Time To Say Goodbye Or Not Yet?

silver11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat still not responding to medication and the vet did gave him marboflaxocin for 2 days now no improve the cat barley walk but he can still eat and drink ! he's about 10 years old . the vet said he has Lung inflammation the other one said his kidneys are weak I'm not sure what's wrong with my cat and the vet is not that good too . Im really thinking to put him on rest but since he is eating and moving little bit I feel it's not the right to shut him down

help please.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. Its not a nice place to be when you are having to consider this.

Having said this though, what tests did the vets do that made them come to the conclusion of lung inflammation and/or weak kidneys?
Which one prescribed the antibiotics?
Did they recommend anything for kidney treatment?
Can you go see a different vet?
How long has you're kitty been sick and what has been tried already?

If kitty has inflammation in his lungs, there are medications that can help with "kitty asthma" if that is the issue.
We had a cat with kidney disease and he lived many more good quality years after diagnosis with just a change in diet and subQ fluids.

I personally would not go down that route just yet, simply because I don't even know what is wrong. The fact that kitty is still eating and drinking on his own shows me that he's not given up. I can't really tell you what you should do, but I know I would at least try to find out what is going on before I made any decisions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silver11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
can you get a second opinion from another vet?

btw, HD has had kidney disease for years and he's still with us at 20 years old.
I went to 3 vet and they said mixed answer one of them said give him b12 and calcium injection .

the cat is alive yes but it's bad life hes grabbing himself and in bad condition I will be there for him for more time hoping he respond to medication .

god bless you and hd.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
B12 made a tremendous difference for HK. he was wobbly and couldn't stand finally, had other symptoms. turned out to be a B12 deficiency. now we give him a B12 shot about every 5 days.

recently he was wobbly again, and it turned out he's developed a potassium deficiency, as well. we now give him a potassium supplement twice a day - it smells like fish, which is in the ingredients, and he loves it with a little cat food fish juice mixed in.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure he had a steroid injection too, that can work wonders!
I'm so sorry, it's just so hard to stand by and watch this. If he is eating and drinking, i wouldn't gfive up just yet, when they stop it is really the end. I'll pray for that sweet boy, and for youy to find strength......

SpottyKitti

Master KitKat- Spotty
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat still not responding to medication and the vet did gave him marboflaxocin for 2 days now no improve the cat barley walk but he can still eat and drink ! he's about 10 years old . the vet said he has Lung inflammation the other one said his kidneys are weak I'm not sure what's wrong with my cat and the vet is not that good too . Im really thinking to put him on rest but since he is eating and moving little bit I feel it's not the right to shut him down

help please.
I'm sorry you're dealing with this, i'll try to find out for you. If you can update us and tell us if your cat is okay from time to time?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the above members that you need more input from your vet(s) and they should all be on the same page as to not confuse you. Write down specific questions ahead of time so you don't forget what you would like to ask them.

There is an Article about when is it time to make the difficult decision and it lists the five main criteria for euthanasia:
When Is It Time? - Making The Difficult Decision

Although I am not in your shoes from what you have described it does not sound like your cat fits most of the criteria. I would suggest speaking with your vet about your concerns and mentioning some of the questions other members have brought up or else get a second opinion from another vet for you own peace of mind.

Sending special thoughts to both your cat and you. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

silver11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
B12 made a tremendous difference for HK. he was wobbly and couldn't stand finally, had other symptoms. turned out to be a B12 deficiency. now we give him a B12 shot about every 5 days.

recently he was wobbly again, and it turned out he's developed a potassium deficiency, as well. we now give him a potassium supplement twice a day - it smells like fish, which is in the ingredients, and he loves it with a little cat food fish juice mixed in.
I will ask him for b12 injection potossium too . hopefully he becomes fine .

silver11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Make sure he had a steroid injection too, that can work wonders!
I'm so sorry, it's just so hard to stand by and watch this. If he is eating and drinking, i wouldn't gfive up just yet, when they stop it is really the end. I'll pray for that sweet boy, and for youy to find strength......
thank you for the support as long as he's eating we will fight .

silver11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with the above members that you need more input from your vet(s) and they should all be on the same page as to not confuse you. Write down specific questions ahead of time so you don't forget what you would like to ask them.

There is an Article about when is it time to make the difficult decision and it lists the five main criteria for euthanasia:
When Is It Time? - Making The Difficult Decision

Although I am not in your shoes from what you have described it does not sound like your cat fits most of the criteria. I would suggest speaking with your vet about your concerns and mentioning some of the questions other members have brought up or else get a second opinion from another vet for you own peace of mind.

Sending special thoughts to both your cat and you. :vibes::vibes::vibes:
I don't know what's wrong with the vets they don't say 1 word they said 3 different things

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am confused, what diagnosis did they give you? I am reading symptom after symptom, but have not ready a diagnosis. If neither one of the vet offices you have taken her to be seen gave you a diagnosis, how about seeing a third vet? Please forgive me if I missed that part. "Lung inflammation and weak kidneys are not a diagnosis, just symptoms. Please straighten me out. What exactly are you dealing with here? Cancer, FIP, FEV, just throwing out things but that is what I am looking for. Thanks

silver11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am confused, what diagnosis did they give you? I am reading symptom after symptom, but have not ready a diagnosis. If neither one of the vet offices you have taken her to be seen gave you a diagnosis, how about seeing a third vet? Please forgive me if I missed that part. "Lung inflammation and weak kidneys are not a diagnosis, just symptoms. Please straighten me out. What exactly are you dealing with here? Cancer, FIP, FEV, just throwing out things but that is what I am looking for. Thanks
they saw him then put him on table then touched his organs saw his nose discharge that's all.

there's no way exact way to diagnose the disease in third world countries same for human too there's no clear process . you will be lucky if you find good human doc . good vet is not available. I lost another cat years ago .

