Tiki Cat Ca:P

Ash's_Devoted_Owner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I am new to this site, but I have looked EVERYWHERE trying to find the Tiki Cat After Dark Ca P ratios, and would greatly appreciate it if someone could provide me with that information. I recently switched my cat to that food (ever since they removed menadione sodium bisulfite complex) and would like to know if I am straining my cat's kidneys. Your help is greatly appreciated! :)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to the site!

I don't think it exists anywhere. I found where someone else asked and they hedged around the answer.I imagine you found that yourself, but this is what they said:

The Ca P :Mg ratio refers to the Calcium to Phosphorus to Magnesium ratio. Since our diets are not prescription diets, we recommend consulting in your vet before adding our food into your cats meals! Please feel free to email us at [email protected] if you need any nutritional information!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ash's_Devoted_Owner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:sigh: Yeah... I saw that... I was hoping that I might have better luck... possibly from someone who had contacted the company... I guess I’ll either need to do it myself or find a company that is more forthcoming about nutritional information. I understand that they aren’t prescription diets, but people want to know that they’re feeding their cats the best, you know?

CritterCarer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wrote to Tiki Cat directly to get their levels. This was what they sent me:

33B35E70-6C71-4153-819A-BABCAC037504.jpeg

Ash's_Devoted_Owner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wrote to Tiki Cat directly to get their levels. This was what they sent me:

View attachment 391060
Thank you so much! This makes it SO much easier! The ratios are better than what I had expected. I might need to give my cat some goat's milk occasionally for a calcium boost though. I do have to ask when you requested this information, since I am aware that they recently changed their recipe.

CritterCarer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just last week, Aug 7, 2021. I believe the After Dark line was in replacement of their Gourmet Carnivore line.

Ash's_Devoted_Owner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just last week, Aug 7, 2021. I believe the After Dark line was in replacement of their Gourmet Carnivore line.
Aha, that's perfect! I really cannot thank you enough. I had started feeding it to my cat two weeks ago after he had stopped eating his normal food due to environmental stress. Two months prior when I had realized the evils of a high carb diet for cats I came across Tiki Cat After Dark and balked when I read the dreaded "Vitamin K3 Supplement." When I visited a local natural pet store I noticed the packaging had changed along with the recipe (no more menadione!). I instantly grabbed some cans, and my cat LOVED it and regained his appetite! It just recently occurred to me that the ca p ratio might have been off, which is why I started this thread, so I really appreciate your reply!

CritterCarer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aha, that's perfect! I really cannot thank you enough. I had started feeding it to my cat two weeks ago after he had stopped eating his normal food due to environmental stress. Two months prior when I had realized the evils of a high carb diet for cats I came across Tiki Cat After Dark and balked when I read the dreaded "Vitamin K3 Supplement." When I visited a local natural pet store I noticed the packaging had changed along with the recipe (no more menadione!). I instantly grabbed some cans, and my cat LOVED it and regained his appetite! It just recently occurred to me that the ca p ratio might have been off, which is why I started this thread, so I really appreciate your reply!
I am really glad it was helpful for you!

I had asked for the information because my oldest fur baby (9) has struvite crystals and we just got a new kitten. Of course they are doing the food swap steal, so I was looking for a replacement for my olders (dreaded) Royal Canin SO. Something they can both eat that would fulfill the low Ca/Phos/Mag requirements but still have enough protein for my little grower. ;)

Ash's_Devoted_Owner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am really glad it was helpful for you!

I had asked for the information because my oldest fur baby (9) has struvite crystals and we just got a new kitten. Of course they are doing the food swap steal, so I was looking for a replacement for my olders (dreaded) Royal Canin SO. Something they can both eat that would fulfill the low Ca/Phos/Mag requirements but still have enough protein for my little grower. ;)
I used to feed Royal Canin. The nutrition isn't that bad, but why add so many synthetic supplements when you can get the same nutrition from a more bioavailable source like meat? And you fed the Urinary SO? Oh my, I've read so many horrible things about that one. It's a wonder they haven't recalled it yet.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh em gee! Can this be a replacement for Royal Canin SO wet food?? Is it nutritionally complete? I didn't realize there were other foods available that are also so low in phosphorous. :eek3:

CritterCarer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi again! These 2 links have worked as a research tool for me as I sea for my replacement of my cats prescription SO or CD diet. My criteria were moderate protein 35-45% (meat based), Ca 1.0% or less, Phos 0.8% (dry) 0.3% (wet) or less and Mg 0.1% or less

http://felinecrf.org/dry_food_usa.htm —— this one is mostly dry foods (you might need to copy and paste this link)

https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf — this one is wets only

Hope this helps you all in your search as well. I finally decided on Fussie Cat Market Fresh either, Chicken & Turkey or Salmon & Chicken for my dry option, both have at least 35% protein, 1.0% Ca, Phos 0.8%, Mg 1.0%. They also sell 2# bags to try their flavors. I need a dry option as I have a 14# boy who won’t eat his wets after the first pass, once it starts to dry out he turns his tail and wants new! And I can’t feed him but 2xs a day. So he gets wets in the am and in the pm, but needs a dry option during the day as he won’t eat his wet after that first pass! I also need an option that the new baby girl (6 months) can eat also as my boy likes to steal her food which is of course high in all he things he can’t have! They both like the Tiki Cat After Dark, so I will probably stick with that.