Time to get kitty behaving better!

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is 6 1/2 years old (neutered male).  He lives in a house with two adults and two children (10 and 12).  For the most part, he is ok cat.  He loves me best, tolerates my husband and loves my youngest daughter as well.  He does show affection.

Here is the problem and has always been the problem.  He is "food aggressive".  What I mean by that is -- when he was younger, we got in the habit of giving him treats.  He pretty much begged for them all day long by staring at the drawer they are in.   He then became nasty when you ignored him by attacking your legs.   I stopped with the treats a long time ago but this aggression has never stopped.  Yesterday, he had no dry food because I was washing his bowls; he took a swipe at me and left a puncture wound! 

When he swipes, he always starts out by rubbing your legs for a while then bamm!!!   He does this to my 81 year old mother because he knows she was always good for spoiling with treats when she comes over. 

I need to fix this problem because no one wants to watch him when we go out of town.  One thing I was considering was increasing his wet food (twice a day) -- the vet actually told me to eliminate dry because he is over-weight but I have never done that.  Maybe if I "fill him up more" morning and night he will be more satisfied?  He definately prefers wet food and eats the dry only because he knows that is all he is getting during the day.

PS:  I only give him treats now to occupy him when I trimming his nails.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

physicsgal981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Many years ago, I had a food aggressive cat. Luckily for me his aggression was directed towards other cats and not me.

I treated him like I would a dog with food aggression and it worked. First, I was the controller of the food. So no free feeding at all. Second, I taught him some basic commands - sit, down, come and if he wanted dinner, he had to go to his feeding spot and sit nicely to be feed. If he was mean to anyone - I just walked away.

And I recommend wet food over dry for overweight cats. Wet food has more protein while dry tends to have more carbs.

Good luck.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many years ago, I had a food aggressive cat. Luckily for me his aggression was directed towards other cats and not me.
I treated him like I would a dog with food aggression and it worked. First, I was the controller of the food. So no free feeding at all. Second, I taught him some basic commands - sit, down, come and if he wanted dinner, he had to go to his feeding spot and sit nicely to be feed. If he was mean to anyone - I just walked away.
And I recommend wet food over dry for overweight cats. Wet food has more protein while dry tends to have more carbs.
Good luck.
That sounds like great advice, and yes, I think maybe you should feed twice a day instead of once. It sounds like it may help, if he knows he will get more food later. Then maybe he will
  Sense he is overweight, you will have to just divide what he is allowed a day, instead of adding more.

Good luck, I hope it works! Keep us posted.