Tiger Biting

swamplady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tiger is a very sweet kitty 95% of the time. However if I am working in the kitchen or doing something other than holding and hugging him when HE wants it I get bit. He rubs against my legs like cats do and then out of nowhere he bites. At first it did not hurt. Now he is getting harder. To hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like Tiger wants attention and he wants it NOW!   Time for Tiger to learn patience and manners!  
  When he bites you, say "ouch" loudly or give him a stern "Hissss."   He knows what a hiss means - it means "back off."  You can also startle him with a loud noise - try shaking a can with some coins or dried beans in it or spurting a burst of canned air.   You can also try banishing him temporarily but hopefully one of the actions above should take care of the problem.  It might take him awhile, but he should eventually get the message.  

Check out the following for more ideas and info:
[article="32493"]The Dos And Donts Of Cat Behavior Modification  [/article]
http://www.thecatsite.com/t/313815/help-with-biting

Good luck!  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swamplady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The can idea might work 
Tiger was abandoned because he has very low hearing. I FINALLY found his original owner. I had placed his picture on facebook with medical info about him. A 14 year old boy contacted me to let me know Tiger was his cat. His mom made him put it outside because the vet said the cat was deaf. She said there was no way to train him. Well he hears some. I shake a plastic container with food in it making a loud noise and he comes running to eat. I am shaking my finger back and forth to teach him no. We are coming up with hand signals. I just could not figure how to make him stop biting. I have to wait till after the third next month to by an air can. Thank-you for the idea.

Tiger's original name was Tigger. 

lovemyzeus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awe! I love that you are using hand signal for Tiger 
 My Zeus likes to bite too (he is 8 months old) and he bites hard, I have tried different things - I like the "can of coins" idea. I am hoping he will grow out of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swamplady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Awe! I love that you are using hand signal for Tiger 
 My Zeus likes to bite too (he is 8 months old) and he bites hard, I have tried different things - I like the "can of coins" idea. I am hoping he will grow out of it.
 Hope he does too grow out of it...