Tidy Cats Breeze System and Pine Pellets

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I *finally* transitioned Evie, Emerson, and Dexter to kiln-dried pine pellet litter! :yess:

Now to find a suitable box. We have two sifting litterboxes that work, but we have had to rig it up to where there is space for the sawdust to fall into the lower pan. Dexter is also an aggressive digger and slings pellets out like nobody's business, so I'm looking for something with walls or a hood. That being said, I'll take the pellets over the litter any day!

I was looking at the Tidy Cats Breeze system but using Tractor Supply wood pellets instead of their proprietary pellets. For those with a Breeze, how much space is between the top pan and the bottom pan? I'm worried about sawdust accumulation. If someone has a Breeze XL, I would love to hear your input as well!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on transitioning your cats! I'd love to use pine pellets but like you, I've never been clear on what box to use. I have an absolutely ginormous Stearlite container that has at least fifty pounds of litter in it at all times. lt's so easy to just scoop and refill. To my mind, pine pellets aren't really conducive to the (lazy) type of box maintenance I'm used to. Every two or three months I'll let the litter dwindle down and then empty it all out and give the container a good scrub.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
We made a DIY one from a YouTube video but it doesn't sift very well. I'm afraid to make the holes too much bigger.

Elemteacherjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use the regular size breeze system. The drawer is really no good for "catching" the sawdust unless you want to empty it all the time. I ended up taking the drawer out, and putting it on top of a large litter pan (I think it's the "Petmate Large." Since it doesn't fit inside perfectly, it leaves plenty of space. I usually put some pellets in the bottom of the lower pan in case urine runs through before being soaked up. I scoop the poo and stir the pellets daily, and the sawdust falls through. About once a week I'll empty the sawdust from the bottom pan and add another thin layer to the lower pan. I refresh the pellets entirely about once a month. It's SO easy!

My only concern with using the pine pellets is monitoring urination - i.e. noticing if he's peeing a lot more, a lot less, etc. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been using the all pine litter box(which is made for pine pellets) since I started with the pellets. All Pine Litter Box It Works Great ! Check out the website to see how it has these little stabilizing posts that support the top pan. The hole are the right size because it’s made for pellets. I had read so many posts of people trying to use sifting boxes made for regular litter and homemade boxes both seemed to not function well. So since this company made a box that has the right size holes, right distance between top and bottom box I just bought it. The plastic is high grade and it makes using pine pellets easy. They tell you to put a couple scoops of pellets in the bottom tray just like one of you said.. It makes a big difference! They only make one size however. Which is maybe a tad bigger than regular boxes. I hear what your saying about wanting a larger box So if your a good do it your selfer I think if you had one of these boxes (could use it somewhere right) to use as a template for the holes it would be easier. The little supports which would be needed even more with a bigger box (so it won’t sag down while cat is using ) would take some thought. But I bet it could be done. All I have to do is scoop the poop, stir or lift and shake the top box for pee , add a scoop of pellets as needed.Sawdust pan needs to be dumped and washed once a week (for my 2 cats) Since the pellets are so cheep I dump and wash the top box at the same time. Very easy system

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been using the all pine litter box(which is made for pine pellets) since I started with the pellets. All Pine Litter Box It Works Great ! Check out the website to see how it has these little stabilizing posts that support the top pan. The hole are the right size because it’s made for pellets. I had read so many posts of people trying to use sifting boxes made for regular litter and homemade boxes both seemed to not function well. So since this company made a box that has the right size holes, right distance between top and bottom box I just bought it. The plastic is high grade and it makes using pine pellets easy. They tell you to put a couple scoops of pellets in the bottom tray just like one of you said.. It makes a big difference! They only make one size however. Which is maybe a tad bigger than regular boxes. I hear what your saying about wanting a larger box So if your a good do it your selfer I think if you had one of these boxes (could use it somewhere right) to use as a template for the holes it would be easier. The little supports which would be needed even more with a bigger box (so it won’t sag down while cat is using ) would take some thought. But I bet it could be done. All I have to do is scoop the poop, stir or lift and shake the top box for pee , add a scoop of pellets as needed.Sawdust pan needs to be dumped and washed once a week (for my 2 cats) Since the pellets are so cheep I dump and wash the top box at the same time. Very easy system
Will this box be big enough for a 10 pond cat?