thunderease cat calming spray caused cats not to sleep in their crates?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so i'm taking my cats to the vet tomorrow, bought the crates out over a week ago. they've been sleeping in them up to the day i sprayed the crates with the calming spray to see how they will react, and now they seem to refuse to sleep in them. have anyone have this problem? is this a sign that i shouldn't use the spray tomorrow?

i'd gotten feliway but it would gotten here too late. i also forgot about the pheromone calming sprays until recently

this is what i used

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't forget that the carrier/solvent used in Feliway products is alcohol.

Your cats probably don't like the smell of the alcohol. You need to give enough time for the alcohol to evaporate before letting cats into their crates.

Further, I suggest putting the preparation only on the outside of the crate. If you are spraying Feliway inside the crate any smells will be concentrated in a closed space. The smell might become overpowering.

I suggest to stop putting Feliway on their crates for several days to see if they come back after the crates air out.

Consider the stuff like perfume. A little bit is good. A lot is overpowering.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn't use the spray. Not all of these calming products work on all cats, and some even had 'reverse' effects. But the curious thing is that they now don't want in the crates, so that could pose a problem unto itself. If they like cat nip, you could try to place some inside the crates to 'offset' the spray. If not that, you could try to place some blankets/towels with their scent on them inside the crates as another option to offset the spray.

Do you know if they even need to have a calming product for a vet visit?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something like Feliway should be unsmellable to most or all humans, just as we don't smell the pheromones our cats use to mark us. So, can you smell what you sprayed on the cat carriers? If so, you put too much on them. Perhaps you can use a damp sponge to remove it?

Beyond that, I'd say that Caspers Human Caspers Human and FeebysOwner FeebysOwner have given you good advice.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't forget that the carrier/solvent used in Feliway products is alcohol.

Your cats probably don't like the smell of the alcohol. You need to give enough time for the alcohol to evaporate before letting cats into their crates.

Further, I suggest putting the preparation only on the outside of the crate. If you are spraying Feliway inside the crate any smells will be concentrated in a closed space. The smell might become overpowering.

I suggest to stop putting Feliway on their crates for several days to see if they come back after the crates air out.

Consider the stuff like perfume. A little bit is good. A lot is overpowering.
it have been a few days, so i'd think the alcohol have evaporated by now. i haven't sprayed since. but i forgot to mention, when i got the crates, i did put their beds in there, and i sprayed the beds. i just smelled the beds, it doesn't smell like alcohol or anything. all i can smell is my cats.
i'd wash the beds, but i'm afraid to wash away their scent, which might help them with the car ride and the vet

I wouldn't use the spray. Not all of these calming products work on all cats, and some even had 'reverse' effects. But the curious thing is that they now don't want in the crates, so that could pose a problem unto itself. If they like cat nip, you could try to place some inside the crates to 'offset' the spray. If not that, you could try to place some blankets/towels with their scent on them inside the crates as another option to offset the spray.

Do you know if they even need to have a calming product for a vet visit?
yeah, i've read about that. i did sprayed their beds, which were in the crates. but i'm afraid to wash the beds and their scent, as the vet is tomorrow. so i don't know what to do.

Well, i'm not sure sure if Gray and Tucker needs it, i think at worse, they will be wary, but nothing major. but daisy, i'm expecting her to little bit freaked out, she doesn't like attention unless she needs it and seeks it, she hates being pick up and hold, she always struggles to escape or tries to move away. she isn't aggressive, she is really sweet. and the car ride will be noisy, as there might be kids with. (i'm strongly hoping they won't be with). she really likes quiet.

i did bought vetriscience composure treats too, so i might just have to use those by itself, and hope its takes the edge off for her. i did emailed the vet asking them for suggestions to keep her calm, and the person suggested feliway and the treats. i'd email them again, and talk to them about this, but its the weekend, and chances are they won't read my email until after the visit.

Something like Feliway should be unsmellable to most or all humans, just as we don't smell the pheromones our cats use to mark us. So, can you smell what you sprayed on the cat carriers? If so, you put too much on them. Perhaps you can use a damp sponge to remove it?

Beyond that, I'd say that Caspers Human Caspers Human and FeebysOwner FeebysOwner have given you good advice.

Margret
it been a few days since i sprayed their crates and beds, but i just smelled them, and i couldn't smell anything besides what my cats smells like.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you sprayed their crates before they started sleeping in them, then perhaps it is not the calming spray at all - but the novelty of a new place to sleep is 'wearing off'. Layering another 'used' towel or blanket in the beds/crates might help too.