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
there's no way exact way to diagnose the disease in third world countries same for human too there's no clear process . you will be lucky if you find good human doc . good vet is not available.
I'm so sorry, I don't think we realized you live in a 3rd world country. Perhaps you could tell us what country you're from so that if any members are from the same area they could help or offer more advice/support.

Please know that we are thinking of your cat and you. :hugs:

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will ask him for b12 injection potossium too . hopefully he becomes fine .
the B12 is the injectable; the potassium comes in a fish-flavored powder called "feline renal K" that i mix with a little fish juice from a can of cat food, and HK loves it!

has your vet mentioned whether your cat has arthritis? that, too, can cause wobbly walking and sadness. if your cat does have arthritis, a non-prescription thing that helped HK is cosequin sprinkle caps; perhaps you can find out whether it's available where you are.

has your vet suggested sub cutaneous fluids to support your cat's kidneys? HK's kidneys improved quite a bit when we started giving him sub-qs, and some other issues improved that were caused by his kidney disease, as well.

please note that all these things may or may not help your cat a lot. for example, if your cat is low on B12, the B12 will help, but if your cat is not low on B12, it probably won't make any changes.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand silver11, bless your heart, you are doing all that can be done under the circumstances. All my best for her recovery:crossfingers:

silver11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I understand silver11, bless your heart, you are doing all that can be done under the circumstances. All my best for her recovery:crossfingers:
today his condition is worser I think tomorrow I will ask the vet rest him I was there before I know the terrible feeling but to end his suffer i must take the decision he ate little bit so I will ask the vet if it's the right thing to do or not I don't trust him but I will ask him I have no choice. I treated this cat several times in home but I feel we lost this round and I have failed.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know we can't diagnose or take the place of a vet, but I would really like to know all of your kitties symptoms. Perhaps we can help direct you to what you can mention to your vet and possibly get the right treatment.

So far, all I know is that he may have lung inflammation or kidney issues (as per vet). But in a later post you mention that he has nose discharge but has not had any diagnostic testing.
Could you please list all of his symptoms? What prompted you to bring him to the vet in the first place? I want to help you so badly, but I honestly don't even know where to begin.

silver11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know we can't diagnose or take the place of a vet, but I would really like to know all of your kitties symptoms. Perhaps we can help direct you to what you can mention to your vet and possibly get the right treatment.

So far, all I know is that he may have lung inflammation or kidney issues (as per vet). But in a later post you mention that he has nose discharge but has not had any diagnostic testing.
Could you please list all of his symptoms? What prompted you to bring him to the vet in the first place? I want to help you so badly, but I honestly don't even know where to begin.
I took him to vet because he was walking like 5 steps then fall to right or lift side but back then he was holding himself from falling he had cough and difficulty of breathing and nose discharge I took him to vet he said it's easy just see how he will be after 4 injection he gave him
gentamicin-dexemethasone-Tylosin-Chlorphenamine maleate. that's the combination he gave to the cat

after 2 injection he didn't improve he put him on marboflaxocin and his condition became worser then after 2 injection of marboflaxocin he said enough his liver may shutdown because of the amount of antibiotics rest him for a while then bring him back on Friday.

now his symptoms at the moment. he's barley grabbing himself by his hands he lost all his weight he's peeing on himself . the strange symptom is when he look above his neck and head shacking like severe weakness what surprise me he ate today!
he can't walk anymore he's just sitting and watching .

is it possible to upload video or send you video?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he still have the upper respiratory symptoms as well? (coughing, nose discharge, breathing difficulties) If so, have you been trying to soothe those symptoms by providing him with humid air to breath (turn on hot water in the shower, close the door to the bathroom to steam it up and sit in the bathroom with him so the moist air helps him breath)
I would recommend you use a nice warm wash cloth and keep him clean (clean off pee) as urine can scald the skin and make him very uncomfortable. Also make sure he stays dry, so don't soak him down too much.

Does he drink anything, even if he does not eat?
Can you check if he is dehydrated? If you pull up the loose skin around his shoulders and the skin stays pulled up, or takes a long time to smooth back down when you let go, he is dehydrated. Also if his gums feel sticky, or his upper lip sticks to the gums if you push it up, that is another way to see if there is dehydration.
I really think if he has not been eating or drinking much and because he seems to also have a URI, getting subQ fluids would help him, even though it will probably not cure him, he will be much more comfortable if he is hydrated. SubQ fluids also helps with treating kidney disease.

Did the URI symptoms start before the weakness and walking problems?
Does your kitty have a swollen belly at all?

Yes you can post a video on here. I think if you click on "upload a file" and then click on the file/video saved on your device, it should post it. I've never posted video, only pictures, so I'm not really sure it if works the same.
You can also go to the "help" section on this site and ask someone how.