thunderease cat calming spray caused cats not to sleep in their crates?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say to just take the bedding out, wash it if you want to, then just let everything air out for a while.

Cats can be fickle about where they sleep and hang out. They might love to hang out in one place for a while but will suddenly move to a new favorite place for no apparent reason. After sleeping in different places, they might, eventually, come back to sleeping in the crates.

Cats just seem to have a cycle.

As far as thunderstorm remedies, I usually don't bother.

Cats take their cues from other cats and people around them. If one or more individuals show signs of fear or anxiety, the others will pick up on it. It happens very subtly.

If you, the human, who are "chief" of the house, show anxiety due to thunder, the cats will pick up on it and think that THEY should be afraid, too. If you are calm, they cats will be, too. Pheromone sprays might increase the calming effect in extreme circumstances but the main effect comes from your behavior, not the spray.

Our cat, Casper, has never really been afraid of storms. He doesn't like them but he doesn't get scared. More like annoyed.
I can't blame him. Cats have sensitive ears. What sounds like a gentle "pitter-pat" of rain on the roof to a human might sound like a million golf balls to a cat! I certainly expect Casper to be irritated by that! But, no, it doesn't scare him.

Recently, there was a big storm where I live. It was a good "window rattler!" ;)
Casper's Girl-Human got worried and ran around, shutting all the windows, pulling all the curtains shut and fussing about the house like a mad woman because she was afraid that Casper would be upset. Right on cue! Casper got afraid and started acting all hinky.

I said, "Honey, Casper's never been afraid of storms until today!" I tried to explain that SHE was upsetting the cat more than the storm.
It took me a half-hour to get her calmed down then another half-hour to quiet the cat!

A couple days later we had another storm, not quite as loud as the first. I told Casper's Girl-Human to JUST shut the bottom halves of the windows and leave the tops down by six inches. That way we can get the nice, cool air but the rain won't blow in.
She did that then we turned on the TV and chilled out. So did the cat! He has this place where he likes to "pseudo-hide," under the end table next to the sofa. His main "hidey hole" is under the bed. He goes under the table when he wants to be out of the way but not full-blown hiding. Cats often hang out in partially hidden places, anyhow. Right?

So, yeah! Casper hung out with us until the rain was over just like nothing was ever wrong.

It's pretty clear that Casper took his cues from his humans.

I bet, if you do the same, your cats will be a lot calmer during storms, too. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say to just take the bedding out, wash it if you want to, then just let everything air out for a while.

Cats can be fickle about where they sleep and hang out. They might love to hang out in one place for a while but will suddenly move to a new favorite place for no apparent reason. After sleeping in different places, they might, eventually, come back to sleeping in the crates.

Cats just seem to have a cycle.

As far as thunderstorm remedies, I usually don't bother.

Cats take their cues from other cats and people around them. If one or more individuals show signs of fear or anxiety, the others will pick up on it. It happens very subtly.

If you, the human, who are "chief" of the house, show anxiety due to thunder, the cats will pick up on it and think that THEY should be afraid, too. If you are calm, they cats will be, too. Pheromone sprays might increase the calming effect in extreme circumstances but the main effect comes from your behavior, not the spray.

Our cat, Casper, has never really been afraid of storms. He doesn't like them but he doesn't get scared. More like annoyed.
I can't blame him. Cats have sensitive ears. What sounds like a gentle "pitter-pat" of rain on the roof to a human might sound like a million golf balls to a cat! I certainly expect Casper to be irritated by that! But, no, it doesn't scare him.

Recently, there was a big storm where I live. It was a good "window rattler!" ;)
Casper's Girl-Human got worried and ran around, shutting all the windows, pulling all the curtains shut and fussing about the house like a mad woman because she was afraid that Casper would be upset. Right on cue! Casper got afraid and started acting all hinky.

I said, "Honey, Casper's never been afraid of storms until today!" I tried to explain that SHE was upsetting the cat more than the storm.
It took me a half-hour to get her calmed down then another half-hour to quiet the cat!

A couple days later we had another storm, not quite as loud as the first. I told Casper's Girl-Human to JUST shut the bottom halves of the windows and leave the tops down by six inches. That way we can get the nice, cool air but the rain won't blow in.
She did that then we turned on the TV and chilled out. So did the cat! He has this place where he likes to "pseudo-hide," under the end table next to the sofa. His main "hidey hole" is under the bed. He goes under the table when he wants to be out of the way but not full-blown hiding. Cats often hang out in partially hidden places, anyhow. Right?

So, yeah! Casper hung out with us until the rain was over just like nothing was ever wrong.

It's pretty clear that Casper took his cues from his humans.

I bet, if you do the same, your cats will be a lot calmer during storms, too. :)
on the box, it says great for marking, scratching, vet, crating, traveling, moving, new pets. so it isn't only for storms. i don't know if i was clear what i was using it for? i'm using it for the vet, and the car ride. also i put their beds on my bed, and found daisy sleeping on one of them. my cats already pretty calm during the storms.
i only sprayed it to see how they would react to it, as i didn't want to spray it and wait 20-30 minutes for it to dry and introduce them to the crate and put them in the car, as far i know, it might cause them to be aggressive. so i wanted to be sure. it didn't seem to affect their temperament, i'd assume that because they're pretty calm cats for the most part, other than it may have caused them not to sleep in the crates no more.

Last edited:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm aware of that, nothing is a magic bullet. plus i will be giving them calming treats on the day of the vet, probably 20 minutes before the car ride.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just took Casper to the vet, this week. We scooped him up, put him in his carrier and he was in the back of the car before he even knew what hit him! ;)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are bringing kids along, you can let them learn "tiger & lion training" by enlisting their help with your cats. They can calmly reassure the cats that they are there to keep kitties safe and they can share their doctor visit experiences with the the cats. You can ask the kids to also share about what it's like to go to the pharmacy, getting a new teacher, meeting a new student, etc. In my experience, kids love sharing & teaching kitties while they themselves establish the skills to understand & work with cats and other animals, especially horses who have a symbiotic connection with cats.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so the cats did fine, not much fuss. the vet is happy, sees nothing wrong, other than little tarter on gray's teeth, but nothing major.

if i decide to collect fecal samples, the vet wants it be less 12 hours old. i'm thinking locking one cat in my room for few hours, and wait for a sample, and do the same with the other two, but she also stress that its fine if i don't know which came from which, but at least try.

now i'm waiting for the blood results, and the FELV, FIV, and heartworm to come back neg for each, she says it could be like a week or so

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
like Tucker was meowing on the way there, but at the vet office, the vet let all 3 out, tucker seem pretty relax, he went under the chair, but his body posture seem pretty relaxed. Daisy tried to explore, but i think she was looking for a place a hide or feel safe, or a way out. she also gave them little hassle when getting blood, but nothing major. she wasn't aggressive, just gave them a little wiggle, as if she trying to escape. Gray, it took him a few minutes to come out, but he did. overall,it went great and the car ride was more stressful for them than the vet was

when we got home, they were very happy and please to be home. my cats tend to forgive and forget things as if nothing ever happened.

Last edited: