due to the smell of the new mat. Just follow the instructions on your product for both cleaning and drying as some don't recommend the dryer.

You can then rub the straw from his house all over the mat and maybe add a little catnip if Timmy likes the smell of it.

How much straw do you normally use in his house?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
price053 price053 I washed my self heating mats before first use in the washer with unscented laundry detergent due to the smell of the new mat. Just follow the instructions on your product for both cleaning and drying as some don't recommend the dryer.

You can then rub the straw from his house all over the mat and maybe add a little catnip if Timmy likes the smell of it.

How much straw do you normally use in his house?
Its a deep carrier so I always make sure he has an abundance of straw. That way he can push it back a insulate the back. I have decided to keep it in his straw bag over night and then in the am lay it out so he has to step on it to eat. It makes noise so I thought it best to get him use to the sound first. It's not extremely cold tonight so he will be okay. And by Saturday or Sunday the sound shouldn't scare him so bad. Thank you for responding 💜💜