Thunderstorms

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Chaos is recently terrified of thunderstorms or even the rain. He wasn’t as a kitten but I went on a vacation with my family a few months back and it rained. I think he’s terrified because I wasn’t there. I’m now trying to find ways to help him because I’m about to go back to school and we all know it’ll be raining in the spring. He gets so terrified that he tears up the carpet under my bedroom door, which will eventually get him kicked out.
any suggestions on how to help him overcome his fear of rain/thunder?

SirenSong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could you play rain sounds/thunderstorm sounds quietly with your phone or on a speaker? You can stay in the room, pet him and reassure him that the noises aren't going to hurt him. Offer treats or play time while you're playing those sounds then gradually increase the noise level ...?

I'm definitely not a cat expert, but that's how I would think to approach that kind of fear response ...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can also try to 'train' him to retreat to a special hide-out during rain and thunderstorms. Set up a covered box and place some of his favorite things in it, pet him and move him into the box when it starts raining or thundering. Then, sit outside and gently talk to him until he settles down. There are noise-isolating blankets that could be used to cover his hide-out that would help to block out some of the noise coming from the rain or thunder.

Feeby (15+ yo) has always wanted to hide during thunder or heavy rains - so, while I didn't 'teach' her to do it, I let her run to her hide out and don't interfere with her. Some things you just can't change and are better off finding a way to help out the cat with their goal if that makes them feel better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve never even thought about doing that! That may help out a lot because here recently in Louisiana we’ve been getting A LOT of thunderstorms/hurricanes/tornadoes so I want him to stay calm during them so I have to wake up at 2am yelling at him.

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will definitely check out the noise isolation blankets. He likes to hide out in my closet, because it’s far away from my window. So I will find him a spot in the closet so he can hide in there. I hate having my door open at night, it freaks me out.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he locked in your room or is he trying to get in? In either case, leaving the door open so he can find the hiding place he feels safest in is the easiest way to prevent damage.

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He’s trying to get out. He stays in my room with me because my step mom doesn’t like cats. She doesn’t let them roam unless I’m home.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Living all alone in a single room while you are away at school is going to be very stressful for him, thunderstorms or not.

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well he has his sister in here also and she does perfectly fine.