Nonetheless, covering most, if not all, of Daisy's crate might be helpful to keep her calm. If the cats would like music, play some calmer music. It seems to help Feeby stay calmer. I also talk to her as a distraction tactic too, using phrases that she is used to hearing when she is at home.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i did thought about just having them all in one big crate, as they cuddle with each other all the time, and get along well. so i was thinking, them being together might help keep them calm, but when stressed or anxious, they can be little bit cranky, and have little arguments with each other. nothing major, as they always forgive each other and seems to forgotten that they had a argument, as they will be cuddling 10 minutes later. but if they have that argument while in the car ride, things could escalate. so i decided just to have their own crates. i feel like that will be best.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you sprayed their crates before they started sleeping in them, then perhaps it is not the calming spray at all - but the novelty of a new place to sleep is 'wearing off'. Layering another 'used' towel or blanket in the beds/crates might help too.

Nonetheless, covering most, if not all, of Daisy's crate might be helpful to keep her calm. If the cats would like music, play some calmer music. It seems to help Feeby stay calmer. I also talk to her as a distraction tactic too, using phrases that she is used to hearing when she is at home.
yeah, maybe.

i'm not sure the cats likes calm music, as i never tried it on them, but when i played music on spotify, as it helps me sleep, they don't seem to be bother by it. i will have to try a distraction tactic, but they will be in the rear, and i will be in the front. but if the kids isn't with, then i could put them in the backseat?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
but they will be in the rear, and i will be in the front. but if the kids isn't with, then i could put them in the backseat?
You could, and even use the seatbelts to secure the crates. Can the kids 'go in the rear' if they have to go? That is kind of a joke, because I have no idea what the 'rear' of your vehicle is!!!!

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could, and even use the seatbelts to secure the crates. Can the kids 'go in the rear' if they have to go? That is kind of a joke, because I have no idea what the 'rear' of your vehicle is!!!!
i mean the trunk, there only one backseat and then there the trunk behind it. its a small SUV.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I assume the 'trunk' of a SUV is open to the rest of the interior, so there is proper air circulation? If not, good reason to say the kids cannot go.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume the 'trunk' of a SUV is open to the rest of the interior, so there is proper air circulation? If not, good reason to say the kids cannot go.
its open, so they should be getting air and some AC. i have no control over the kids, i can't decide if they can go or not, its depends on if one their parents stay home tomorrow, or they're at aunt's.. all i can do is voice my concerns and hope my mom don't think i'm overreacting or being unreasonable. as they just animals and they will be fine. and she thinks paying this much money on my cats or any animal is a bad idea. especially in today economy.

i'm taking them to the vet for routine checkup, which they never been to before, and for shots, which they only had when i got them fixed at the low cost spay and neuter place when their were kittens. well, Tucker have been to the vet 3 years ago, he did fine, so i already know what to expect from him. the plan was to take gray too, but i never gotten around it to, but i did gave them shots myself, Tucker gotten the rabies shot from the vet, as its illegal to give if you're not a vet in my state. Gray and Daisy didn't, as i never gotten around bringing them to the vet. so they beyond due for a rabies shot. they also will be getting the FeLV shots after they test them

the vet i use, offers wellness package lab work, which includes large chemistry panel, an SDMA, a CBC, a fecal and a triple test for heartworm, FIV an FeLV for pets under 7 years, for pets over 7 years of age, its the same, plus Total T4. its $89 and $99. i don't know if that a good deal around here? but since they're getting up in age, i want to be more proactive with their health. i'm not expecting the tests to show anything abnormal though. i also want to have a baseline too, so i know what normal when they're healthy.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats have super sensitive noses. At least as sensitive as a dog. Some scientists believe they might be more sensitive than dogs.

Cats have a smiliar-sized olfactory organ as dogs but they have more different types of receptor cells. They also have more neurons connecting their olfactory organ to their brains. Scientists believe that cats are probably AS SENSITIVE as dogs but can differentiate smells better.

Regardless of scientific facts, it's clear that cats depend on their sense of smell more than other animals.

With all that being said, I guess that your cats have become overwhelmed by too many scents in one place.

To draw a comparison, it would be like a human wearing too much cologne. When a person walks into a room after having a "bath" in cologne, other people often go, "Ick!" My theory is that's what's happening with you and your cats.

Let things air out for a while. Your cats will probably go back after the smell wears off.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
the vet i use, offers wellness package lab work, which includes large chemistry panel, an SDMA, a CBC, a fecal and a triple test for heartworm, FIV an FeLV for pets under 7 years, for pets over 7 years of age, its the same, plus Total T4. its $89 and $99. i don't know if that a good deal around here? but since they're getting up in age, i want to be more proactive with their health. i'm not expecting the tests to show anything abnormal though. i also want to have a baseline too, so i know what normal when they're healthy.
Good on you about getting a baseline for future comparisons!!! The cost sounds very reasonable to me for what testing is involved. I pay WAY more than that here in central Florida.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good on you about getting a baseline for future comparisons!!! The cost sounds very reasonable to me for what testing is involved. I pay WAY more than that here in central Florida.
yeah, well i already gotten a baseline for tucker, just need one for daisy and gray (i know i should gotten it done like when they were 2 or 3, but better late than never), in the end, i'm expecting to pay 680 in total, does that seems like alot? 67 for wellness exam, 30 for the each FeLV shot, i believe the rabies shot is included with the wellness package?

Jewely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used feliway spray for years at various times with no issues until we moved to a much smaller place. My boy would throw up. I may have sprayed too much, but I stopped using it. I never sprayed it with him in the same room but he would throw up for days in very small amounts. I rarely used it so was disappointed to figure that out.
I would suggest rubbing their beds with something else that has their scents or even yours, to put back their scent. You could rub on another blanket or toy maybe. Or set a worn T-shirt or pillowcase over the bed from the person(s) they’re closest to.
I use Rescue Remedy for pets now for social situations and gabapentin for the vet.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
i'm expecting to pay 680 in total, does that seems like alot? 67 for wellness exam, 30 for the each FeLV shot, i believe the rabies shot is included with the wellness package?
Considering I can pay over $200 for a physical exam and total blood work - no urinalysis, no fecal, and nothing to do with shots - it would seem reasonable. Again, the costs vary all over the place depending on the vet and the location, of course. You could always call around (for future knowledge) to other vets and get estimates/quotes - just as a comparison.

The only other thing to be mindful of is getting too many shots at once, especially for the cats who have not had them previously. You can ask the vet how they feel about that. Normally, it is no big deal, it just sometimes is more inclined to cause a temporary reaction.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats have super sensitive noses. At least as sensitive as a dog. Some scientists believe they might be more sensitive than dogs.

Cats have a smiliar-sized olfactory organ as dogs but they have more different types of receptor cells. They also have more neurons connecting their olfactory organ to their brains. Scientists believe that cats are probably AS SENSITIVE as dogs but can differentiate smells better.

Regardless of scientific facts, it's clear that cats depend on their sense of smell more than other animals.

With all that being said, I guess that your cats have become overwhelmed by too many scents in one place.

To draw a comparison, it would be like a human wearing too much cologne. When a person walks into a room after having a "bath" in cologne, other people often go, "Ick!" My theory is that's what's happening with you and your cats.

Let things air out for a while. Your cats will probably go back after the smell wears off.
you might be correct, i did spray little bit generously, i should have realize less is more. so would you suggest throwing their beds in the washer for a quick wash with no soap or even just a rinse?. would that diluted it? i dont want to wash away their scent though

I used feliway spray for years as times with no issues until we moved to a much smaller place. My boy would throw up. I may have sprayed too much, but I stopped using it. I never sprayed it with him in the same room but he would throw up for days in very small amounts. I rarely used it so was disappointed to figure that out.
I would suggest rubbing their beds with something else that has their scents or even yours, to put back their scent. You could rub on another blanket or toy maybe. Or set a worn T-shirt or pillowcase over the bed from the person(s) they’re closest to.
I use Rescue Remedy for pets now for social situations and gabapentin for the vet.
i never tried rescue remedy, i know about gabapentin, i will ask at the visit, for next time.
yeah, i think i may have used too much, but it been a few days, so i don't know if that was enough time to air it out. i will try rubbing towel on them, and onto the beds

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Considering I can pay over $200 for a physical exam and total blood work - no urinalysis, no fecal, and nothing to do with shots - it would seem reasonable. Again, the costs vary all over the place depending on the vet and the location, of course. You could always call around (for future knowledge) to other vets and get estimates/quotes - just as a comparison.

The only other thing to be mindful of is getting too many shots at once, especially for the cats who have not had them previously. You can ask the vet how they feel about that. Normally, it is no big deal, it just sometimes is more inclined to cause a temporary reaction.
they have gotten all the shots before, Tucker and gray have gotten their first shots when they were just under a year old at the low cost clinic, which was rabies and the other core shots. daisy were a year or two when she gotten her shots. fast forward to 2019, i bought them shots at the store, and give it to each of them. only tucker have gotten rabies shot, so he gotten it 2 times, so tomorrow will be 3 times. they never gotten FeLV shots, so i don't know how they're going to react.
Tucker and Gray is now 8 years old, and daisy is a year or two younger.

they didn't have any problems last time, so i don't think they will have a problem this time.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well the kids are coming with. its only 20 or 30 minutes car ride, it won't to be that bad? will it? hopefully they will be quiet or quiet enough. i should've postpone it when i thought of it. on a day they're at school. but too late now.