throwing up raw

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK - I occasionally give my guys a little bit of grass fed stew beef ... they seem to like it... but a couple of times at least one of them horked it back up... essentially unchewed.

It may have been the same kitty or different. I think it may have been Archie this time...

It is a reaction to the meat - as in cannot tolerate pure beef or it was SO GOOD That they ate it so fast w/o chewing that it came back up? They didn't get much - not even a half-ounce each.

If it's the former... I will have to stop with the beef I guess.

If it is the latter - what is the answer? Smaller pieces.. long strips so they have to chew it?

I am really keen to get Ghost in particular to chew larger chunks of this ... he hesitated.. rolling it around in his mouth and then dropping it on the carpet. Sniffed it again and picked it up and began using those back teeth. I am hoping it will help clean them b/c they are already starting to cake up again in spite of my best efforts. He had a dental in May. I am thinking he must have a lot of the plaque-forming bacteria in his mouth.

As an aside - Jake caught on pretty quickly... he was nom-nom-nomming the chunk of meat on those side teeth. GOOD BOY!!! Prowler chewed it and left the chunks there... essentially squeezing the "juice" out of the meat.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some silly questions?'s
Is this Solely grass beef? or is it started on grass finished on grain?
Are you feeding on a flat plate?
Beef is a known though IMHO not a Common allergen

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Some silly questions?'s
Is this Solely grass beef? or is it started on grass finished on grain?
Are you feeding on a flat plate?
Beef is a known though IMHO not a Common allergen
Solely grass fed.
http://maitlandfamilyfarm.com/

A mix of flat plate and handing it to them piece by piece.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay unless it is the hay ( drying process) you may have beef issues on your hands...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Okay unless it is the hay ( drying process) you may have beef issues on your hands...
They have had beef cat food before and everyone is fine with it. Should I try a grain-fed beef product - like organic meat but not grass? They are fine with chicken.

I can just use the rest of the grass-fed beef cubes to make some stew or chili.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

OK - I occasionally give my guys a little bit of grass fed stew beef ... they seem to like it... but a couple of times at least one of them horked it back up... essentially unchewed.

It may have been the same kitty or different. I think it may have been Archie this time...

It is a reaction to the meat - as in cannot tolerate pure beef or it was SO GOOD That they ate it so fast w/o chewing that it came back up? They didn't get much - not even a half-ounce each.

If it's the former... I will have to stop with the beef I guess.

If it is the latter - what is the answer? Smaller pieces.. long strips so they have to chew it?

I am really keen to get Ghost in particular to chew larger chunks of this ... he hesitated.. rolling it around in his mouth and then dropping it on the carpet. Sniffed it again and picked it up and began using those back teeth. I am hoping it will help clean them b/c they are already starting to cake up again in spite of my best efforts. He had a dental in May. I am thinking he must have a lot of the plaque-forming bacteria in his mouth.

As an aside - Jake caught on pretty quickly... he was nom-nom-nomming the chunk of meat on those side teeth. GOOD BOY!!! Prowler chewed it and left the chunks there... essentially squeezing the "juice" out of the meat.
Hi, AddieBee!

Beef is far and away my Rachel's favorite meat. Unfortunately, she likes it so much that the first few times I offered it, she basically gulped it down without any chewing at all; naturally, she tossed it right back up.

So I started cutting her beef chunks in half - thankfully, that solved the problem immediately. Over the next several months, I slowly increased the size of her chunks and now, almost a full two years later, she's eating beef with no problems at all.

Good luck to you!

AC

P.S. Congrats on Jake picking it up so quickly; it's always nice when they do that.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

They have had beef cat food before and everyone is fine with it. Should I try a grain-fed beef product - like organic meat but not grass? They are fine with chicken.

I can just use the rest of the grass-fed beef cubes to make some stew or chili.
No grain feed IMHO would be more likely to cause a reaction... See I am using me as a guinea pig
.... If I eat beef that ate wheat I will get sick... grass fed or corn fed no issues...

Remember though it seems Odd to Us ... Raw and cooked can cause allergies in a both or either or format... ie cooked beef cat food no issue, raw beef could be an issue

Auntie could also be right ... maybe she need micro sized and go up gradually... I have not had that experience but it seem logical

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beef is well liked here too.

I wouldn't write off beef just yet without trying smaller bits first. It seems to be common for cats who eat too fast to throw it back up, whether it's raw, tinned or dry.