Timid Cat Issue

suzan30

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First of all, I want to thank everyone for advice about integrating my two cats. As you can see from the attached photo, Charlie and Ollie love each other now. One thing that concerns me is that Charlie continues to be very timid. If I sit on the floor, he will come and be petted and rubs against me, but if I bend down to pet him from a standing position, he practically flinches and runs for cover. Sometimes even looking at him directly will send him running. Is it just his personality, or has he perhaps been abused?
unnamed-1.jpg

Winniethebullet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is exactly like this, her name is Winnie and she will only come out from under my bed at night time. If I sit down and wait she will come and rub against me but if I stand up and bend down she either runs back under the bed or backs up. Becuase Winnie is new, I'm not so worried about her and her personality yet. I'm hoping she will get used to me and my family. How old is Charlie and when did you get him? He might just be getting used the the place like Winnie. I would try to stand up and move around him untill he gets used to the idea of feet and knows you won't hurt him!
Hopefully I helped,
Winniethebullet

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

suzan30

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for responding. Charlie is about one year old and I have had him two months. I was told that he came from a cat hoarding situation and that while he was fed he was only minimally socialized. He seems to really like my other cat and they cuddle, groom each other, and play fight, but he is very shy around me and my daughter.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rocket was feral, not socialized until 4 months, and she does the exact same thing. For the first year I could only pet her from a sitting/kneeling position and only with one hand. Also, eye contact was a little iffy for a while but I pushed that boundary with her but no one else can look directly at her. Standing was a no go until about 6 months ago. In just the last 3 months I can pet her with two hands. I've had her for a little over 2 years now. With me, she is nearly normal a good chunk of the time, with my Mom its about 50/50, my Dad and brother can sit her if sitting only with one hand. Although shes recently gotten more comfortable with my brother for some very odd reason.

The whole point is that just give him time. Try to push the boundaries ever so slightly every now and then and if he accepts it do it more often. We are talking a scale of years but I have hope that eventually he will be more comfortable. We half joke in my house that next year my Dad will be able to pet Rocket without him sitting in his specific chair.

Winniethebullet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for responding. Charlie is about one year old and I have had him two months. I was told that he came from a cat hoarding situation and that while he was fed he was only minimally socialized. He seems to really like my other cat and they cuddle, groom each other, and play fight, but he is very shy around me and my daughter.
I would also add little hiding spots but make sure you can get to them easily. The bed isnt the greatest thing for me and Winnie yet she is out now playing. I would just keep doing what you are doing. Hopefully Charlie learns to love you and your daughter!