Tick removal

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

What is the best tool for removing a tick? When it comes to ticks on a human, many say that twisting is not good, because it can embed the tick deeper or squeeze the tick accidentally, therefore pushing more bacteria into the body. So, for people, a pair of sharp-pointed tweezers is what's best. But can this kind of tool be dangerous to cats: meaning, is it harder to use tweezers accurately because the cat's fur may get in the way of a clean removal, and there might be the danger of cutting the cat's skin by accident?

Also, won't the use of a tick comb also end up squeezing the tick, instead of removing it?

Thanks for any advice that you have.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most of the time I'll use my fingers, but for really small ticks that's not an option because I don't often have long nails. So I will use tweezers - not sharp pointed, either ones that have the dulled rounded edge or the ones that have the squared off edge. Get as close to the base of the tick as you can and pull straight out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I know that it's not good to twist a tick out of a human body - it has to be pulled out, straight up, without twisting. Wouldn't it also not be advisable to twist it out of a cat's body?