Timeline For Introductions

canopener

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an adult cat to whom I am introducing a new kitten. I’m using the crate method—keeping her in a “playpen” so Ciaran still has access to all the rooms in his house—and initial observations are promising. They are curious about each other and seem relatively calm with occasional hissing. Ciaran has even showed interest in playing with her.
I was planning to continue with this phase for at least a week, but if things keep going well they may be ready sooner. I don’t want to rush them but I also don’t want to confine the kitten longer than necessary. Thoughts?

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you allowed the kitten out while you're there to supervise? Just some furloughs from kitty jail to see how they get along as long as you're there to monitor the situation. Ciaran might take an avuncular interest in the kitten.

Just watch for aggressive grooming. My nine month old kitten kept grooming my niece's older, much more timid/submissive cat when he came to stay with us temporarily and I discovered that it's a dominance thing between cats. Dominant cats groom subordinates--as long as it's gentle, it's a sign of affection/acceptance/community but if it's too aggressive, it's basically feline bullying according to the articles I read.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its often not too hard with a kitten, at least if the resident is younger or active/playful. Not sure how old Ciaran is, but sounds good so far, and definitely don't think you need a week. You may be ready to move to a supervised visit now, especially if Ciaran is 2 or younger.

Maybe control the location of the initial meet and greet so the kitten doesn't hide somewhere dicey like under an appliance...it is not always the older cat that is the issue (although that tends to be the harder issue), sometimes kittens get shy/scared and look to retreat/hide.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

canopener

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, right now they're both out in my office while I'm finishing some work. Occasionally tentatively approaching each other, but mostly the kitten is running around and Ciaran is watching.
Timeline For Introductions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

canopener

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:
Kismet (the kitten) is staying in the crate while I’m at work and at night. Ciaran seems relatively relaxed but there are some changes in how he relates to me. He’s usually a determined lap cat and prefers sleeping on the bed, but since Monday night he’s been more standoffish. He hasn’t demanded to get up on my lap and has been sleeping next to rather than on the bed. He’s still receptive to affection, but in a less interactive way. Not sure if this means we need to back track a bit with the introduction. Or it’s only been two days since they they started interacting “in person” without a barrier between them and I’m overthinking?