Time To Put Blue Buffalo On The Special Watch List

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Blue Buffalo cat food packaging is very enticing. Makes it look like quality food. It's marketed a lot as well. I was at another Petco store the other day and a Blue Buffalo representative came up to me and gave me a whole discourse of how wonderful Blue Buffalo is. She made it seem like it was the best cat food in the world. I was even temping to grab a bag.
I hate reps. And not "the person", but just reps in general because I always feel cornered and realize they're just hired to do a job, and that job is sell food and when I decline I feel terrible.
I had a dog food rep approach me. IDK if they were giving me a line of BS or not but I flat out told them I fed raw and they said they fed gizzards, livers and hearts.
If they were being truthful, I commend them but if they were trying to reel in a customer...I appreciate your job, I appreciate the fact you're doing that job and putting food on your table but no, the answer is still no, I won't buy your food to feed my pack that would run me 10 times what I currently feed. =/
I thank them and walk away. And kind of feel like an a-hole for it.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Blue Buffalo cat food packaging is very enticing. Makes it look like quality food. It's marketed a lot as well. I was at another Petco store the other day and a Blue Buffalo representative came up to me and gave me a whole discourse of how wonderful Blue Buffalo is. She made it seem like it was the best cat food in the world. I was even temping to grab a bag.
I hate reps. And not "the person", but just reps in general because I always feel cornered and realize they're just hired to do a job, and that job is sell food and when I decline I feel terrible.
I had a dog food rep approach me. IDK if they were giving me a line of BS or not but I flat out told them I fed raw and they said they fed gizzards, livers and hearts.
If they were being truthful, I commend them but if they were trying to reel in a customer...I appreciate your job, I appreciate the fact you're doing that job and putting food on your table but no, the answer is still no, I won't buy your food to feed my pack that would run me 10 times what I currently feed. =/
I thank them and walk away. And kind of feel like an a-hole for it.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I just posted a review on chewy for the Purina Indoor Cat Chow in a fit of rage ... it’s literally the worst dry food I’ve seen and it’s rated highly.

“Corn Meal, Poultry By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Soy Flour, Animal Fat Preserved with Mixed-Tocopherols, Powdered Cellulose, Animal Liver Flavor, Soybean Hulls ...”

Animal liver flavor!? What the actual F!?

I think it should be criminal to market this stuff for cats.
This is why I keep telling people they should not buy Purina foods. Although some are better than others it is literally impossible to have a healthy cat with this stuff and similar products they make.

Even poultry byproduct meal is not meat. Where are the muscles cats need to eat in this recipe?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
It's really interesting how out of all of the pet foods out there (many of which are probably just as bad as Blue), Blue Buffalo has been getting a lot of slack lately. I think the slack is definitely deserved, but it's also interesting to note that Blue has been the biggest competitor for Hills and Royal Canin over the past few years and has directly attacked these companies. Just makes you wonder how powerful Hills and Royal Canin really are in the pet food world...

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Last year I watched a lot of Blue Buffalo TV commercials. Only one other pet food company ran commercials during the same time period where I live: Purina. Does that look familiar?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
f
It's really interesting how out of all of the pet foods out there (many of which are probably just as bad as Blue), Blue Buffalo has been getting a lot of slack lately. I think the slack is definitely deserved, but it's also interesting to note that Blue has been the biggest competitor for Hills and Royal Canin over the past few years and has directly attacked these companies. Just makes you wonder how powerful Hills and Royal Canin really are in the pet food world...
A very good point.
We do feed Purina FF classics to our non raw fed cat, and after year of raw feeding and having a cat that says "LOL Nah bruh" it made us pause (paws?)
Point is I don't like trashing pet food brands. I have little reason to do so as I don't feed them but when companies flat out lie or get involved in lawsuits it DOES make me pause. (And that goes for BB, Hills, RC, and etc...)
Pet food is a HUGE market. I understand the competitive nature of that marketing from a business standpoint but if a company (or person....oh hi, Skepvet) routinely trashes another potential competitor *by name*, I'm turned off. First rule of business is don't trash your competitor by name.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
What lies was Blue Buffalo accused of telling that were any different from lies told by other companies?

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Even with all this competition, the pet food prices are still very high.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok: full disclosure Trin and Gohan ate the Purina Cat Chow for a year or so before I knew to read pet food labels. That’s why I was so angry. It was before I knew about what a cat should eat and I was shocked when Trin got more energetic when he at meat-based kibble.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:running:
We would have to take out a second mortgage...
:p It's not always that expensive, though! I just found a receipt where the small cans went for $1.61. Our cats love it, so I buy it for once every week or two. Feline Natural's freeze-dried raw food has really shot up in price... unfortunately, it's our pickier cat's favorite garnish. That's fortunate, too, though, since at least it's great food!

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Someone at this site should post the most cost effective way to feed our cats. Foods that are quality and tricks in how to save money on it.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
That’s a good idea, but I think that there are so many local stores, and it sounds like that’s where the deals are.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
f

A very good point.
We do feed Purina FF classics to our non raw fed cat, and after year of raw feeding and having a cat that says "LOL Nah bruh" it made us pause (paws?)
Point is I don't like trashing pet food brands. I have little reason to do so as I don't feed them but when companies flat out lie or get involved in lawsuits it DOES make me pause. (And that goes for BB, Hills, RC, and etc...)
Pet food is a HUGE market. I understand the competitive nature of that marketing from a business standpoint but if a company (or person....oh hi, Skepvet) routinely trashes another potential competitor *by name*, I'm turned off. First rule of business is don't trash your competitor by name.
I guarantee you that’s Hills and Royal Canin are so powerful that they are probably behind many of the attacks on Blue, and are also probably related to the recent surge in the FDA testing raw pet foods, and the recent report by the FDA that based on a minimal number of cases peas in dog food causes heart disease. Why do we never hear anything negative about Hills and Royal Canin? It’s definitely not because they are perfect foods.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And of course cats can be so horribly picky that what works for one cat (even in the same *#!@* household!) doesn't always work for another. And then they change their minds!
Or one is like "Guess what, LOL, I'm now allergic to this stuff."
The nice ones just walk off leaving the food behind.
Mine use their front foot, yell "TAKE IT AWAY" and fling it a full 10 feet across the room...

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Someone at this site should post the most cost effective way to feed our cats. Foods that are quality and tricks in how to save money on it.
I can't count the times I suggested subscribing for a 15% discount if the cat loves one food and hates everything else. It also works for prescription diets on Chewy. But if your cat is not a picky eater, I also would like a cost effectiveness chart.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
I do have a chart of cat foods I’ve tried, which furball liked it and where I autoship from. I also try and estimate how much it would cost to feed Olive that food for a month, and I add in the nutritional info. I’ve everyone is nice I can clean that up and post it. :)

But it doesn’t include regular stores and it would only be good for the US, and some only ship to the West Coast. But it could be useful.

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is Blue really so bad? Aslan gets the kitten variety kibble and he scarfs it down. And he hates kibble. He would take ages to eat Royal Canin.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Healthy Growth with LifeBits. My mom bought me a big bag for my last kitten and I still have it. He gets it rarely, if I'm going to be away overnight and need to leave him food, but he does like it...hope it's not too bad.